Seoul restaurants and daytrips

Jun 15th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Seoul restaurants and daytrips

Hi I notice there aren't that many Seoul tips on this board.

Can anyone recommend any good restaurants (all cuisines) or good daytrips from Seoul. Will be there for a few days.

thanks!
Jun 15th, 2005, 03:27 PM

There is a restaurant named Deep Blue in in a shopping center in the Gangnam-Gu area. One wall of the restaurant is an underwater view into an aquarium. If you search this forum for "Deep Blue" you will see my brief report on the place. It is worth a visit if you are in the area. The mall is connected to the COEX Intercontinental on one end and a subway station on the other end (and the other Intercontinental hotel is over there, I think).
Jun 15th, 2005, 05:11 PM

1. Mr Chow - great Chinese food - 91-6, Nonhuyn-dong, Gangnam-gu, (82-2) 517 2100
2. Namu at the W Seoul Walkerhill - fab fusion cuisine and setting, you must visit the W
3. 5Cafe 74, 83-20, Cheongdam-dong, (82-2) 542 7412, serves an Italian-Eastern fusion
4. Pulhyanggi's vegetarian fare 82-2-545-0415
5. Hanwoori - exotic dishes made out of extraordinary raw materials like ginseng, white lotus - 91-18 Nonhyun-dong, Kangnam-ku; 011-82-2-545-3334
6. Mandu Jip (661-1 Sinsadong, Dongseo Sangga, Sochogu, Seoul; 011-82-2-544-3710) for dumplings
7. Sanchon vegetarian fare cooked by monks
8. The food court in the basement of the Galleria has a great selection and they will call English speaking staff to assist you

Definitely go to see the Leeum Samsung Museum of Art - it is the most wired museum experience I have ever had - you need to book in advance either on the net or call them up, www.leeum.org - can be an all day thing, is near the Grand Hyatt so you can have a meal there after or go to Namsan Park from the tower and cable car there you get an amazing view of the entire city

I chose to see only one palace and made that Changdok as I love gardens - is gorgeous - English guided tours thrice daily

Most people spend a day seeing the DMZ
Jun 16th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the replies. Any more info is appreciated.
Jun 16th, 2005, 07:38 PM

The bus from/to the airport (ICN) was comfortable and convenient. ICN is a nice airport and the Asiana business class lounge (go if you have a Star Alliance Gold card) has computers hooked up to the internet available for free so that you can post your trip report while waiting for your flight!
Jun 17th, 2005, 01:38 PM

"lemongrass" unfortunately I can't remember exactly where it is located but sure you will find it in a guide book as I did. Lovely place with fantastic clay pot fish. I loved that meal so much that when we went for a second visit I ordered the exact same thing!

Happy travels

J