Shopping in Hong Kong?

Old Mar 10th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Shopping in Hong Kong?

What does everyone shop for in Hong Kong? I live in Italy - does anyone know if electronic goods like cell phones work over here? What about DVD's, CD's and Video games? Are they really much cheaper? What else do all the shopping mad posters shop for?
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 09:24 AM

I live in the US, and for me, electronics are no cheaper (and often more expensive) in Hong Kong. There are also issues, of course, with warranties. If you buy electronics, make sure you get an international warranty.

I shop for items I that are Chinese - Yixing teapots, high quality specialty teas, etc. Tailoring is excellent, but the prices are high in comparison to, say, Bangkok. Unusual slik clothing items, like a brocade jacket, carved jade, etc. are interesting buys.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 09:38 AM

Since the HK dollar is hooked to the USD, the recent weakness of USD means some stuff in HK can be quite a bargain compared to Europe.

For example, official price for an Apple 8GB iPod nano is HK$1,550, which is 130EUR. Apple's Italian store is selling that for 189EUR including tax.

Officially, Hong Kong is in Region 3 for DVD distribution, but since DVD players on sale there are usually region-free, you'll see DVDs with all kinds of region codes being sold there. If your DVD player at home is Region 2 only, then you have to be careful when buying DVDs in Hong Kong. If your player is region-free, then no worries.

I am not familiar with 3G phones, but 2G phones you buy in Hong Kong will work in Europe.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 04:40 PM

I buy international goods I can't easily get in the U.S. That means Japanese makeup and sunscreen, Japanese toys, various Aussie and British candies, etc. Also, I shop for cute boutique clothes from Asian designers.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 01:02 AM

Jewelry
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 10:24 AM

In Hong Kong last August I noticed a lot of Indian guys on the street as touts for tailors.

The few punjabi words I know came in handy for the one really aggressive tout we got (I can swear ).
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Lia

I'm based in the US but travel internationally 50%+ of the time. I don't buy a lot of electronics, but it seems they are not cheaper in HK though the product selection might be different than what you find elsewhere.

When I'm in HK, I shop for Chinese handicrafts and unique jewelry, plus hard-to-find foodstuffs (spices, tea, soup, sauces, cookies, candies, boxed/canned/jarred goods) that I can't get in the ethnic groceries in the US. If I try it there and like it, then I can usually buy it from an Internet grocer later but sometimes it's just easier/cheaper to stock up and ship it back myself.