Red Piano - Siem Reap

Search

Red Piano - Siem Reap

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2003, 12:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red Piano - Siem Reap

Does anyone have any information about this guesthouse/restaurant. Anything about the accomodation would be most help.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 06:38 PM

The Red Piano was recommended on this site as a restaurant destination. However, when I was in Siem Riep, my guide, Chea, made a face when I ask about this as a place to eat dinner. He said it was for Western tourists and the food was not "authentic" to Cambodia. There is a Red Piano website. Do a Google search to find it. It has some pictures of the rooms and the lounge.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 09:55 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. I've already been to their site but I wanted some opinions if possible from people who have actually stayed. Maybe your guide knows best and its not the best place to be.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 11:08 PM

Mary: My wife and I stayed at the Red Piano a couple of years ago. We spent four nights there. It was highly recommended by good friends of ours. It's a popular "watering hole" but Geert, the owner, has rooms upstairs. The rooms are simple and clean and adequate for someone who doesn't care much for 5-star fanciness. We liked the place very much; it's located right in old town Siem Reap; a 7-11 type market, money changers, a bank and pizza parlors...all in close proximity. We also stayed at the Secrets of Elephants guesthouse which we enjoyed very much, but it was a bit out of the main centre of town. Anyway, we liked the Red Piano and we liked the bar downstairs which had a nice atmosphere to it and we will not hesitate to stay there again on our return to Siem Reap.
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Garuda, Nice to hear from someone who has stayed there.
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 04:08 PM

I never stated the Red Piano was not a nice place to be. I said food that served there was not "authentic" Cambodian cuisine. There are many restaurants in Siem Riep that cater to the tastes of Asian tourists (Yes, believe it or not, Chinese, Thais, Indonesians, and Japanese come to Siem Riep.) So, why eat in a place that serves "pub" food??
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 09:20 PM

We enjoyed our dinner at the Red Piano, we had strips of beef with garlic, onion, and rice that was excellent. The atmosphere was nice too. Our guide also seemed to crinkle his nose at the restaurants run/owned by foreigners. We tried a few he suggested, but actually preferred the ones we found on our own.
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 09:33 PM

I wonder if anyone else is by now asking themselves whether perhaps guides benefit from taking foreigners to certain restaurants, and don't recommend restaurants actually run by foreigners because the owners won't pay up. <BR><BR>While I've been to Siem Reap I didn't feel the need for a guide, and found my own way around without difficulty. But certainly kick-backs to guides are standard procedure in much of Asia (and no doubt elsewhere), and the same system is quite likely operating here.<BR><BR>Peter N-H<BR>http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 12:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your information - it all helps give a picture. I've actually been in touch with the owner of the Red Piano since I posted the question and he has been very helpful.<BR><BR>Thanks again to everyone.
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 08:00 PM

My guide, Chea, a former monk, did not foist any restaurants on us. I asked him his opinion on the Red Piano after reading recommendations here. I have travelled all over the world and am not as stupid as Peter Namby-Pamby thinks; I know about guides getting kickbacks. My guide never took us anywhere unless WE suggested it. Not everyone needs nursemaiding, darling.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 06:08 PM

we were at the red piano twice in november to eat...no eat once and once for a drink....the people going upstairs looked young and hearty....no amenities needed at this stage....the food and drinks were good and the place was funky in a fun way...<BR>i think the rooms are probably basic
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 09:48 PM
Airlawgirl

I agree with those posters who enjoyed the Red Piano restaurant. My group and I were in Siem Riep in Jan., and liked it very much. Can't imagine relying on a Siem Riep guide for restauant recommendations by the way-far better to explore and find one on your own-a very easy thing to do in downtown Siem Riep.

Old Mar 8th, 2003, 06:20 AM

I can't imagine going on a group tour of Siem Riep. So much better to explore on your own and find your way around.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 08:03 PM
Airlawgirl

Ha Ha! Precisely! And without a guide!