Siem Reap - Travellers Cheques??

Old Feb 20th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Siem Reap - Travellers Cheques??

Hello

My husband and I are visiting Siem Reap at the start of April. We are using Ponheary as our guide whilst we are there.

I am a teacher and my school has been fundraising to provide local children in SR with uniforms, shoes and supplies. I was wondering how to take the money into Siem Reap. I understand that US dollars are most commonly accepted. I am a bit worried about taking a large amount of money in cash (about $1000 fundraising money + money that we will need for our holiday as well). I know from reading reports on this forum that many people have used Ponheary whilst in Cambodia - I would love to hear from anybody else who has given her money to buy school equipment etc... How did you bring money with you?

Can I take Travellers Cheques?

Hope somebody can help. Sorry if i've waffled on a bit.

Debbie
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 08:38 PM

i would take the cash honestly....keep it in a hotel safe (front desk, not in your room) until you get there
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I've just contacted the hotel and they have got a safe behind the front desk, so it looks like cash is the best option.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 06:53 AM

Debbie

You can take the cash as suggested (that's what we did and it was fine) or you can use western union to wire it to Ponheary slightly ahead of time. Of course that costs money but the upside is that she can already have your purchases ready, uniforms made, etc and you don't have to use your vacation time doing that part. You may want to get Ponheary's opinion.

Because

$1,000 is alot of money and will buy many items for many children. There will be logistics involved.

Good job on your fundraising efforts! I look forward to hearing about it when you return.

I would love it if you would hang onto my email address and if you have any good pictures of your time with the kids, I'd love to see them.

[email protected]
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 08:31 AM

We took a ridiculous amount of cash to Siem Reap. Kept it in our room safe. Everything was perfectly fine. Of course, the front desk is better.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 08:33 AM

We have just got back from Cambodia, and the 4 of us all took our money differently.
1 couple took a small amount of cash, and the rest in travellers cheques.
1 person took more in cash, and a reserve of travellers cheques
and I took $400 in cash, and a card for the ATM machine.

Travellers cheques worked absolutely fine, just a bit of a bind to change them, whereas I just had to pop to the ATM.
It wasn't the hotel safe i didn't trust, but not loosing my bag or it being stolen whilst i was travelling!
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all your replies!!!
I was hoping that you would reply 'ofwego' as I knew from this forum that you had done something similar to us with Ponheary. I will email her and ask her what method she would prefer.

alr837 - You mentioned that one person in your group took travellers cheques - were there plenty of banks / money changers to change them into dollar notes? You also mentioned that you used your ATM card - were there many ATM machines?

Just over 5 weeks - can't wait!!!
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 11:14 AM

plenty of banks to change them in, open on sundays too! there are at least 4 atm's in the town too.
don't know the name of the road, but if you stand outside the red piano - with your back to it, on the otherside of the road on the left, about 30m down is an ANZ atm, complete with guard outside to open the door for you.
all money was was in dollars
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 05:51 AM

Debbie

I'm sure you've talked to Ponheary already but in case you haven't she says "the banks have plenty of money, the kids have none. Just bring the cash".

Lori
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 10:22 AM

Debbie and Simon, I am so impressed and gladdened by your charity for the children of Siem Reap. When we were there we were saddened by the poverty we saw but were unable to do anything "real". I hope all others on this board will follow your example. We will.