Reload this Page >

Solo female traveller - Bangkok

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 02:07 AM
Kathy

I will be in Bangkok for five days and enjoy travelling on my own. I would like to be able to walk part of the city, especially the shopping areas. How safe is it out and about on your own during the day? Has anyone hired a personal guide? Areas to stay away from etc? Best transport to use? Any tips would be gratefully received.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 10:41 AM
Marilyn

I think you are completely safe by yourself during the day in any well-populated area. You certainly don't need a guide for the major sights (Grand Palace, Wat Pho, etc) or for shopping. I would use the skytrain if it was convenient, because traffic is so bad. Second choice would be taxi -- they are very inexpensive. The tuk-tuks are "cute", but 5 minutes in an exposed carriage in Bangkok traffic is equal to 5 years of smoking a pack a day, IMHO.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 02:16 PM
scigirl

I was on my own in Bangkok last year. (My husband was there working - so I did all the exploring solo.) I felt very safe and walked all over the city (say 6-8 hours of walking per day). I walked through tourist areas and also regular neighborhoods. Be sure to get a good map. Taxis are also very inexpensive. Make sure they use their meter. It is helpful to have a business card for your hotel to show the taxi driver. You can also ask someone at the hotel to write out in Thai the name of any place you want to visit - that way you can ask (mime) for directions or catch a taxi if needed. The skytrain is very easy to use and inexpensive. You can buy a single ticket or a card that is good for a certain number of rides. Take a scarf of hankie to hold over your mouth in really smoggy areas - like Chinatown.<BR><BR>Have a good trip.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 02:43 PM
John G

Bangkok is completely safe during the day where tourists lurk.<BR><BR>For shopping, it is very easy to walk around the sois of Chinatown. To go to Siam Square Mall, just take the Skytrain, it is very easy. <BR><BR>Where are you staying, Kathy? It is very easy to get to Chinatown, Grand Palace, Wat Arun, Wat Po, etc. if you are staying at one of the luxury hotels on the Chao Phraya by taking the ferry.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 02:48 PM
John G

The Oriental, Shangri-la, and Peninsula all have shuttle boats to take you right to the Skytrain station. (That is why I think it is so convenient to stay at one of these hotels.)<BR><BR>I had a personal guide and car with driver when I was in Bangkok, however, I also did things on my own (like going to Chinatown).<BR><BR>Even if you don't stay at the Oriental, please visit the hotel because it is part of the history of Bangkok.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 04:40 PM
kathy

Thanks so much for your invaluable help. I'll be staying on Petchburi Road

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 06:47 AM
John

Bangkok is one of the safest cities on earth. That doesn't mean you should be blaze but problems are unlikly.