Singapore Hotels

Jun 19th, 2002, 05:01 AM
George

Singapore Hotels

Need help in choosing a hotel for our vacation in Singapore. Have narrowed it down to The Oriental, Swissotel Stamford or the Shangrila Rasa Sentosa Resort. I included the latter considering it might be more kid-friendly and the attractions on Sentosa.

Thanks.

Jun 19th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Julia

The Shangri-La Sentosa is nice but it can be a nuisance going to/from town. What you can do is book the Shangri-La downtown and then include 1 night during your stay at the one on Sentosa. I think that's a good mix. That is what we plan to do.

Jun 19th, 2002, 07:05 PM
Sheldon

Hi George: I'm from Singapore and would agree with Julia not to stay at the Shangrila at Sentosa. If you do want a night there, stay at the Beaufort instead. Stay anywhere in the Orchard Road to Marina area and you can catch a Sentosa Bus which you pay only when you reach Sentosa which includes the fare for entry onto the island.

Jun 20th, 2002, 01:22 AM
wayne

Among the three I'd pick the Swissotel (formerly Westin. It has a subway in the same bldg, and has newly renovated rooms. The Oriental is old and Shang Sentosa too inconvenient to get around.

Jun 21st, 2002, 03:06 AM
George

Thanks very much, folks, for all your suggestions. Have decided on Raffles The Plaza. Can't go wrong there (I hope).

Jun 22nd, 2002, 04:35 AM
Sadie

George, you might want to know that Raffles the Plaza is not the same as the world-renowned Raffles Hotel....It is actually Westin Plaza bought over by the Raffles management, while Swisshotel Westin was formerly Westin Stanford.

Jun 22nd, 2002, 06:45 AM
Marsha

http://www.rafflescityhotels.com/raffles
For anyone interested the above is the link to Raffles Plaza. The South Tower (not North Tower) has been totally redone and sounds great.

Jun 29th, 2002, 11:07 AM
hubba

Good choice! Acutally all the hotels mentioned are great except for Rasa Sentosa's location. Also, a taxi ride to Sentosa from any of the hotels mentioned wouldn't cost more than 10US$...could even be just $5 depending on time of day and traffic. Of course there are public buses and hotel shuttles to get you there too. Welcome to Singapore and enjoy yourself.

Jul 1st, 2002, 12:47 PM
Lord Keay

The Oriental and City Shangri La are fabulous hotels with superb service. I'd give the edge to the Shangri la. The Swiss hotel is part of a massive complex and to me feels a little souless.

The oriental is very glamourous, Black Marble, fantastic art and a mega atrium

My bet, however would be to go with the Shangri La. Its 5 mins walk from the main shops in a peaceful upmarket residential area, it has extensive grounds which make it feel like a resort, it also has free transfers to the sentosa resort.

Search this Thread