Search

Shopping, fabrics and express sari makers in India

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shopping, fabrics and express sari makers in India

Hello all--
First of all, many thanks to Cicerone for all the help to roccco's questions regarding India. I chose this destination as it has always been my dream to visit the Taj Mahal. I am 30 years old and I still remember a feature article in the local Illinois newspaper "Daily Herald" about 10-12 years ago, when it first inspired my curiousity.

One of my primary missions, however, is to take advantage of the beautiful textiles and have a really over-the-top sari or something interesing made. Where would you suggest for this, or rather who? I am looking for beautiful fabrics and a sharp tailor--all reasonably priced.

Please also comment on gold jewelry and pricing.

Thanks again.
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 02:16 PM

Do you really, really think you are going to wear that sari when you get back home????? Friends of mine bought saris (off the rack, not custom made)when we travelled through India and none of them ever wore them when they came home. Are you really going to wear that sari to the grocery store or to the mall. I think not. You can buy a sari almost anywhere in India, just walk down the street.
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 02:37 PM

ThinGorjus,

I have met scaredtodeath once or twice...okay she is my wife...and we are talking about someone that had a replica of Kate Winslet's Titanic dress custom made and wore it on a couple occasions. I don't think I would ever be caught in either a Titanic dress or a Sari...sorry, but to each their own (so much for any cross-dressing aspirations I may have had).

Actually, we have had really good luck in China, Hong Kong, Southern Africa and the Meditteranean in picking up both textiles and other useful things for our home. I am sure that India will be no exception.

So, any good leads on textiles, saris, artwork, etc., will be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 03:28 PM

Thank you and bravo to ThinGorjus for that most useful and direct answer to my question.

You see, I was not really interested in the type of sari that is super-traditional, rather, the kind you see in the Indian magazines which seem to be something in between western and Indian. Tunic type tops and interesting pants--or shorttop skirt combinations. Since you are now what I consider my personal paparazzi, I will be wearing these very interesting creations to night formal events. I really wanted some interesting beading and fabric workmanship, silk shawls to go with in some light fabrics.

Trust me, I'll wear that sari--and you probably would too.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 11:11 AM

Saris are not actually "made", only the blouses that go underneath them are made to your order. A sari is about 2 yards of material. You pick the ready-made material and design you like, and then a short -sleeve midriff blouse is made to match or contrast. You can often have the border of the sari repeated as trim for the sleeves on the blouse. You will also need to have a slip made, which is often in matching or contrasting solid colors to the sari material. It only takes a few hours to make the blouse and slip, so you can have a sari "made" fairly quickly.

When you are buying a sari, you can look at literally hundreds of designs and all types of materials from cotton, to chiffon to silk. Set aside a few hours, and be prepared to drink lots of tea while you sit in comfort as one fabric more beautiful than the other is presented to you by the shopman?.When buying a sari, be sure that they demonstrate how to tie it (really how to wrap it around you). There is an art to this, and you may need to have them demonstrate it several times to get the hang of it.

You might want to consider a "Punjabi suit" in addition or instead of a sari. These are loose pants with a long loose tunic overblouse. They are more practical for Westerners IMO. It is actually hard to wear a sari well, it is a skill that has to be acquired and I am not sure we non-Indians have it. I will say I have 2 saris and I only ever wear them to India weddings. That being said, they do make great wall hangings. Punjabi dress, however, is comfortable and easy to wear.

I can't recommend a specific place to purchase a sari or a Punjabi outfit. In Delhi, the shopping arcade of the Taj Mahal hotel has some excellent shops which would be good for a start. I especially love their Benares silk Punjabi suits. The Imperial Hotel has additional shops. The Cottage Emporium handicraft shop on Jan Path in Delhi is also a good place too.

I would also recommend Jaipur as a good place to look for saris. As I recall, the shopping arcade at the Rajvilas in Jaipur had a good shop for interesting and unusual material. In Jaipur itself, the main road along the southern entrance to the old town is full of sari shops. I belivee the road is called the Agra Road. To the east from the old town wall there are a number of shoppng center, most of which have sari shops. I think the quality here was better than within the walls of the old town, which is pretty touristy or very low quality.

As for jewelry, Jaipur is excellent for this. For gold jewelry, be aware that most Indians like 18 to 24 carat gold, which you may find too yellow. I like India for precious and semi-precious gems rather than gold jewelry, as the prices are great. Do some comparison shopping before you leave so you get an idea of what is value for money.

Besides the places mentioned above, some of my favorites shops in Delhi and Jaipur are:

Ahujasons. 6/33 WEA Ajmal Khan Road, Karol Bagh, New Delhi. www.ahujasons.com. A local New Delhi friend told me about this place. An amazing array of pashmina and wool shawls, as I recall they also had saris. Bargain hard, esp. if you are buying in volume. Karol Bagh is a great area for shopping in Delhi. It is mostly locals, not tourists, so prices are better and selection is good. I would recommend waling around this neighborhood and going into shops which interest you. Closed on Mondays (but check with your hotel, this could have changed.)

Central Cottage Industries Corporation, Pvt. Ltd., Jan Path, New DelhiThis is a state-owned handicraft shop,. Great prices on table linens. The quality of saris and jewelry is probably below what you are looking for, but take a look to get an idea of quality and price. Fixed prices, a bit of bargaining on higher-ticket items, but as things are so cheap you wont' mind paying the fixed price. Closed on Sundays (but check with your hotel, this could have changed.) This is a few blocks from the Imperial Hotel, on the right side of the street, before Connaught Place.

Rajasthali. M.I. Road, Ajmeri Gate, Jaipur 302001 Tel: +(91) (141) 367176 Great handicrafts and jewelry. This is a state-owned handicraft shop. Prices for the most part are fixed, but jewelry something that can be bargained for.

Gem Palace. Miza Ismail Road, Jaipur. Wonderful antique and modern jewelry . The shop has had an international clientele. Go upstairs just to see the beautiful wall paintings, if not for the estate jewelry.

Ridhi Sidhi Textiles. 9 East Govind Nagar Palace Road. Jaipur. NO saris as I recall, but beautiful duvet covers, curtains, bedspreads and table linens. He does work for Liberty in London and you can buy similar prints for about 15% of the price. He will make to order as well.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Hello and thanks again Cicerone--

Wonderful advice! My parents are from Iran, so I am very used to very yellow gold!

Regarding the stones, I will be very interestedin the semi-precious (I don't think they have diamonds or emeralds?) but let me know.

Thank you for your explanation on sari's as well. Generally speaking, I gather, there are tailoring services to make you just about anything one can design.

Sorry for beating this subject to death, but can you give me some examples of your best purchases and what great deals you have gotten? This is soooo exciting to me!!
Thanks again

ps--let me know if you want to know about shopping in South Africa!
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

ps--so sari shop is synonomous this fabric shop?

Duvet covers and curtains from the place that services liberty in London--can you give me examples of pricing and fabric types? I'm just DYING!!!!!!!!!1
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 12:06 AM

"Scared", I am laughing at your post under Rocco's name above... it looks like *he* says he will wear the sari!

A few years ago, I was able to have a a tailor in India make me an outfit from a Vogue pattern (I bought him the fabric) for $1.25. I wanted to wrap him up and bring him back to the states!