Reload this Page >

Dusit Resort and Polo Club, Hua Hin

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 10:59 PM
Christine

I was reading a message that had been posted where the comment was made that the Dusit Resort and Polo Club, Hua Hin can be quite "snobbish". Have other people found this to be true? Can an "average" tourist feel quite comfortable here for a few days?<BR>My husband and I were considering staying 4 nights athe the Hua Hin Marriott and 3 nights at the Dusit Resort? Is this too long in Hua Hin/Cha Am?

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 11:18 PM
dko3tgk

I haven't stayed at the Dusit. My boss stayed at the Dusit Thani in Bangkok and he mentioned cystal chandeliers in the suite and a butler. <BR>The Marriott is not in the same class. You can tell from the price difference. I stayed in the Marriott since the Dusit was out of my range. However, I found the Hua Hin Marriott to be great. Faciliteis were well kept and nice. Food was good. Beach was clean. Rooms were spacious and very new feeling. Very nicely landscaped with little ponds, torches and fountains everwhere. The spa is in the middle of a lagoon. The staff was my friendliest staff to date in SE Asia. Except for Bali, but it was a very small private resort. Another reason to stay at the Marriott is the location. It's a short 10 minute walk to town. Where you can find internet cafes, 7-11, souvenirs, and restaurants, which are a nice change to paying hotel prices. I also brought pad thai noodles at the night market for the equivalent of 50 cents US and brought it back to my room to eat some nights. Or you can take a samlor, which is a bicycyle rickshaw for about $1.25 USD back to the Marriott. I beleive the Dusit is miles from town. I myself am an average tourist who likes a nice accomodation, and I would defeinitley go back to the Hua Hin Marriott. <BR>If you are worried about time. In my opinion seven nights is too long. Unless your husband is a big golfer. Hua hin is the golf region of Thailand. Many courses in the area, that can be booked through your hotel. Not much in the way of snorkelling. The water isn't so clear. Not dirty, but not the tropical island blue either. Or if you are looking for 8 days of spa treatments and golf. Then it should be fine. But for me there really isn't a huge amount of activities in this region other than the ones I mentioned. But it's nice. Although it is a tourist town. It doesn't feel as western exploited as Phuket. It still has a distinct Thai feel to it. Many Thai use Hau Hin as their short doemstic vaction spot.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 02:50 AM
Rolf

I agree with the previous poster. The Marriott is not as 'classy' as the Dusit but it provides everything you need for a really nice beach resort, and yet it is only a short way into town. There 'are' places to snorkel quite close, Koh Singto is about 20 minutes from town, not for the real experts but we found it interesting thought the water was not that clear. It was a different case when we took the day tour to Bang Saphan and Koh Talu. It too about 2 hours, pleaseant drive through countryside on a very good road. They provide all the snorkel gear and take you 10 minutes off the shore to the small islands. A lovely day out. Take the river boat cruise on the Pranburi river at Pak Nam Pran (not too sure of spelling ), that's about 40 minutes away.<BR>I would not change hotels though. The Marriott is good value. Why not just upgrade to one of the better rooms there.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Maria Lo

If you want luxury close to central Hua Hin go for the Sofitel, it is amazing, right on the beach, very long and wide beach with palm tress where the Sofitel gardens meet the sands, lovely, one of the best! Some rate the Hua Hin Hyatt Regency very highly also though it had not been built when we were last there. One advantage of Hua Hin and Cha Am is that when they say the hotels are 'on the beach' they mean it, not across a busy beach road and up a hill like in some places we've been.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 10:04 AM
Maria Lo

If you want luxury close to central Hua Hin go for the Sofitel, it is amazing, right on the beach, very long and wide beach with palm tress where the Sofitel gardens meet the sands, lovely, one of the best! Some rate the Hua Hin Hyatt Regency very highly also though it had not been built when we were last there. One advantage of Hua Hin and Cha Am is that when they say the hotels are 'on the beach' they mean it, not across a busy beach road and up a hill like in some places we've been.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 01:22 AM
Leny

Perhaps you could have a few days at the Evason at Pranburi. About half an hour south of Hua Hin. The pool villas are well worth the little extra. The Evason is around $100 a night in peak season.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 06:24 PM
bob

i spent 6 days in hua hin last month...we stayed at the marriott...we visited most of the other major ones...we made a good choice...many are more formal than you might like...marriott was just right..it also has the best pool and biggest beach area which compliment each other

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 07:30 PM
MichaelGarvey

I recently stayed at the Dusit in Pattaya and found it to be a nice, comfortable hotel. I didn't feel any &quot;snobbery&quot; whether I was in dress pants or shorts and sandals.<BR><BR>Again this was the Dusit in Pattaya, so obviously this may be different in Hua Hin.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 11:13 PM
Margo

Shorts are fine anywhere, I just think they want to avoid really scruffy dress.<BR>Although there is no dress 'code' at all, you will see walking around Hua Hin in the evenings people tend to dress somewhat smarter than the 'vest and baggies' that seem to be the norm in other beach towns! Not snobbish but it is much more a 'cocktail and people watching' place than a 'hey, how many beers can you drink before falling over?' type of scene. That's why I love it!