Sofitel Hua Hin

Nov 11th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Carol

Sofitel Hua Hin

Can anybody please tell me if they have been to the Sofitel Hua Hin Hotel and whether or not they consider it to be snooty or snobbish? We certainly don't mind staying at very nice hotels but not if the atmosphere is one of snobbishness. I have heard that the hotel's pools are wonderful and that is swaying our decision to stay there rather than the Marriott.
Also, are meals overly expensive at the Sofitel?
Can anybody help? We are going to Hua Hin for 6 nights. Is that too much?

Nov 11th, 2002, 03:27 PM
Veronica

I agree, I don't like these places that impose a 'snobby' attitude on their guests. It is a simply magnificent hotel, everyone says it is just like Raffles of Singapore and that's true. Lovely place to vsiit, have afternoon tea. However I honestly would say the beach in front of the Sofitel is narrow and there are a lot of rocks, at the Marriott and Hyatt the beach is wide and smooth sand. The gardens and pools at the Marriott are quite nice. There is a beachside restaurant where they have BBQ and buffet at night under the stars, lovely. It is very laid back and although it is still a Marriott I would say they appreciate that they are also a beach holiday resort and it is relaxed and laid back.
The choice really depends on you, the Sofitel is a truly marvelous hotel but from your post I get the idea that perhaps you might seek a more laid-back beach hotel.
Although I would suggest tea at the Sofitel, it will cost you more than a full dinner in town! For a 3-course meal at a very nice restaurant in Hua Hin you would pay perhaps US$5-6, I hope you get the picture.

Nov 11th, 2002, 03:35 PM
Veronica

Carol, this link has nice photos of hotels and a lot of detail on them, and fairly decent prices.

http://www.hua-hin-cha-am-hotels.5u.com/

There's lots of local tours, national park, river cruise, caves, waterfall, elephant rides, hilltirbe villages, golf, sailing ( at the Marriott ), you can get to the River Kwai in 3 hours for a day trip but I think a 2 day and 1 night trip is better. You can snorkel at Koh Talu a couple of hours south along the coast.

Nov 12th, 2002, 07:51 AM
Cousin Oliver

I inspected the Sofitel myself back in September and it's truly a beautiful hotel. I don't think it's snobbish at all. You'll find lots of Austrailans and Germans. Amazing manicured lawn animals, expansive grounds, british colonial feel. Even the "standard" room is lovely. Lots of pools, etc. The Spa is gorgeous and the staff does a great job in making you feel relaxed. It's right in town but the hotel itself is quiet. I agree with the other poster in saying the beach is kinda rocky. If you go, tell the Resident Manager, Marc Cherrier that one of the travel agents from the September Travel Bound Fam sent you, who knows!

Nov 15th, 2002, 10:31 AM
Ren Moore

Sofitel in Hua Hin is I believe one of the most beautifull beach hotels in Asia, if not the best. The early century design is impressive. Gardens, pools, service, excellent.