Refund of Money on my credit card

Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Refund of Money on my credit card

I recently returned from Thailand. I had booked 9 nights in the Tri Trang beach resort in Phuket and paid for it by credit card, I only stayed 2 nights and had to return home. I explained this to the hotel and as I booked this through the internet they told me the agent would contact me. They did the next morning stating they would refund 50% and they would confirm this by email. I have heard nothing. I had also to insist on a receipt from the hotel and they gave me it saying that I only stayed 2 nights and was at 50%. My credit card company are not interested and I dont know what to do now any suggestions? I have my email copy of what I paid and the receipt from the hotel. They have ignored 3 emails I have also sent, this is Hotel & Travel Links Co ltd,Krabi.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 02:32 PM

If you did not have any sort of cancellation/interuption insurance, I would try disputing the charge with your credit card company. Your situation is one reason I usually do not use agents or internet booking sites that require prepayment. Their policy is generally no refunds, regardless of the reason.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 07:11 PM

for this reason i often use american express as they are the best, imo, in resolving disputes...

if this correspondence does not work, i would try making an appeal to an ombudsman at some place travel and leisure magazine...

i would get the name of the hotel manager and contact him via registered letter...i would include the proof that i left the country immediately...i would be forceful but polite and stick to the facts and just ask for the restitution...

how about contact the TAT office in phuket..

if none of this works i would black mark them in every forum i can find...
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 07:41 PM

What does the website where you booked say about refunds? Most booking agencies would not refund under these circumstances.

And how long has it been? Remember, it takes longer to get responses from Thailand.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

its the fact that the travel agency spoke to me on the phone on the 7th jan and told me he would send a confirmation by email about my refund within 3 days...and he has ignored me so far..I know they do not normally refund but he told me he would refund 50% and I have a receipt from the hotel stating i only stayed 2 nights.
jollydee
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 02:20 PM

Leaves me wondering if you just got a "yes" answer to avoid a confrontation on the phone while you were still at the hotel. In Asia, in general, "no" is something seldom said, even when it is meant.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 02:28 PM

From their website -
Changes - Q. Can I make changes to my reservation?
A. ONLY reservation that have NOT been fully paid or confimed can be change. For reservation that has been fully paid, you must cancel your reservation and make a new reservation. Whether or not you get a refund depends entirely on the Cancellation and Refund Policy.

Cancellation Policy - You can only cancel up to 1 day before check in, Peak Season Period : 16 Dec. - 10 Jan.
Cancellation charges
:: Before 21 days during (not including Sat, Sun & Public holidays) prior to check-in date 5 % administration fee of your total booking cost
:: 1- 21 days during (not including Sat, Sun & Public holidays) prior to check-in date 5 % administration fee of your total booking cost PLUS one night room charge will be levied.

:: No Show will be 100% of the total invoice charged - Non Refundable

To me, it's clear that you are not due a refund, regardless of what someone may have told you on the phone. Unfortunate. As you agreed to the terms and conditions of the booking by default by making and prepaying the booking, your credit card company is correct in telling you there is nothing they can do...they won't reverse a legitimate charge.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

and the receipt from the Tri trang resort...that means nothing then???
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 02:49 PM

No, because you didn't deal with them. You made your deal with the booking service, and therefore their terms are what you go by. The hotel could promise you a complete refund, and may have in fact refunded money to the booking agent (but who knows), but that agent is under no obligtion whatsoever to give anything back to you.

Their terms are clear...cancellation up to 1 day prior to check in is allowed for a fee...then it's completely non refundable. Changing a reservation requires cancellation, and you can't cancel after you've checked in.

I'd stop worrying about it and file it away as a learning experience. Prepaid rates through booking agents may seem like a good deal, but you need to accept the terms that go along with it. Those terms unfortunately do not include flexibility.