Singapore Airlines vs Thai Airways

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have been pricing flights on both Singapore and Thai for October. Thai from Detroit via JFK non-stop to BKK is $1092 plus taxes , etc. Singapore has a package deal incl 4 nights in Bangkok at Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel or Silom Hotel half day palace tour for $1414 on specified flights SQ11 ex LAX, SQ15 exSFO,economy class, plus taxes, etc.. For $1473, they offer flight plus 4 nights Singapore and 3 nights Bangkok. Any comments suggestions would be helpful. This is our first trip to the area and we plan to spend 2 weeks. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 10:13 AM

They are both very good airlines, but Singapore Air is GREAT! Plus, Singapore Air has great-priced package trips...although I'm not a package-trip person, but my best friend is and only travels on Singapore Air... out of L.A. and also vacations in Southeast Asia regularly. Once she met me in Bangkok and we later went on to Singapore and then back to L.A. She had an incredible deal...on the Singapore Stopover Splendour deal...in which she only had to pay $8.00 for the first night at the 4-star Hotel Rendevous which is directly across the street from the YMCA Hotel where I stay and also stayed on that trip. It's at the Dhoby Gaut MRT subway station in a very convenient location. For each additional night she only had to pay $38.00...this was all because she had chosen Singapore Air as her transpacific carrier. The Ritz Carlton was only $48.00 for the first night and $80.00 for additional nights. This was in April 2002.So, I'd keep a close eye on the Singapore Air specials and really take advantage of them! Happy Travels!
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 10:19 AM

As for the hotel selection. The Royal Orchid Sheraton is right on the river. I stayed there one night last summer 2004...and although it wasn't for me...primarily since I have so many hotels in Bangkok to compare it to...having been there many times...you might like it. I think Kathie is one of the regulars in this forum who swears by the place. So, she'll probably jump in here. As for the Silom Hotel...it's probably on Silom Road in that area which is the business district area. Out of the two...although... I'm not a river person...I would suggest that you stay at the Royal Orchid Shearton. Plus, there is a bridge that connects the hotel directly to the River City Shopping Mall which you would probably really like as they sell a lot of Southeast Asian items...from antiques to some textiles to jewelry etc... Hope this has helped. Happy Travels!
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 11:34 AM

If you're just trying to go from Detroit to Bangkok, then Thai is much better because it's 2 flights, vs 4 if you're taking SQ11/15.

The Thai flight also has much better legroom than SQ11/15.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 11:43 AM

I would go with Thai and go with Royal Orchid Sheraton. You'll want to spend more time in Bangkok so also see if they have a good price for extra nights. But before you book it check out some of the hotel discount sights like asiahotels to make sure you can't do it cheaper by buying hotel and air separate. The half day palace tour is better off done by yourself.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 11:46 AM

Another point- which of these airlines do you want to accumulate FF miles- maybe on one of their partners?
Sing. Air is the gold standard and wins the best international airline every year for ever- enough said!
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 02:03 PM

Both Singapore Air and Thai Air are in the Star Alliance with United. But, Singapore Air charges more for the plane ticket if you want to accumulate frequent flyer miles...unless they have recently changed that policy. I would still pick Singapore Air over Thai Air. Happy Travels!
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 02:40 PM

It is also virtually impossible to get ff tickets on Singapore these days unless your miles are with Singapore itself. Thai is much easier.

Personally, they are both excellent airlines. I would go with the one that has the best schedule -- i.e. gets you where you want to go with the fewest connections and in the least number of hours.