Alone in Bangkok - need help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! I will be in Bangkok by myself for 3 days before meeting up with friends in Chiang Mai. I'm a 32-year-old female - I've travelled extensively in Europe & North America but this will be my first trip to Asia.

I arrive at midnight on January 18th (flying in from Vancouver) so I'm sure most of the morning of the 19th will be a write off. My flight to Chiang Mai is at 4 p.m. on the 21st.

My question is more around timing, transportation and safety. Does this itinerary make sense?

JANUARY 19th
afternoon: Khao San Road
dusk: Wat Arun

JANUARY 20th
early morning: Grand Palace & Wat Po
afternoon: Safari World

JANUARY 21st
early morning: Chatuchak Weekend Market

I will be back in Bangkok with my friends February 7-9 and we plan on seeing Chinatown, Jim Thompson's House, Lumphini Park, Red Cross Snake Farm, Wat Saket, and maybe a day trip to a floating market.

I'm staying at Lebua on Silom Road.

Any suggestions around the proposed itinerary? Any suggestions on the best way to get to each of these places (taxi, MTR, tuk tuk?).

This is also my first time being alone while travelling - which I'm both excited about and terrified about. Reassurance I'll be safe in Bangkok?????
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 01:20 PM

Bangkok is probably safer than your own home town. Just use common sense.

Whether your itinerary makes sense depends a lot on what your interests are. I'm not sure why you want to see a backpacker enclave, for instance, or safari world, but if that's what you want to do in Bangkok, you should do it.

Public transport is the best way to get around - the Skytrain, the water taxis, and the subway system. When a place you want to go isn't on one of these routes, a taxi is a better bet than a tuk-tuk. Tuk-tuks almost always end up being more expensive. In any case, in a taxi always insist that the driver use the meter. If he refuses to turn it on, get out. Also, don't agree to take a taxi or a tuk tuk that wants to take you to a jewelry store or a tailor.
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 02:14 PM

For your trips to the Grand Palace / Wat Arun area, I would suggest using the Chao Phraya express boats. The orange flag boat will get you to your destinations for 15 baht. Even better, they will get you back, without having to deal with taxis around the Palace area.

The Grand Palace is accessed from pier #9, "Tha Chang". From there, you can head just south of the Palace to visit Wat Pho. Pier #8, "Tha Tian" is at the end of the road between Wat Pho and the Palace. This is where you can catch the cross river ferry to Wat Arun, and/or catch the express boat back to your hotel Your hotel is accessed by either Pier #1, "Oriental", or the "Sathorn" Central pier.

Around the area of the Grand Palace / Wat Pho, you will, most likely, be approached by friendly strangers offering advice. Some will even be wearing uniforms and pass themselves off as "tourist police" or other authority. The typical ploy is to point out the the Palace is closed. Politely ignore all these clowns and proceed directly to the Palace entrance.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6100/6...9cc5fca2_b.jpg

You can also visit Khaosan using the express boats.The pier would be #13, "Phra Arthit".

http://g.co/maps/m85wt
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 02:18 PM

I feel safe in Bangkok (but I do use caution) as a single traveller, female. I've been many times, and have made many friends over the years, so I'm not really 'alone' in the same sense that you will be.

I like to stay very close to the skytrain. LeBua is not close to any of the stations. You will probably be taking taxis most of the time. The doorman at your building should be able to instruct the taxi driver on your destination, as well as making sure he turns on the meter.

In 25 trips to Bangkok, I have yet to want to visit Khao San Road. Not sure what the attraction is..... but to each his own.

I can't imagine being in Bangkok and not spending some time shopping and exploring the Thai mall (MBK) and the area called Siam Square, where young Thai designers show their wares. I also enjoy the street markets in Sukhumvit and Silom areas. I'm glad to see that you plan to visit the weekend market. It's fantastic! Early for me is arriving around 10. Some vendors are not yet open, but most are there and ready to do business by 10am.

Enjoy your visit to Thailand.

Carol
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like Kathie, not sure why you want to visit KSR, unless it's to see what the backpackers are wearing this year. I used to go by to buy second hand guidebooks, but it isn't even good for that now,

BTW, Wat Pho has a massage school tucked away at the back, where you can get a good Thai massage for not too much.
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 02:20 AM

Congrats on your trip www.sawadee.com good info for tours.www.virtualtourist.com excellent postings from
locals.Overll quite safe for solo females if careful
www.journeywoman.com good tips.Money belt buddy system
buy my own drinks at nice places watch them mixednever share cabs always use LABELED cabs.Check all consualr advisories

www.travel.state.gov STEP program.www.insuremytrip.com

Always wise for me so no worries then relax have fun!
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much!

So instead of Khao San, I'll spend that time wandering the street markets of Sukhumvit and Silom.

I appreciate your help!
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 10:12 AM

The 'noon markets' in the Silom area are sometimes interesting. Lots of activity there, as lots of office people take their lunch/shopping break around noon. There are some alleys lined with stalls. Don't be afraid to follow them back into the deeper markets/building(s). You'll be safe. No problem at all. Just try to remember how you came in, so you can retrace your steps.... haha. I've gotten some interesting handmade jewelry items in this area.

Happy looking!
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 10:15 AM

Forgot to mention... you'll probably be quite wide awake on the 19th, but will fade quickly around 4-5pm. Try not to go to sleep that early. I've made the mistake of taking a 'nap' at that time, and then I wake up (finally) about 3 in the morning and can't go back to sleep. Stay awake as long as you can. Walking around the neighborhoods is a good way to do that... especially around Sukhumvit. Soi 11 to Asok, and Soi 8 to Asok. There is a new mall at Asok/Sukhumvit with lots and lots of food options.
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 11:34 AM

there is lots to see along silom and between your hotel and the river---the whole new road area...

cross KSR off your list... i also see no reason for the weekend market---way too hot and a huge hastle---go instead to platinum fashion mall for a few hours...

you can easily walk to the river from your hotel---ask them for pier directions to get the boats...

no damgers at all!!
Old Dec 13th, 2011, 09:08 AM

I kind of like Kho San road myself, for a short visit I think it is fun for the outrageous kind of people watching etc. I fell for the 'palace is closed' routine, even though I read about it. They are very convincing.

I travelled alone without any worries. Just use common sense and you will be fine.
Old Dec 15th, 2011, 04:13 PM

"I arrive at midnight on January 18th (flying in from Vancouver) so I'm sure most of the morning of the 19th will be a write off."

It is only a write off if you sleep to noon. The sooner you get your body on Thai time the easier it is to adjust to the time changes. I wouldn't sleep much past 8 a.m. if possible.

No Skytrain service in the Khao San Road area. Meter taxis will be cheaper than tuk-tuks. When you use a meter taxi in Bangkok only use the meter and have small bills and change to pay the driver. The fare you pay is for everyone in a meter taxi not per passenger. Meter starts at 35 baht. If you bargain the cost of a ride in a taxi you will pay more than the meter. I usually avoid parked taxis in front of hotels because they usually want to bargain the cost and you pay more. Wave a moving taxi over on the street, tell the driver to use the meter, when he agrees then get in. Most drivers you wave over will use the meter. (Meter starts at 35 baht.)

Rail service:
http://www.urbanrail.net/as/bang/bangkok.htm
http://bangkok.sawadee.com/skytrain.htm

The Skytrain can take you to Chatuchak, MBK, Siam area, Sukhumvit Road area and other places. The Skytrain also connects with the Rail Link and that takes you to the airport. The Skytrain also connects with the subway and the subway can take you to the Hualamphong Train Station. No rail service after midnight until 6 a.m.

Have fun.
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 12:26 AM

I actually LOVE the weekend Market , so if it were me( and it isn't) I would add it on your list.
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 11:16 AM

I am admittedly a certified shopaholic but nothing beats Chatuchak Market for shopping and/or browsing, people watching, a huge variety of snacks, foods and drinks. I usually go there all day both Saturday and Sunday and sometimes half a day on Friday as well. And I've been there well over 30 times and have still not seen the entire market.

I also don't like KSR, unless you want to meet young western backpackers (as opposed to local Thais) and eat bland food. But then everyone has different tastes.

Also, almost anywhere you go in Bangkok there will be lots of places to eat good food, do some people watching and just soak in the atmosphere, even if it's a plush air conditioned mall. Do be prepared for difficult sidewalks.

Also, if you are intimidated by going to the Wats and Grand Palace by yourself, you can always sign up for an inexpensive group tour at any of the numerous travel agencies, no need to book more than a day in advance. They will handle transportation, guides and usher you past the scams and touts as well.

enjoy!