Search

Siem Reap

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24th, 2004, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Siem Reap

It seems to be a popular place on this forum. Just wondering how many of those of you who have been/plan to go - have visited/plan to visit anywhere else in Cambodia.

Where did you stay in Siem Reap?
How many days did you stay?
How did you travel to the temples?

Love to know.
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 04:46 AM
sandi

alice13

We prebooked our time in REP before leaving home, so hotel, guide/driver and entry fees to temples were included - our stay only 2-days as we were returning to Thailand for most of our trip. But if you do a search on this forum you will find many threads indicating that you can arrange this thru your hotel - guide/driver and daily fees to temples - and savings can be had. Ideally, a minimum of 3-full days should get you to most temples and then some.

Old Nov 24th, 2004, 05:41 AM

Hi Alice. We spent 3 days and 2 nites there and stayed at the Hotel Angkor which was moderate priced and perfect for us. We had a private guide and driver. As people who usually travel on our own with a good guidebook and a lot of research beforehand, I'd highly recommend seeing Angkor with a guide. The history and the stories contained in the temple reliefs, the distance between temples and the remoteness of certain sites is what I base this on. Also our guide took us to some great places in the city which we wouldn't have known to visit. We didn't have time to visit anywhere else in Cambodia since our trip was largely spent in northern Thailand.
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 08:24 AM

we loved angkor and tollerated SR...its just another sort of boring tourist side town....
we stayed at angkor village...it was very attractive but the beds were very uncomfortable...food was ok there but restaurants in town were wonderful...

i think 3 full days at a minimum for your stay....we find it absolutely necessary to have a car with a/c and driver and guide...this allows you a respite in between sites in cool a/c and thorough knowledge of the sites....no book reading as you progress from one area to another...the guide gets you right to the important places and can key in on your interests...they are cheap at about $20 per day and same for car and driver....our hotel arranged for them in advance...

from most everything i read the rest of cambodia is either dangereous or not all that interesting, esp. PP..
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 10:15 AM

Is it $20 for both the driver and the driver? What about the entrance fee for the guide itself?
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 10:58 AM

We had 2 nights in SR and plan on Cambodia being on our travels again in a year or so. I disagree that the rest of Cambodia is boring. Had a couple of days in PP with lots of interesting things to see. Also went to Siokville (?spelling) which was OK not being beach people we were there only a day. On our return trip I am hoping that some more regions of Cambodia will be open to tourists so we can go to some different areas but we will be definately going back to SR for 3 nights so we can really explore some more of Ankor.

Happy travels.

J
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 11:50 AM
sandi

so nice to see Africa Fodorites here - alice13, sharon815, jules39 and myself - travelers will travel!

Old Nov 24th, 2004, 12:56 PM

Max 10. It is $20. each for the guide and the driver. Native Cambodians do not have to pay for entrance to the temples. You will have to pay $40. for a three day pass. we where there in October and thought that the money for a driver and a guide was money well spend.