Seoul, Korea - Itinerary Suggestions for 3 full days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I (age 60 and 55) arrive on the evening of Jan 14 and leave on Jan 18th
We have 3 full days - any suggestions for an itinerary would be most appreciated!
Also, best way to get from airport to a central hotel?
Old Nov 5th, 2013, 07:13 PM

My husband and I visited for one week in February. Here are some of the places we liked: Insadong, Korean National Museum, Gwanghwamun. We took a taxi from the airport to the city center.

Here's our trip report with details and links: http://latitudeb.com/winter-seoul/.
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 03:50 AM

The Ntional Museum and the Korean War Museum are both nice. The palaces are also great for visiting. Insadong and Myeongdong are fun neighborhoods for wandering around. Insadong has traditional tea shops, souvenirs, street food, Korean restaurants and whatnot. Myongdong has more Western chin stores but the activity on the narrow streets through the neighborhood are fun.

Shopping in Dongdaemun and Namdaemun is an experience. Crazy busy but fun.

Dress warmly as it will be bitterly cold.

Getting to the city can be fairly easy on the Arex subway. Check out the interactive Seoul subway map on line for help. Most signs are in English and Korean so it's doable. You don't mention which airport. Incheon is much further out and a cab would be pricey. The fare to/from Gimpo is around $30, not sure what the Incheon rate is.
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 03:52 AM

Forgot to mention a trip to the DMZ is very interesting. The USO runs very good tours. You do need to book early though.
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

We are flying in and out of the Inchon airport... do you know if the trains are super crowded heading in from the airport?
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 09:51 PM

Hello, I just planned this itinerary for my parents' visit to Korea. They are very similar to you and your husband in age.
It's 9 days, so definitely possible to mix/match. I have also included famous restaurants and you should order at the restaurants.

http://eatstretchexplore.blogspot.co...in-9-days.html

I would recommend, however, to forgo the trip to Mt. Seorak just because of the distance and the weather in January.

Where in central Seoul is your hotel? Depending on how familiar you are with the subways and Korean, it may be difficult to navigate at first.

The trains from the airport are not very crowded since this line basically goes to and from the airport, but if you have to transfer within Seoul, it will likely be crowded. Depending on how much baggage you have, it may be worth the extra money to take the airport limousine, I know my parents appreciated the limousine after taking a long flight.

I would also advise against taking an airport taxi, especially from the taxi drivers waiting at the gate. They will rip you off, especially if you look foreign. So, I'd stick with the limousine or the train and then once you get into Seoul, you can take a taxi. There's free interpretation if you need if. I tend to also, personally, take the Haechi company taxis just because I feel that taking a more recognized brand is better.
Old Dec 25th, 2013, 02:00 PM

Three we really liked:

N Seoul Tower
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N_Seoul_Tower

Blue House (Presiden't Home) -Arrange tour in advance for security clearance
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_House

And as mentioned above, DMZ