Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Singapore - Orchard Rd or Historic District?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which is a better area to stay in for tourists in Singapore - Orchard Rd or the Historic District?
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 09:09 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by the historic district. The most importnat thing location-wise is to be close to an MRT station.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 12:07 PM

I vacation in Singapore annually...what is the Historic District? Happy Travels!
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 12:09 PM

When you say Historic District, do you mean near the Raffles Hotel?

i think it is a toss up. I chose Orchard Road for my 3 day vacation last year, based on the advice of my Singaporea friend that lives there, but spent more time walking around the water and Raffles Hotel area. I would choose "Historic" district if I did it again, but it is all so easy and convenient to get around.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 05:29 PM

I don't think the Raffles area counts as an historic district. Basically, there are three historic districts in Singapore - Chinatown, Little India and Arab Street. Chinatown is probably the most interesting, and has quite a number of small 'boutique' hotels.

But, as Kathie says, the most important thing is to be near the MRT. If you follow that advice, then you can stay anywhere and get to the other sights easily.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 05:36 AM

Chinatown, Little India and Arab St are the ethnic neighborhoods in Singapore.

The Historic District generally refers to the area where much of the British colonial history took place.... along the Singapore River and the "Padang," which is where cricket has been played for about 150 years. The very historic Singapore Cricket Club is at one end, the Old Parliament Bldg sits at right angles to it. The Asian Civilization Museum (in the restored Empress Place Building) Victoria and Albert Concert Hall and the Raffles landing site are all very close by, as is St Andrews Cathedral. Raffles Hotel, also a big part of the British colonial history is about a 10 min walk from there.

The closest hotel to the Historic District is the Fullerton, just across the river, a 5 min stroll over the Cavenaugh Bridge. The Fullerton itself played a part in the colonial history of Singapore, as at various times it was the General Post Office and the British Club.

Where you stay depends on what your interests are, but as has been stated, it's extremely easy to get around Singapore, either by taxi or MRT.