Robinsons in Bangkok

Search

Robinsons in Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robinsons in Bangkok

I noticed a few months ago when I was back in BKK that the Sala Daeng shop had closed down , and now read that the Silom shop has also gone.
Does anyone know what is going on, why they have closed and what might be going in their place?
What is happening to the Westin shop [ Sukhumvit ]? I miss these stores, their supermarkets are so handy for picking up the items we all seem to need urgently or have forgotten. Where am I going to go when I crave some HD icecream ?
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 04:03 AM

I was just in the Sukhumvit Robinsons a couple of weeks ago. It seemed to be doing just fine.

If the Silom store is closing, that will not be good news for those who are staying at Center Point serviced apartments, I wouldn't think... disappointing, for sure, if true that it is to close.

Carol
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 09:27 AM

i don't remember where i read about the closing but it was in the last month and was a reliable source as i remember.....its bkk so lets wait and see what happens....on sukhumvit there is always the small store in the basement of the plenochit center at the corner of soi 2
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 09:39 AM

bkklover...You can get Haagen Daz ice cream at Central World Plaza. I've been going in there for many years, way before the renovation, to get a scoop of sorbet. It's on the end near the Zen Department store and ,if I remember correctly, on the ground level. Happy Travels!
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 10:02 AM

Haagen Dazs is now located right in the middle "atrium" area of Central World, on the 3rd floor. I was there several times (ahem) during my recent two week trip to BKK. Really good!! There is also a Haagen Dazs at Paragon, in the basement, on the far end from the main escalator (to the left as you get off the escalator).

Old Sep 11th, 2008, 03:34 PM

Why eat western foods in Thailand unless its a coke??
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 03:41 PM

lol, Mango, for you a coke, for the others, it's Haagen-Daz. To each one's own.
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 08:14 PM

Well if you'd like some good local ice cream, as opposed to that stuff from New Jersey, my company now has a small number of gelato stalls around Bangkok. The flagship store is at Esplanade. If it's in season, try the durian gelato.

The Robinson on Silom/Rama IV lease has expired (yes, it's been there 30 years). Someone said the whole building would be torn down, but I'm not sure about that. The Tops supermarket there is more or less identical to the Tops in Silom Complex (Central) just across the street.
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 08:20 PM

Michael, do you make coconut gelato?

I love coconut gelato/ice cream, but the stuff at the Jim Thompson cafes is a bit too weird for me as it has corn and peppers in it.
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your information,I will be in BKK next month so will check things out and let you all know. The Oriental shops in Siam Paragon ,Central Chitlom and the Emporium all serve delicious ice cream. Unfortunately the shop inside Central World has gone.I always thought it was a great place to stop and cool down with an icecream after buying/working at Pratunam and the Platinum Centre and walking back to the skytrain at Chitlom , especialy on those super hot days.
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 04:16 AM

Hey, bkklover, you and I like to shop/work in some of the very same markets!!! What do you look for? For me, it's handmade bags and accessories.
Carol