Shopping

Old Jun 5th, 2006, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Shopping

We will be visiting Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong? Where is the best shopping for clothes? Are American sizes listed on any clothing or do we need to try on everything? Is there any American writing on the packages? I am looking for Gortex running suits. Will I be able to find them from street vendors or should I look in department stores? Thanks
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 06:37 AM

like most things made in asia...try everything on....
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 07:36 AM

The best clothing shopping will be in Hong Kong. Do not expect for find American sizes listed anywhere - even in the department stores in Hong Kong. After all, you're in China. Since English is one of the languages of Hong Kong, you will find labels in English and signs in English there. Hong Kong will be the most expensive place for shopping.

I don't know that you'll find Gortex running suits...
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 03:34 PM

watch out on sizing, everything runs small! even my sis who is a size 6-8 here is an XL there!
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 06:49 PM

I was in Shanghai and Beijing...there are alot of US clothes but I would not trust the sizing or the longevity.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 08:15 AM

Always try things on. Even in the US there's variation between clothes from different manufacturers that are marked the same size. Many sizes at the Chinese markets are S, M, L, XL. IMO they run small as compared to US. I haven't bought shoes in awhile but seems like they're often marked with European sizes.

For shopping at the markets I recommend females wear a tank top so you can try things on over it.

Be aware that things marked as Gortex at the markets may not really be gortex. I suggest a legitimate sporting goods or dept store.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 07:03 PM

"Real Designer-Genuine" clothes are about the same as US prices and if you purchase a lot you may have to pay 10% duty upon return to US.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:37 AM

If you want the real thing, Hongkong would be good. Just go to Marathon Sports in Times Square. Theres another sports store there, but the name escapes me.

Beijing has a lot of Gortex running suits or North Face but they are imitation ones, at a very low price though. You may find it at any of the markets (silk market), the one near the US embassy.

Happy Shopping!