Regarding Laem Set Inn on Kol Samui

Jul 28th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

Regarding Laem Set Inn on Kol Samui

I have just returned from Koh Samui, Thailand. I was concerned about my choice of hotels on Koh Samui because rhkkmk had written some negitive things on his trip report about the Laem Set Inn. Having stayed there almost a week, I must report that I loved the place. However, it is definately not for everyone. It is very unique. It is rustic compared to the higher end resorts, but quite elegant and very comfortable. Our teak bungalow was quite attractive with a European type bathroom. The setting is just lovely with the open air restaurant right by the pool overlooking the water. It is remote and natural for those who love the outdoors. Food very good. Service exceptional. It is the quietest place i have ever been. there is no noise from airplanes, boats or cars. Spa is earthy, clean and professional-- top notch. The three major characteristics that some will not like are: It's isolated, and at least 20 minutes from other restaurants (We went out twice, but really preferred to stay). Also, in the summer at low tide swimming is not easy (but very possible). There are rocks which you must get passed to get in the ocean. It is not the clear blue water of Chaweng. But there is a reef and the fair snokeling was fine for me. Consequently, there is not much to do. but we loved the relaxed, elegant and quiet nature of the place. I would go back for sure.
Jul 29th, 2004, 02:40 AM

Our experience at Laem Set was similar - glad you enjoyed it.
Jul 29th, 2004, 06:28 AM

I have heard that the former (American) owner, who made it so charming, has sold it to a Thai businessman who is considering expanding it to 80 houses / rooms, and scrapping many of the activities - do you know about this?

Is Nat (charming man with only one working eye) still the reception manager there?
Jul 29th, 2004, 07:33 AM

i'm glad to read that you like laem set so much...as you point out it is not for everyone and i guess i must be one of those people....the setting is lovely i agree....
Aug 2nd, 2004, 02:06 AM
mad

just returned from thailand and had reservations at the laem set inn. we cancelled them when we arrived. we were on our honeymoon and this was not the place for us. it has a big playground, many kids at the pool and the honeymoon suite is a bit run down for the price, not to mention quite a walk from anything else on the property. with that being said, we had a great dinner there, but did not find the place, overall, worth the money. we ended up at the peninsula in a luxury suite for the same amount.