Southern India

Oct 5th, 2003, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

Southern India

I will be going to India for four weeks in December, and then travelling from Trivandrum up to Delhi by train. My plan is to travel from Trivandrum to Kochi during the first two weeks, visiting the backwaters and other attractions along the way, and then move on to Bangalore and Mysore, before catching a sleeper up to Delhi.

What will I need to do, which attractions must I visit and where should I stay to make this journey a memorable trip of a lifetime?
Oct 13th, 2003, 12:58 AM

Hi
I live in Trivandrum and perhaps I could be of some help here. My suggestion is this - Spend time in Kovalam beach /move on to the backwaters and then on to the highlands. Visit the wildlife sanctuary at Thekkady A day or so later,maybe Munnar as its only a step away. Cochin is next in Line and you would have covered all the touristy places in Kerala.
There are many bus /trains services upto Bangalore and Mysore. So that should not be a problem.
Another suggestion is that you book early as you will be in Kerala during the peak season Using an agent would be a good idea for you would be needing a car for the Kerala part unless you plan on using the Govt. bus services. Need any info Help drop aline at [email protected]
Cheers
Bibiana
Oct 30th, 2003, 06:59 PM

Do not know if you have already finalized. Some off beat suggestions. Do a banana boat overnight cruise on the back waters. Stay in a tree house near Waynaad, Greean magic Nature Resort. Heard rave reviews. In Wayanaad also think of plantationhideaway, a boutique property in a tea plantation. e-mail me on [email protected]. Can also recommend travel agents.
Oct 30th, 2003, 09:10 PM

You did not mention your budget, but at the high end I would recommend:

The Taj West End in Bangalore - really fond memories of the place!

and

The Lalitha Mahal Palace in Mysore.

Bangalore probably has more deluxe hotels by now, since it is absolutely booming.

South India! What a great experience! And so different from North India!

Have fun!
Jason
Oct 31st, 2003, 01:53 PM

To Ken: Have you been to a travel clinic to check on shots, etc? Usually something is needed, esp. malaria prophylaxis.