Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

First time to Phuket- questions about hotels etc for child with disability

Oct 12th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

we are planning a trip to Phuket in January. We used to go to Bali but now my son is in a wheel chair, thats out of the question. Can anyone tell me if Phuket is any more accessible? We would be looking to spend time around the hotel pool, beaches etc and would like to see some local sights/markets. Is Phuket a reasonable choice for us? Is there somewhere else that would be more practical? We have two children, one 12 and the 6 year old in the wheel chair. Would really appreciate some local knowledge.
Oct 12th, 2004, 07:53 PM

Hi we have been to Phuket 3 times and stayed in the Holiday Inn. When we have been there a number of people in wheelchairs have stayed there. I am not sure how good it was for them it but suggest you contact the hotel through the Holiday Inn site.The Holiday Inn also has a Kids Club which also has a babysitting service. We liked it!
Oct 12th, 2004, 08:12 PM

I got cut off half-way thru my message but Albaaust has already suggested exactly the same as I would, the Holiday Inn in Patong !!, now I hope you appreciate that sidewalks etc can be tricky for everyone let alone a wheelchair, but you will find Thais very forthcoming with any help, don't worry a second about restaurants, access, seating, it will all just 'happen' without a second thought! The kids will enjoy Phuket Fantasea which is an amazing show, Dino Park is a Flintstones type place with burgers and good atmosphere for kids. The Holiday Inn is across the road from the beach but is right inside Patong so you don't have to worry about in and out of taxis or tuk-tuks with the wheelchair as restaurants and shopping all close by. The Holiday Inn has family rooms and amazing 'kids rooms', but you have to book quick, it's peak time and those rooms get snapped up. From the elevators in the lobby it is 'flat' through to restaurants and a large pool area, also a Kids club. Many resorts can have ups and downs, the Holiday Inn is a well managed hotel because it has a great manager, it is especially good for families. You will not have to ask about getting the wheelchair into places because as I have said Thais are very straightforward in giving assistance, and they do not hesitate a second, you will find this of a great benefit. I would not suggest a resorty type place in quieter beach areas as this means getting to/from places. There are also some adventure activities which your child could possibly participate in.
It won't get 'easy' getting the wheelchair about but that is counter balanced by Thais being very open without being patronising, you will see things happen. In Thailand adults in wheelchairs get into discos, partyy and have a great time, it is an attitude thing. Add to this the Thais natural nature and I think it is a big 'plus'. The pools at the H/Inn are excellent, it also has a Spa plus various eateries. I would book soon!
Oct 12th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your quick replies.I will contact the Holiday Inn for further information. Is there much for the kids to do in Phuket, is there snorkelling or other water sports there?
Oct 12th, 2004, 09:37 PM

Hey James are you from NZ? A few years ago I answered an email about the Holiday Inn to a James. If it is -great to get back in contact.
Oct 13th, 2004, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Just a couple more questions: is CM accessible/worth visiting? I mean this in the nicest way, I looked at the village trips/elephant rides etc which I would love but with a wheelchair? If I carry my son and leave the wheel chair behind would he be able to manage any of the trips? We would love to spend some time shopping in Bangkok, can anyone (James, are you there?) recommend a hotel that would be near enough to the main shopping area to be accesible in the chair? We really try to do things as a family and generally if the chair can't go then neither can we, so planning is a must.
Oct 14th, 2004, 03:42 PM

Young children cannot go on the elephants, even if there is not a wheel chair issue. I took my 7 yr.old grandaughter on the elephant in CM. Not really too safe. She could have slipped out of the seat. But she is a super careful child and held on to the rail very strongly. The 5 yr old was not even considered by the elephant trainer.
We have stayed twice at the Meridien in Phuket. I think it is a good palce for children. Great kids club, resident baby elephant, huge pool. Lots of level paths and elevators to rooms. Easy to get to beach with very gentle water. Helpful staff.
Good luck with your trip. I am sure you will all enjoy it. Our 5 yr. old came down with bad chicken pox in CM. Everybody was so helpful. Thailand is great for kids (and their parents).
Oct 15th, 2004, 04:11 AM

Although Chiang Mai is fascinating I honestly wouldn't make the journey for the elphant rides. What I would suggest is email some of the better tour organisers in Phuket such as Siam Safari and Sea Canoe, tell them the situation and ask them to make suggestions. I would think they could suggest some safe and 'easy soft' trips and I hope they will come back with some ideas and suggestions. Without diverting into a personal area I think it's a good idea to find as much as possible for your son to be able to do and again I think we agree that the nature of Thai people is a bonus reason for choosing Thailand, as I said before, I don't think you will be stuck at all for 'helping hands' to assist you and if Siam Safari and Sea Canoe are up to a good standard they should be able to make some arrangements for you, I am sure they have had such request before, though I think actual elephant ride might be out of the question there is such a wide range of activities on Phuket I am sure you will find things. You can find good listings for Tours from Phuketgazette Listings ( www.phuketgazette.net ) and you can find there the email addresses. I live in Thailand and although I had several years in Bangkok I am not an expert on the hotels as I naturally didn't frequent them. Perhaps make another posting 'specifically' asking about Bangkok hotels and I am sure you will get plenty of tips. Again remember that those 'helping hands' will appear in a flash!