new delhi shopping

Search

new delhi shopping

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new delhi shopping

we have two free afternoons on our november trip in delhi....one we will be in new delhi and one in old delhi...

can you help us to plan our shopping on those afternoons....which places are best visited from new and which from old delhi....markets, shopping centers, etc...

we are interested in crafts, cloth, home decor items, etc...

some of the places that intrigue us include:

fabindia
anoki
santuchti market
cottage industries
hauz khas village
and too too many more--

our hotel in the nikko near to connaught place/circle

thanks for the additional help...i have many notes from your previous comments...knowing where each place is seems quite difficult thus far...

we will have a driver btw...
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 07:28 PM

Hi Bob! U want Delhi shopping? Well, u got Mz Delhi shopper here! Very interesting indeed planning out your afternoon shopping months in advance, and i must say, wishing u good luck to keep any sort of schedule in Delhi where everyone will be bellowing u to go in another direction, and into their "cousins brothers shop"..Anyways, stay strong! so u mention some of my favorite stores and markets and i can certainly comment and add and delete. All the shopping I do is generally in New Delhi or South Delhi and u can zip around to all these places in two afternoons...And by the way, I wld say my entire Indian wardrob is 40% Fab India, 20% Anockhi, 20% Cottons(this too is a fun store for the ladies!), and probably the rest assorted kashmir items and peices i have picked up at Janpath market. So yea, i love love love Fab India, Anochi and Cottons for wonderful Indian clothes that greatly appeals to the westerner too in terms of styles, cuts, and sizes! There are many Fab India locations about the city these days, but my favorite FAb India location wld have to be the one in the south delhi upmarket neighborhood of Greater Kalish 1, and FAb is located at N~ block market. There are two markets in the area..N block market has a few great shops including Cottons and also some home furnishing store..After N block market, by all means go to Greater kalish 1 M block market too/ about five minutes from N block, and this is a bustling local market for the area and filled with assorted cloth/jewelry, bags, and other types of shops for the upwardly mobile Delhiites. I lived in this local last season, and did quite a bit of spending here...Anyways, if u do not think to make it to South Delhi, there is a new and very central Fab India location in one of my other favorite locale markets and that is called Khan market.This market is quite central near connaught place, and much favored by again the hip and happening Delhites and also the expat/diplomatic community. It is filled with bookstores, shoe stores, sunglass shops, imported food items, and a few clothing shops including Anoki and Fab India. About the other places on your list of kings, well, Hauz khaz is also in south Delhi and is a great place to wander and filled with boutiques, galleries, resturants, assorted shops and holy cows. It is an interesting neighborhood. I am not to fond of Santusthi, quite expensive and filled with ritzy boutiques in a enclosed compound so to speak, not my cup of tea. I much prefer the local and real markets that have an assortment of shops, resturants and characters. Another interesting locality if u are intersted in art/antiques/furniture wld be Sundar Nagar market< in Central new Delhi and right near the Oberoi and Khan market. This is a very beautifulo neighborhood and has a very interesting market..Anyways, a few places to note not on your list but that i frequent is Janpath market, which is right off Connaught Place and the Imperial Hotel,.This market has everyting for souvenirs, crafts, etc..It is filled with outdoor stalls and indoor shops and u can get some great deals and have alot of fun..There are some different sections of the market that have a differnt focus, for example, a Tibetan strip and a side street that has Rajasthani crafts, and another street that has clothes that did not make the export plane. It is fun there to pick up just about everythig from India. Another fun place come to think of it is in South Delhi and is called Dillihaat. It is an outdoor festival like market that charges a small admission and has regional crafts from all over India as well as regional food. and showcases different exhibits from time to time. The prices are very good and this place is filled with locales and tourists. **And Bob, not to confuse u, but most of my favorite clothing shops actually come from jaipur, that is the home of the blockprinting afterall, so they all have very big brances there, including Anoki, Cottons and FAb India, and oh, yea, one other fun store called Soma, so do not despair if u do not get to all. And of course, Jaipur is the place to shop till u drop and u certainly have time there in ur schedule...i guess ur next post will be where to shop in jaipur?..Alright Bob, Namaste and feel free to drop me a line at [email protected]
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

thanks ms india bonita nyc/delhi chick...great advice...karen will be very pleased with these clarifications and also that jaipur is a good shopping destination too....we have 4 days there...will you help pay my UPS bill??
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 02:50 AM

Bob, I will try to add to Bonita's fairly complete response...
Old Delhi is not really a shopping destination - it is known for the Jama Masjid (Mosque), the Red Fort, the Ghandi cremation site and of course the obligatory rickshaw ride through the Chandni Chowk local market area. You should divide your time between New Delhi and south Delhi (which is really part of New Delhi). If you are fortunate enough to be in Delhi on a Sunday, it will be much easier to get around. Be aware that some shops and shopping areas are closed on certain days - usually Sunday, Monday or Tuesday. The best source for crafts and home decor items is Cottage Industries which is not far from your hotel. You can easily spend a couple of hours there as it is huge. Another good source for crafts is the gift shop at the Crafts Museum and the vendors behind it. The museum gift shop and Cottage Industries are fixed price but still very reasonable by our standards. The museum itself is not that great.

I would definitely check out Anoki and the other two clothing stores in Jaipur if you can - that will give you more time in Delhi to explore some of the other areas that Bonita mentioned. Delhi and south Delhi in particular are really spread out so I would prioritize on two or three areas at the most that you would like to tackle each afternoon. Keep in mind also that in many of the markets you will be sorting through tons of stuff that you don't want to get to the stuff that you do. As for the clothing stores with multiple locations, if you go in Delhi head for the one that is the largest - that will assure you of the best selection. We were disappointed with the Anoki store we visited in Delhi, however it was not the flagship store.

As you know, we spent much of our shopping time criss-crossing Delhi visiting jewelry stores - from that experience we got a good feel for getting around (as well as some very fine pieces for Jeane). I found it helpful to photocopy the Delhi map in one of my guide books and mark it up with the various destinations so we would know what was close to what.

I got a kick out of Bonita's remark about planning your afternoons so far in advance - half the fun of traveling is in the planning.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 10:13 AM

Nsmaste and back to the bonita~Blog! The Anokhi, Cottons and Soma shops I wld say are much better in Jaipur, as these are the flagship stores and generally have more supply, so yes, by all means save for Jaipur. Plus it is much easier to get from place to place in jaipur!But just to let ya know the stores can still be hit or miss so when i do a major shopping spree i actually hit all the shops until i am fully outfitted, pretty in Pink/ mixing and matching, carrying one top from one store to pick up a shawl from the next, etc! In terms of Fab India, i wld say that store is my FAve of the lot and this store is better in Delhi, so i wld go there in Delhi and pick up some Indian threads firstoff..This way u and Karen can travel around in style in your Indian Garb from the getgo! Plus the FAb India in GK1 N block is the quite big and recently redone and has many dressing rooms and also there are many fab stores in the N block market in a row for differnt items such a home furnishings, clothes, etc, and as mentioned, N block is filled with lovely stores for clothes and home furnishings and M block market, well, just about everything!. So yea, i wld definately sum up by hankering one day closer to central delhi/New Delhi/Connaught Place and this can include Janpath, Khan Market, sundar nagar market/ Cottage, Etc, and perhaps another afternoon exploring in South Delhi, GK1, Hauz Khauz, Dillihaat, etc. *oh, and Craig, glad u got a kick out of my comment about planning "shopping afternoons" so far in advance! I too love love travel planning and have spent half my life in such, but i usually stop short at the planning of shopping afternoons, just me! i guess i am more a go with the flow~er, once at destination. And also, must say my comment was kind of hankering on another Indian theme, and that is all hidden forces at play that sways the shopper here and there like magic/// so i got a differnt kick out of my comment! **And Bob, by the way//good news i think. i just looked over the two weeker Nov north India Trip i am leading and i think there is a very good chance we will be at the Mughal Sheraton Agra ur final night, but do not plan the cocktail party yet! I will be with a group of 28, rolling in via private coach from jaipur thru Fatherphur sikri sightseeing. So yes, we may actually cross paths in the land of the Mughals and u may be able to see me in complete India action, speaking Hindi, with my group of lore, and dressed to kill in Fabulous Fab India! namaste...

Old Jul 30th, 2006, 10:55 AM

There is a very good anokhi store at the santushi market in Delhi. The anokhi store in Jaipur is very small and does not carry a lot of merchandise, or may be they do but run out of merchandise because of the high traffic at their store. I have been to the anokhi in Jaipur on numerous occasions and they were out of everything I asked for. In jaipur we also visited a store called GOSH. I would recommend it,they carry merchandise similar to the ones at anokhi. If you are visiting mumbai, there is a good anokhi store near Hughes road.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 11:19 AM

That's funny, we found the Anokhi at Santushti to be disappointing by comparison to the one near Ranthambore Park - as Bonita says, it can be hit or miss.

Bonita - I appreciate very much your reference to the "hidden forces" - so true in India.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

celeste....do you remember the location for Gosh??

thanks everyone for these tips....any more?
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 07:55 PM

Did you buy the book Treasures and Pleasures of India?
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 09:06 PM

I looked at my receipt and saw that the name of the store on the receipt is Ogaan. I did a google search and found a number of hits, but no address. I do not think you will have any problem finding the place, it is very well known.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 09:37 PM

my mistake, Ogaan is the name of a store at santushi in Delhi. I will find the name and address of the store in Jaipur and post it. We were taken there by our driver from the Rajvillas.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 10:03 PM

found it. The name of the store is Channi Handicrafts & Textile- Mount Road, Opp. Ram Garth Road, Jaipur. I bought a few cotton robes from them, for $11 each. The label on their clothes is "Gosh" They have a large selection of cotton PJs, bed spreads, cushion covers,etc. and a large selection of indian textile
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 10:01 AM

ha..Funny u mention Channi Handicraft and Textiles! I did not mention that place as it is definately one of those huge emporiums/demonstration places that tour groups frequent en route to Amber sightseeing, and if u go, u will often find a line of buses outside. **But now we are on the subect,well...***Channi is actually a very old friend of mine and i have known him and his family for Years! His place is certainly more of an emporium for carpets/textiles/ export/etc than a quaint local store, but it does has a fine selection of a bit of this and that and a place u can stop either to or fro Amber Fort and Palace...*but carpets will be the big push here! Generaly speaking, after u see the carpets they let u into the textile room!..As memtnioned, Channi's is located on the road that goes out of town and routes to Amber Fort, where i might add** there are numerous carpet and textile emporiums en route well as blue pottery places. The stop at one of these emporiums is de rigrour for many of those on a guided tour..And yes, of the lot, Channi's is a good option for a tea break and a wander and perhaps to pick up some threads.. They will also give the demonstation of blockprinting and then carpetmaking, and he does have a fine selection both rajasthani wool and silk carpets at good prices and quality and i wld say/ better prices than Delhi..so by all means Bob or whomever is reading in fodorworld, if u go, ask for the big mand Channi himself and say Namaste and *definately tell him u are a friend of "Bonita"s..He will be delighted and give u the royal treatmeant and probably call me immediately to tell me a friend stopped by. And to be more specific while there, perhaps ask for Baldir to show u around the place and give u the demonstration, as his is very nice/knoweldgable and my fave there. But bob, i might say, Jaipur is shopping heaven, filled with street/local markets of every conveivable kind, and crafts, and art and clothes and pottery and the list is endless.. and when u are in jaipur, all along MI road in city are alot of great shops/resturants and of course, the amazing old city and all the bazaars including Johari bazaar to name one..And yea, specialty shops/boutiuqes for clothes, like my three faves of local Jaipur are the ones I mentioned, Anokhi, Cottons, and Soma, all located in local neighborhoods and in quaint homes, very low~key and freindly..And then there are all the great jewerly specialty shops located in beautiful homes and mansions too, and yea, i can surely give some pointers and reccos on this behalf too and know a few folk.And yes, in Jaipur as it is such a huge tourist destination and place of craft~export as well there are the big emporiums too as mentioned. well, mr shopper, have fun. And if anyone has any more speicifc questions about Delhi/jaipur shopping, can drop me a line at [email protected] I have been around the block many of times..Happy to help..
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 05:49 PM

My heart is palpating just reading all
this great info!

How about Udaipur or Gujarat???

Many Thanks!
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

isis---yes thank you i own it and will of course use it too
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

i'm running out of paper...

anyone have a favorite rug store??
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 09:05 PM

Funny I did not know they sell carpets and we were never given a tour of their carpetmaking. It may have had to do with the fact that I had told our driver that we were not looking to buy carpet or jewelery, so he must have relayed the info to them.Having traveled to India extensively for over 10 year, I am a pro when it comes to shopping, when I enter a store I am very clear as to what I am looking for. I would make the trip to Channi just to buy their cotton robes, which are ideal for CA summers.

As to the best carpet shop, if you are going to Mumbai check out "Ranee International" they have had a shop in the Lobby of the old Oberoi now Hilton for over 30 years. Ask for Masood, he is the owner. You should bargain with him. The only carpets I have bought in India have been from them.
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 09:50 PM

The memories ! I wished we had more time to walk the old town after the rickshaw ride.We were mesmerised by it all . Besides clothes we bought the most wonderful Kashmiri hook rugs / embroideries from one of the depatment stores around Connaught . They are not called carpets or rugs and in fact were in the department stores on another level altogether with handicrafts . They remond me of Aubusson carpets in style .One we bought was 12 ' x 10' in traditional paisley and another about 10' x 8'in a William Morris design .All cheap and marvellous .The largest was shipped home to Australia without any trouble or duty paid and the other 4 carried with us ( they fold up quite compactly ). So do look at these embroideries on your shopping travels as they are quite unique and in my view very lovely .
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 10:56 PM

I am surprised that nobody has yet mentioned the Khadi Gramudyog Bhavans - they are all over India and sell exquisite items at bargain basement prices. They were initiated by Mahatma Gandhi as a drive towards self-sufficiency and utilise the talents of rural artisans and craftspeople. Their kurtas, handmade silks and other clothing items are wonderful, as is their bar soap with Indian flavours. There's one in Connaught place in Delhi. See -

http://www.123indiatravel.com/cities...dia/index.html

Their showroom in Mumbai is located at Fort near Marine Drive.

ps: In American parlance, the FabIndia products may be likened to the brand-name stuff, the Khadi Gramudyog to the generic.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 11:39 AM

Well Celeste, that is funny, as i guess u missed it, as Channi's is certainly and most overwhelmingly a house of carpets and is very famous one too, even listed in fodors guidebook!!,It is actually called Channi's Carpets and Textiles and i have been there hundreds of times!..The whole big building in front is filled with floors and floors and rooms and rooms of carpets and the textile portion is off to the side in a second smaller building. To get to the textile area u have to essentially pass thru the so called carpet/blockprinting demonstration area outside, where they have the looms on one side and some rugs out on the floor to dry on the otherside. I wld say there textile area is okay for picking up a few nick nacks, but not my fave for textiles as Jaipur is filled to the brim with textiles all thru the various street markets. However, what i do like about Channi's textile area is that they will tailor make u any item for u the next day as U can pick up material and they will have there tailor do it up// pronto, delivery next morning in hotel. They also have some good cheap scarves for 'gifts"..Actually, alot of places in India will tailor make the next day, always ask.....Oh, Ganesh hanidcrafts nearbye on the same road is another good place to buy cloth and have tailoring, and has a excellent textile collection...so, back to carpets...In terms of carpets, Channi does have a good collection of both wool and silk, They have Persian designs, Rasthani colors, modern motifs, u name it..And the prices in Jaipur will generally be better than Delhi!!!..bargain hard and speak to channi or Balbir directly as mentioned in other post. And speaking of carpet buying, u must always bargain hard. U will find hundreds of shops all thru India during your trip, or on the otherhand, THE SHOPS WILL FINd U!..And of course, so many variations of price, quality, craftmanship,styles, and u will also hear all the sob stories. The kashmiris make exquisite carpets and exquisite carpet salesman too, and they certainly do make beautful craft items, scarves, shalws, paper mache, hook rugs, etc.. u will see small kashmiri shops all over India, and many huge places too...The Kasmiris surely have a carpet stronghold in the country owning many of the fancy hotel shops in the five Stars as well as the ultra huge luxury chain of CIE, Cottage Industries Emporiums as well as SAGa Dept stores located thruoughout the country..Here u will find excellent although sometimes expensive collections of carpets, handicrafts, etc..again, bargain hard, and again, prices are often better outside of the big cities, so u might consider getting a carpet in Jaipur or Agra....If in Agra, i might suggest u visit CIE in the old British Palace on the hilltop, and ask for Maqbul/..They have a nice collection of Kahmniri handicrafts and the setting of the shop in former palace is lovely..Again ask for macqbul, rather macor Mac. u can Tell him u know Bonita, he just loves me and she said to bargain hard and that he will give u the best price.. They have a lovely collection of Persian carpets, kashmir handicrafts, hook rugs, etc.. If u want to go to a CIE collection n Delhi, u can zip by CIE/private collection in South Delhi, as it is quite gorgeous and speak with Feroz!!!...In Jaipur, come to think of it,u might also try Silk route, it is a beautiful compound owned by Kashmiris located in a former hunting maharajha hunting lodge..it just opened last year and it is quite a lovely place, with a beautiufl collection of carpets and other items from Rajasthan and Kashmir..It is about 15 minutes from Amber...if u go there, speak with my freind Quaser, have him show u around.Remember, u Must bargain hard with them, eVen to your last breath! Anyways, feel free to drop me a line at [email protected] with any follow~up/specific questions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -