Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

See any red flags in this first-time Japan adventure?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that I have a good itinerary but would appreciate any advice. Thanks to HawaiianTraveler and drjem for your help already.

DH and I will be in Japan for the first time during the first week in November. We want to have a good introduction to Japan and see some koyo (fall colors). We have one week and fly into and out of Narita. We do not speak Japanese but have traveled quite a bit.

Two nights in Tokyo, probably the Park Hotel Tokyo in Ginza because it is close to the Tsukiji Fish market (I was a fishmonger at one time) and subway connections. Does anyone know of a good, reasonably priced tour of the fish market?

Bullet train to Hiroshima. Spend the afternoon at the Peace Park and then ferry to Miyajima Island for one night. We want to stay at a ryokan, but have not selected one yet.

Bullet train to Kyoto for 4 nights. We want to see the sights of Kyoto and hope that the mountains outside of Kyoto will be ablaze with fall colors. We love to hike and people watch. Hotel Okura looks good to us.

Our flight out of Narita is at 5:30 PM so we think we can spend our last night in Kyoto and make it to our flight on time via rail. Do you agree?

We have not made any reservations yet, and I have an open mind. Are we trying to do too much? Should we try the road less traveled?
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 04:52 PM

Why not head south to Hiroshima at the beginning, and work your way north? That way, you can get by with a 7 day rail pass, and you will be able to enjoy Tokyo without worrying about getting to the Airport on the last day.

We did Tsukiji market without a guide. I'm not sure if a guide would have made it any more interesting. You could do this on your last day, since it is a very early morning activity. After the market, have breakfast, then take a ferry up the Sumida river, tour the area around Asakusa Kannon temple, then go back to your hotel, get your stuff and head for Narita at
2 PM. Very do-able, and your hotel might let you have your room till 2 so you could clean up.
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 04:53 PM

The first red flag I see might be your timing. The areas you mention going to are great destinations for a first time trip but if you want to incorporate the fall colors into your trip you are heading in the wrong direction from Tokyo. Tokyo and Kyoto won't start the colors until late Nov. You may find colors in the first week of Nov in the mountains near Koyasan but it would be too early for the hills around Kyoto to be ablaze in koyo.

See here for where you would have to be in early Nov if you want to experience the koyo:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2014.html

Can you set back your timing a couple of weeks?

Aloha!
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 04:56 PM

lcuy and I were posting at the same time

She is right about being in Tokyo or nearer for the flight out. You would have to be at NRT at least 2 hours before your flight and its just too much commuting and time pressures for me especially when you probably have a loooong flight ahead of you.
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you lcuy and HT for your thoughtful answers. I cannot delay my visit. DH and I will leave Japan for a scheduled bike tour in Vietnam. We arrive in Japan from the USA at 6:00 PM, so I think we must spend the first night in Tokyo.

It appears from the koyo map on japanguide that I must go north to see the best fall colors. The Nikko area looks like it will have colors but can the sights compare to Kyoto for a first time visitor?

I like the idea of being in Tokyo on the last day. The less stress the better!
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 02:36 PM

There's really no stress in traveling from Kyoto to Narita -- the Hikari takes about 2:25-2:40 to get to the Tokyo area and the Narita Express is another hour. The trains run on time -- you can re-set your watch by the shinkansen you take to Hiroshima. We stayed our last night in Kyoto, took the train(s) to Narita and had much time to kill at the airport.
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks BigRuss. I thought the same thing after looking at hyperdia. Coming from Kyoto, did you go to the Shinagawa station or all the way to Tokyo station on the Shinkansen?