Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

rhkkmk and other Thailand experts - help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2003, 08:52 PM
RB
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've only been in this area for a couple of days and have quickly realized we are very late in booking accomodations for a side trip to Thailand around Christmas/New Year! (My wife and I have two computers going on this right now -- and she's shooting some mean looks my way.)

With time running out for shopping around, we went ahead and booked The Peninsula in Bangkok. Many thanks for your input!

I'd now appreciate your expert advice on prioritizing other destinations in Thailand -- and any sure bets for hotels or resorts. Based on suggestions from earlier replies, our list includes...
Angkor Wat/Siem Reap, Ko Samui, Ching Rai, Ching Mai, and Phuket.

Thank you very much!
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 03:25 AM

For Christmas New year it is always heavily booked, what I would suggest is using a local site that permits you to put in multiple requests ( within reason ) and see what comes up. Start at this site and then follow through it's listing for Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai etc etc.
If you really get stuck I know of a plush private condo on Phuket that is still available, about $150 a nigth but it's class, it's a friends so I won't put the website because that would not be fair, if you ask though I will gladly post their webpage, it's about 10 minutes to the beach at Karon and the complex has restaurant pool etc, was decorated by movie people in real Thai style, lovely place.

Also try Kamala Dreams at Kamala beach, now these are base 2-star studios but the location is ok and Kamala Beach is one of the nicer beaches, about US$45 Peak season!

Anyway get going on this site, it's a long url so cut and past, because they are Thailand based ( but secure, I use them always ) they have direct 'real people' access to accommodation, I know for a fact they actually 'talk' with the hotels and the response is fast.
It's 6 pm Thailand time now so you would get responses from them in the morning, i.e about 12-14 hrs from now.

http://www.r24.org/huahin.20m.com/chiangmai/hotels/

That url takes you right into the system, then follow the drop-down menu for all the other towns, they have a huge number of places you simply would never find from outside. Lots of pics and info on places.

I think I mentioned before 'The Apartments' on Koh Samui are brilliant, they go for $250+ but are great, but on that site you will find anything from $8 through mid-range right to the tops, over 100 Bangkok places for a start.
Good luck.

JamesA
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 03:45 AM

Just checked, they list 42 hotels in Chiang Mai alone! Just leaving the office I checked with our customer diary( most of our overseas visiting customers we book them into BKK hotels and they sometimes ask our staff to find them vacation places as a favour ), over Christmas/New Year they have booked:
BKK Sofitel @ $75
Samui - The Apartments @ $250
Hua Hin - The Tanao Sri @ 115
Phuket - The Karon Princess @ 78
So all I can say is those 'were' available over the past few days.

For Chiang Mai we always personally use the Empress and sometimes use Rydges for customers.

Giood luck!
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 06:40 AM

Aren't you the people who will be flying in from Hong Kong for 10 days? If so, decide what you want to do. You have time for two or at most three places.

If you want to see Angkor Wat, then start by getting on the Bangkok Air website www.bangkokair.com and book your tickets. Those flights fill up quickly, so the question will be whether you can get in an out. If you can get flights, then book a hotel. I use www.asia-hotels.com Suggested hotels (high end) include: the Grand (I don't like it, but others do), the Sofitel, the PanSea, and teh Angkor Village Resort. I'd recommend three nights in Siem Reap.

If you want a beach location, James has given you some good advice.

Don't panic. You will find places to stay. But start by deciding on what kind of trip you want.
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 07:28 PM

two of the most informed have spoken, but i will add a few things....don't try to do too much on this trip...get aquainted with thailand and visit other places on future trips....i think you might want to wait on siem reap....if you are in HK you can go there anytime and go there directly....

i would spend a few days in bkk (the penn is a great choice---everything will be down hill from there)...i would then strike out to another place: maybe ko samui or hua hin...i would then return to bkk for a few more days...this would be my christmas holiday par excellance....

if you did this maybe you would like to try another bkk hotel on your return?? i love the bangkok marriott resort and spa---also on the river, not as luxe as penn, but it has other attributes....also the jw marriott is nice, although the pool leaves something to be desired....another part of town to round out your experience...

the new conrad is in the same area...have you looked at the davis hotel, a new botique hotel with great rates, also in sukumvit area...

there is also the regent hotel and the hyatt, both near the usa embassy and not far from sukumvit ...

there is the sukathai (spelled wrong) on sathorn, i think and the former westin baynon tree

what else can i help you with??

bob
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 09:48 PM
RB
Original Poster

Bob, Kathie and James,
Thank you very much for all of your advice -- and tough love. I'll get the flights sorted first, then focus on one or two of your suggested destinations -- probably among Siem Reap, Ko Samui and Hua Hin.
Any last comments on which of these would provide a particularly special experience?
Thanks once again!
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 10:38 PM

I've been to all three places and I would vote for Siemp Reap if you like a diversity of cultural experience, and Koh Samui if beach and sunshine attract you.
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 11:12 PM

for angkor try www.angkorhotels.org for reservations..

and in general www.asiahotels.com is a good site too find discounts and they have a prity good guest comments section..

Old Oct 16th, 2003, 06:28 PM

angkor is special in every way...the ruins are simply not to be believed....allow about 3 days....stay in a nice place....i would head to sofitel the next time, if the price was right....i stayed at angkor village, which is more authentic looking and feeling, but has comfort problems....and believe me you want comfort there after a day in the "field"...

if you have read my threads before then you know that i also feel that bangkok is among the best cities in the world...if offers so much, for so little, if you seek it out...
"live like a king, on a regular american budget"...

hua hin is for relaxation and is not special, but is quite thai....there are lovely american/thai style hotels to be enjoyed there however (marriott-my choice, hyatt, sofitel, hilton--ugh, and others)....i will not know ko samui until next june--sorry

listen to jamesA---he lives in bkk and is well versed with no ax to grind
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 05:54 PM

If you decide to go to Phuket, you might try the Boathouse on Kata Beach. Yes, their main properties will be booked to capacity...not a chance... but I just got a brochure about their NEW place, to open in November. It overlooks Kata Noi beach. The rooms should be very nice, if it compares with the Boathouse and Villa Royale properties!
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 05:16 PM

[email protected] I am a bit late so if u have already finalized u can ignore. For your side trip I would def reco Angkor Wat. We stayed at pansea and I thot it was v good VFM. One tip - try to book your Bkk-Siem Reap-Bkk tickets locally out of Bkk as we found the baht fare cheaper than the $ fare quoted on the Bkk Air website. As kathie said book quickly as flts fill up fast. In case u decide on Angkor wat I have a great Eng speaking guide-driver duo.