4 wks to travel - jewelry making hobby

Jun 17th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

4 wks to travel - jewelry making hobby

I am thinking abut going to Asia for 4 weeks this summer. I have a keen interest in beads, jewelry-making, and crafts in general in addition to be interested in going to see new sites. I was thinking about going to bali. any other recommended places? or any suggested itineraries?
Jun 17th, 2005, 01:50 PM

Bali is the only place I've been where I've been able to really try my hand at so many things. Last December, we were lucky to be able to learn batik, music, dance, wood carving, painting, cooking.

We've got another trip in the planning for next December, and to the list, I'm adding silver jewelry making, traditional Balinese medicine as well as more of what we did before.

We stayed at a very small, very inexpensive hotel, and all of the classes were arranged for us by them. The cost was very reasonable...surprisingly cheap to tell the truth.

There are several hotels that I know of that arrange such courses. Alam Sari in Keliki is where we stayed and will go back to. There is also Tegal Sari in Ubud, Taman Harum in Mas, Bali Spirit in Ubud, Puri Lumbung in Munduk, there's more but that should get you started.

Of course, Bali has plenty of sites as well...temples, markets, mountains, jungles, beaches...We spent a "short" 17 days and were just starting to scratch the surface!
Jun 17th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

that sounds exactly up my alley! do you think bali would be safe for a woman travelling alone?
Jun 17th, 2005, 02:10 PM

In my opinion, absolutely. Though I was with my husband and 7 year old daughter, I often went off on my own, walking through rice fields on a few early mornings, along the beach in Lovina.

Every single time I met the most lovely people. The best time was along the beach in Lovina, I came across two young men working on their boat. They asked me the usual sorts of question like where are you going, where are you from, is it your first time to Bai and so on. We got talking, like you do, and soon I was helping them sand their boat for repainting and we were carrying on like old friends.

I do think that anywhere in the world there is the potential for "safety issues," and always there is the need to exercise caution and use common sense.

Jun 17th, 2005, 02:12 PM

Maybe you'd like to see some pictures...just a few, but some on my first ever website attempt.
http://homepage.mac.com/teaghanmackenzie/Menu7.html
Jun 17th, 2005, 02:31 PM

KimJapan:
Beautiful pictures and a really cute daughter. You have been blessed.
Aloha!
Jun 17th, 2005, 02:31 PM

Thanks!