Search

Shinjuku restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shinjuku restaurants

Hello again!

We'll be leaving for Tokyo/Kyoto in about 3 wks. and would like to know if there are any reasonable "American-style" restaurants in the Shinjuku area of Tokyo. We're staying at the Keio Plaza and understand that the restaurants in the hotel are quite expensive. I think I asked before, but can't remember what was said. My husband will not eat fish at all and must have his coffee in the morning (go figure!!).
Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Regards,

Jan
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 12:55 AM

There is a Denny's (open 24 hours) on the first floor of a building opposite Tokyo Hilton. On exiting Keio Plaza, turn left (away from Shinjuku station) and walk past the Metropolitan Government buildings. When you hit a park (Shinjuku Central Park), turn right and the building is on your left at the next block. About 500 yards or 5 minutes on foot.
Scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon and toast for 400 yen, and coffee for 220 yen (free refills - self-service). Breakfast served from 6 to 10 am.
http://www.dennys.jp/dny/menu/dennys/morning/index.html
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 01:02 AM

If you click the green band (where it says 'FLASH') at the bottom of page, it opens Morning Menu with full selections. Drinks are 180 yen (special offer), with free refills for filter coffee.
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 03:10 AM

There are Starbucks (and similar places) all over Tokyo.

One magic word that you'll want to know for your husband is "ton-katsu," which is a fired pork cutlet. This will be the Japanese food that your husband will like best. Or maybe the only Japanese food that he will eat. There are ton-katsu restaurants throughout the city, you'll find take-away ton-katsu sandwiches at most train stations, and it's also available in the food sections of department stores.
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 07:11 AM

There is a McDonalds around the corner from the Keio less than a minutes walk.....
So many places around the Keio to eat that your other half will have no worries. See here for a list of some other places to eat in Shinjuku.

calledhttp://www.bento.com/ra-shinj.html

and if you happen to see a restaurant named "Le Coup Chou" while walking just past the Post Office, wander in a have a wonderful dinner while taking a look at Japanese life in Tokyo after work hours. Sugitasan, the manager will happily assist you.

Aloha!
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 04:21 AM

Going to Japan to eat at "American style restaurants" - isn't there something wrong here?
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 07:54 AM

As a general matter, I'm with Tommmo. And there's alot to eat in Japan that is not fishy: (1) Noodles, and tons of them; (2) Tokyo has a LARGE number of Italian restaurants (the Japanese are quite enamored of Italian cuisine); (3) at last check, there's something called Kobe beef and it's named for . . . wait for it . . . KOBE, Japan. That's just a start.

And Shinjuku station has to have over 30 restaurants and about a half-dozen department stores, each of which has a food hall of some sort that has all kinds of food.

As for morning wake-up -- go to the Vie de France in Shinjuku station and load up on pastries. Great stuff and the pastries are generally less than 300Y each. Talk about a Japanese product that we need to import . . .
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Tommmo!

I know it sounds strange; but, then again, you don't know my husband!!! LOL!!!

Maybe I should clarify that we're only going to Japan on the way to see his daughter and new grandson in Okinawa. I wanted to do some sightseeing since we're going to be right there!!

Jan
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to the rest of you for your helpful hints!! I really appreciate it!!

Jan