Shopping in India

Search

Shopping in India

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shopping in India

I will be travelling in India next week. I will be in Bombay, Jaipur, Udaipur, Agra and Delhi.
I got some info on where to buy some fabrics in Delhi and Jaipur.
I would love to hear as many recommendations for shopping in India.
Jewellery, Fabrics, Crafts, etc.

Old Oct 14th, 2005, 04:47 PM

I don't know about Bombay but Delhi is the place for shopping versus Agra and Jaipur. See my trip report at:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34578710
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 05:35 PM

IN Bombay Cottage Industries near Regal MOvie Theater in Colaba is worth dropping in at esp if you are staying in the vicinity. They have some interesting fabrics too. At Kala Ghoda near there are a couple of interesting shops - a branch of FabIndia, the Chetana crafts center, my fav designer boutique Ensemble and a dept store, WestSide which has some interesting reasonable Indian wear.

Near the Qutub Minar at Mehrauli is one of Delhi's trendiest shopping areas, lots of designer boutiques scattered around and in a building called Ambawatta Complex. In the same vicinity is a great fusion dining place called Olive. Ansal Plaza near South ex in South Delhi is a combination mall and shopping plaza – very crowded and not great but you may want to stop if in the vicinity. Shyam Ahuja is a fabulos store for dhurries – check their website for convenient addresses, I like to check out what they have at their discount outlet store in Greater Kailash 2 market - amazing deals on dhurries and other home furnishings. Def go to Cottage Industries on Janpath - knick knack heaven! Plan to spend half a day there as it is huge. If you have limited time do all your knick knacks here. Saris go to Nallis saris in South Extension market. Is a huge shop with saris from all over India run by a South indian who is scrupulously honest and service is great. A great all purpose stop is FabIndia in Greater Kailash M block market - is 4 different shops in the same market with clothes, home stuff, linen, the works. Jewelry - is a shop called Hazoorilal in Greater kailash I N block market who has a great deal of "kundan" - don't know if u know what that is. In Connaught Place itself is a branch of Tribhovandas Bhimji Zaveri - further up from Cottage on Janpath. Jaipur has a great jewelry shop called Amrapali - bear in mind that most of their stuff is old so you pay for antique value rather than gold or gemstone content.

Jaipur has branches of Cottons, Anokhi and Soma where you can see block printed textiles – I find their shops in Delhi better stocked though so visit in Jaipur only if you have time.

Dilli Haat is always worth a dekko full of handicrafts from all over India and the vendors change every month. They have food stalls from different Indian regions also. You could combine it with a visit to Santushti compex, a gorgeously landscaped collection of shops, mostly clothes, some home furnishings, silver, knick knacks too.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 12:03 PM

Delhi - I really liked the Santushi shopping complex (near Nehru Park). This place has very exclusive items which I did not find anywhere else in Delhi, Jaipur or Mumbai, rather expensive. You can find beautifully made cushions, runners, shawls, tableclothes, precious jewelry. The Anokhi at Santushi had the very BEST items and their prices are very reasonable.

I also liked Verandah at the Ambawatta Complex - Mehrauli village Road. this is a three storey building, on a side street. I bought a quilted bed cover and matching pillow covers from them. I had them ship them to me in Los Angeles. My package was in LA even before I arrived. (within 7 days of purchase) They are very professional. Most of the other stores a the Ambawatta complex sell bridal wear, which not many of us can use in the U.S.

Haus Khaz - A good distance from most hotels in Delhi. The park was beautiful, but the stores did not have anything special and I found the prices to be on par with Santushi. In my opinion not worth the long drive. Although once we were done we went to Essex Farm for lunch. Great restaurant which is about a 10 minute driver from Haus Khas.

Great Khailash I - Couple of good stores, one being Fab India. I found good stuff a Fabindia with ver good prices.I found that they did not have a very big selection and the quality was not as good as Anokhi.

Greater Khailsh II very crowded, horrible traffic. Is good for gold and diamond jewelry. Although many of the designs are too elaborate for my liking.

Jaipur - I go to Jaipur on every trip I make to India just to go to Gem Place. A small selction of theirjewelry is also sold at the store at the Rajvillas. This store also has few items such as cotton robes designed by Tarun Tahillani, which you do not find anywhere in India. He also designs all the linen you find in the rooms, incluidng the very beautiful quilt on the bed. Very well made. I bought three silver coated candle holderss from them which sits very proudly on my dining table- You will find the same candle holders in most rooms, I think they have them by the bath tub.

Anokhi/Jaipur - not a big selection. Very small store.

I also found Jaipur to be very good for loose semi-precious stones - Topaz, Aquamarine- Ask your hotel for recommendation.

Mumbai - Crossroad shopping complex (near worli south mumbai) Oberoi/hilton shopping complex. These are two shopping areas. At least the last time I was in Mumbai (feb 2005) you could access both through the lobby of the Oberoi hotel (which is now Hilton). When you enter the lobby you make a left, then an immediate right, you walk the corridor to the escalator (which most of the time does not work) walk up to the first floor and you will be able to access the new shopping complex. If you go up one more floor, you will be at the old oberoi (now hilton) shopping area.

I think there are plenty of good shopping areas/good prices in the Juhu, andheri, Khar area, but I am not very familiar with the area to make any recommendations. Although we ate dinner at Olive in Bandra or somewhere around that area. The food, service, ambiance is fantastic.

Old Oct 18th, 2005, 03:46 PM

Hello,

In Delhi, Hauz Kaus has some great art if you are wanting to get some artifacts or paintings. The Delhi Art Gallery is also there, so its worth a quick visit.

Other places I found good deals including Greater Kailash III Market, Gol Market, and the clothes market at Lajpat Nagar. Ansal Plaza was not really worth the visit (mostly Western brands like Reebok, etc) although I did pick up a couple of Lacoste items from the boutique there.

In Mumbai, there's the Crossroads which has been mentioned and it has a pretty decent albeit diverse selection of everything ranging from Lee jeans (who wears these?) to a real Zegna boutique.

I had some good finds at Shoppers Stop in Bandra on Linking Road. Be sure to grab dinner on the rooftop restaurant called Sheesha as it has a nice view of Bandra/Juhu at night.

Apart from that, I know they were builing (or going to build) a mall around the Worli complex and also at the Grand Hyatt but haven't been back in several months so my intel is limited on that.

Deepam Silks is a good store for Indian clothes, as is the "Be" store which is India's Generation X version of the Gap or Banana Republic. I picked up some great men's tops from home-grown designer labels. If you want something more upscale, then the Ritu Vorma boutique has what you need in Bandra (right on Linking Road).

Good luck!!!

I