Single woman first time in Thailand

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2014, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a 46 year old Canadian woman heading to Thailand for the month of November.
I've traveled all over the world but never for a month by myself. First time in Asia as well.
I hear Thailand is relatively safe, but any tips on single travel are appreciated.

My itinerary is still in flexible state other than few flights.
Saving Bangkok to the end of my trip I will spend the first week in Chiang Mai.
Then flying to Krabi for 5 days, 4 days in Oa Nang before hopping onto ferry to Ko Lanta for week..
My last 5 days will be spent exploring Bangkok.

Few questions to those of you with experience..
-I want to do several snorkeling excursions and I would prefer smaller less crowded boats and places. Any recommendations? From Krabi, Oa Nang or Ko Lanta
-Evenings wondering around towns by myself. Any safety issues I should be aware of? Provided I use common sense..
-Hotel safes. Are they safe? And hotel staff. How careful do I need to be with leaving stuff in my room?
-Taxis etc. I will be using them on my own. Safety issues?
- Scooter rentals. Never driven one, will that be an issue? Figured I've sailed around the world, how hard can driving a scooter be ;-) I would not rent one in the bigger cities, mostly for getting around to beaches etc in smaller places.
-Is there a singles forum or any other place I could connect with others on their own?
Or any particular restaurant/bar I can visit and hope to connect with likeminded people.
It would be nice to have company every now and then.

Any advice and information would be greatly appreciated! I'm really looking forward to this trip and want to make it as easy and worry free as possible.
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 10:01 AM

I'd don't know where you live, but I'd be willing to bet that all the places you've mentioned in Thailand are safer than where you live. Crime against persons is very uncommon in Thailand. While there are some well-known scams "The palace/wat/etc is closed today. I can take you to a place to buy jewelry/suits/etc" One of my first visits to Thailand in the late 1980s, I remember seeing a sign at my hotel that said "Please do not buy gems at the beach as you would not in your own country." Good advice. Sometimes people leave their common sense at home.

For snorkeling excursions, talk with the various places offering excursions and see what they offer, Other visitors at your hotel (and hotel staff) can also recommend (or not) various local excursions.

Common sense (which seems to be quite uncommon) is enough to keep you safe wandering around towns by yourself. Do watch for traffic - a greater danger than crime.

Taxis are fine - do insist on the drivers using the meter. Any driver who refuses, just get out. In some smaller places you may find taxis without meters. In that case, make sure to negotiate the fare before you get into the taxi. (Check with your hotel about what the approximate fare should be.)

Scooter rentals. If you've never driven a scooter, what makes you think you can do it in Thailand? A place with signs in a different script, driving on the opposite side of the road, unfamiliar driving conventions... Be aware that motor scooter accidents are the leading cause of death both for locals and for visitors.

In my experience, it's very easy to meet other travelers. Wherever you are staying there are likely to be other travelers and you will no doubt strike up conversations. No need to seek out particular places to meet others. You'll find other travelers everywhere.

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 10:04 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Having traveled in Thailand a number of times on my own and at a more advanced age than yours, I'll make a blanket statement, Thailand is safe.

I think you're over-thinking it a bit, as we all do in advance of a new experience. Just go about the business of having a good time and the answers to nearly all your questions will become apparent.

I will say, though, you might want to rethink the scooter reasoning. Driving one in Asia is an art, I believe, that one must learn early in life. And more, I find not having responsibility for any vehicle is a luxury.
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 11:09 AM

Snorkeling in Krabi: http://www.andamancampandcruise.com/
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 12:13 PM

1 day is plenty for ao nang, imo.. the beach there is not very nice, although the view is.. the place is very honky-tonky..

the safe's are just fine.. we put everything away in them each time we leave the room.

the area where the Sheraton is in krabi is the preferred area, imo.

have you looked at khao lak instead of krabi??
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!
Ok, rethinking the scooter idea. My only reason for it was to be more mobile on my own and not wanting to rent or drive a car.

And yes, not having been to Thailand or Asia for that matter, I may be overthinking, especially traveling alone. I'm excited and bit anxious to be on my own, but I'm very social and will meet people I'm sure.

Krabi was recommended to me by a girlfriend who visits Thailand regularly as a flight attendant. She said to skip Phuket and to visit Krabi instead. I will check out Khao Lak!

You guys are great, thank you!
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 02:15 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
In all my trips to Asia and months in various countries I've never rented a car. No need. Short distances in tuk tuks and cars with drivers or taxis for longer ones will serve you well and cheaply.
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 02:25 PM

Hello Mermaid and warm welcome to Fodors.

Concerning Bangkok, you should be in for a fine, safe time -- in-room safes, included. Over the past ~ 30 years, have stayed at ~ 16 different Bangkok hotels - for quite some time, primarily for business - and no negative issues to remotely report. (Should also include some Mandarin Oriental hotel visits going back ~ half-century, when I was a rather young lad travelling with parents and siblings -- a bit less Bangkok vehicular traffic in those days.)

Depending upon your Bangkok budget, honoured to offer suggestions. Of late, it's been the Four Seasons and the Mandarin Oriental for meetings and The Siam for a brief weekend holiday rendezvous. The past several months have seen exceptional corporate, personal and "frequent guest" rate offers at those sublime properties. Best of Bangkok lodging fortune to you.

Finally, should our fine home of Singapore enter into your travel plans, pleased to suggest lodging (and aviation) ideas.

Have fun planning, Mermaid. Best to you and all,

macintosh (robert)

... Singapore Airlines, You're a Great Way to Fly ...
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 03:39 PM

NO MOTORBIKE!!!
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 11:27 PM

You could think of doing another country for a week,Cambodia,Laos,Vietnam,Malaysia,Indo...
Transport isn't too expensive in Thailand.Scooter is a risky option in asia if not used to traffic/rules.
Be aware of the scams.Thailand is absolute fun.