Some questions about Guam/Saipan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never been to Guam/Saipan. However, I have been the the Caribbean, Hawaii and Bermuda. I would like to know how the islands of Micronesia compare to these places. Is Guam/Saipan worth visiting? Also, how long would you recommend we spend there. Thanks.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 01:08 PM

I too am really interested in this, have always wanted to go to Guam, can't find that much info and yet apparently masses of tourists from Japan visit both places, what is there to see/do? Anyone any clues on the Visa situation? Do you get a U.S Visa (if you can ) or what? CO/Micronesia fly out of Taipei and also I believe HKG so there are plenty of people goint there.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 12:52 PM

I wished Saipan with my husband mid Nov.2003. It is a very small island and has a lot of history from World War 2 for the Japanese people. There is a bluff where the Japanese soldiers committed suicide rather than surrender. Since the island is very small you could see it in a few hours from one end to the other. The weather when we were there was 75% rain so we didn't get a lot of suntanning done but the island is beautiful itself. Since the island is so small I would recommend only staying about 3 days unless you really want to rest up and justlaz around.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 12:55 PM

I visited Saipan with my husband mid Nov.2003. It is a very small island and has a lot of history from World War 2 for the Japanese people. There is a bluff where the Japanese soldiers committed suicide rather than surrender. Since the island is very small you could see it in a few hours from one end to the other. The weather when we were there was 75% rain so we didn't get a lot of suntanning done but the island is beautiful itself. Since the island is so small I would recommend only staying about 3 days unless you really want to rest up and justlaz around.
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 01:06 PM

i have lived in guam for almost 10 years and attended grade school in one of their religiously based schools. when people ask me what life was like in guam, i tell them, to put it simply, that it is similar to hawaii. guam is a small island, but it has so much to offer. sounds trite, but it is warm if not very hot most of the year- with occasional typhoons. it has a strong culture with guamnians still speaking their own language, chamorro. yes, there are coconut palm trees and hula dancers, but the island has its own history and current events which would interest the young and old alike. japanese tourists flock to the island to catch some rays and shop at the duty-free (tax free) stores, plus guam is relatively close to japan. all in all, guam is a great secret location to explore. people are hesitant to visit this island because some frankly have told me that "it doesn't sound as exotic as puerto rico". well, unfortunate for them, they are missing out. hang out with the locals if you can, and you'll get a far better view of how friendly and strongly bonded the guamanians are. you don't need a visa or passport as guam is part of the u.s. territory. since it is a small island, i'd suggest 3-4 days and visit saipan for 1-2 days. don't forget to visit a hotel that serves cocktails right at the bar located in the swimming pool!
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 05:05 AM

Thanks Happytraveller good info, we are 'non US citizens?', our travel agent has a great travel agents book about visas etc but under Micronesia/Guam could find no reference, I guess I could try the U.S. Embassy but would you know off hand the 'status' of Guam i.e would it be classed as the U.S? in terms of visas