Siem Reap Guide: Saron Soeun and Aeuberge Mont Royal Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2005, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may hire Saron Soeun as our guide for 3 days for Angkor Wat.

I would love to hear from others that have used this guide. It would be great to have someone with a sense of humour and adventure.

We are a light hearted couple in our early 40's.

He has recommended the Auberge Mont Royal Hotel. Has anyone stayed there? Please tell me about your experience if you have.

Thanks!

Old Sep 28th, 2005, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

That is "Auberge" not "Aeuberge".

It sure would be nice if Fodors would allow us to edit our posts, wouldn't it?
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 06:59 PM

I went to Angkor Wat for a week and did not hire a guide. So, I won't be able to give you any feedback on that. I am sure they are invaluable. We did hire a driver and car for the whole week and one day a motor-rickshaw which was fun but can be dusty. We stayed at Pavillion Indochine, which is the nearest hotel to the Angkor Wat and it is only 15 mins from Siem Reap. If you like a place with ambience, this is the place and the price is reasonable. We had a great time in Angkor Wat/Siem Reap and you will LOVE it too.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 07:53 AM

Hi eurotraveller:

My husband and I hired Saron as our guide last February during a quick 3 day trip to Siem Reap and Angkor Wat. He is an honest and gentle soul with lots of knowledge about Angkor, the temples, the history of Cambodia etc.
He was always concerned for our wellbeing and tried hard to keep us away from the spots which were seriously crowded at certain times of the day. We have a great picture of Saron talking me through the terrifying climb down a temple. (I am seriously vertically challenged! but I was determined to go up for the view.) He didn't leave my side and calmly talked to me the whole time to take my mind off what I was actually doing.
We had some requests as far as what we wanted to see and Saron was open to all our requests. He is an environmentalist (a lonely spot to be in Cambodia!) and did want us to see some of the things that private groups are trying implement with regards to teaching the people to be environmentally aware.
He was always on time and met us without problem at the airport. I have no hesitation in recommending him to you.
We stayed just outside of town at the Angkor Princess so can't help with information about the Auberge ,sorry. Saron was very good about recommending restaurants and he knew all the hotels very well.
Enjoy your time in this magical place.

regards,
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

keldar, do you have your photos online somewhere?

I think we will go with him because his communication has been wonderful!

Thanks for the info!
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 12:51 PM

Because of a change in our travel dates, we were not able to rebook the guide we originally wanted. Based on your recommendation about Saron, we'd like to contact him. Do you have an email address for him?
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Sure! He sounds absolutely wonderful through email! Responds quickly and his English is perfect.

[email protected]

Good luck!
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 11:13 PM

We used Saron last year and stayed at the Auberge Mont Royal at his suggestion. It was also within our price range. Thoroughly recommend it! No pool but that was no big deal. There is a very large fish pond which the restaurant and bar look onto. We took the more expensive of the 2 room prices. Laundry wasn't expensive either. Location isn't bad - only a short walk out to main road where photos can be downloaded onto CD for a pittance and it's easy to get lift down to the market area near the river.

This hotel has the massage service of a blind massuer. Need to book in advance.

When our driver didn't turn up one day (not Saron's usual driver) one of the guys from the hotel acted as driver for the day and they provided us with a picnic breakfast as we were meant to be leaving particularly early that day to avoid crowds.

Saron is a great guide. Flexible, knowledgeable, an environmentalist and and excellent example of the khmer people.

He's hoping to get to Singapore soon to further his studies. Please wish him all the best from Michael and Rhonda in Sydney.

We recommend you go with him.
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Rhonda!

I confirmed our booking with him on Saturday.

When I return I will post feedback about him as a guide.

Cheers!
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 02:28 AM

Eurotraveller, have a GREAT time! Wish I was going too but leave on Fri for Hanoi to Hong Kong trip.

Let me know if you'd like any photos.

Kathie on this site put us onto Saron and he's kept in touch with us since.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

Rhonda, I would love a link to your photos! I think we may stay an extra day in Siem Reap and tour some other areas with Saron.

He spent a couple of years working with the UN in Tonle Sap. We will definitely visit that area one day!

Cheers!

Tamara
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 02:59 AM

Tamara,
When is your trip? I would love to get your feedback if it before ours in mid-November.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, DC. I just read your question now.

We don't leave until Feb. that means I get to read your report when you get back!
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 04:27 PM

my 18 year old daughter and I hired Saron in April for 2 full days & 3 nights. He insisted on meeting us at the airport at 7:30 on a Sat night even tho the hotel (loved the Shinta Mani and he did, too.) offers free pick up. He gave us a quick tour around town and we asked him not to wait. We gotour bearings and set off by foot for the Red Piano for dinner. The next morning, he was there at 5 am as we wanted to see the sunrise over Angkor. The day took off from there. There were several out of the way wats we wanted to see (extra for Banteay Srey and you must go) and had one day to do them all. We did it. The next day, we went for a boat ride on Tonle Sap and it is an expereince not to be missed. Don't let those who say it is too poverty stricken,dirty,etc. deter you. Yes, it is both of those things, but its also a vital, teeming, busy community. Saroun took us to the boat where he does his environmental work. In fact, I am wearing one of the tee shirts from there now. He also took us to several markets, both artisans d'angkor sites and a reservoir. We stopped at many roadside villages to give out the pens, pencils, markers and crayons we brought. If you do that, you will be amazaed at the grace and patience of the barely-clad, poorly bathed children who gather around you. everyone one of them wayed (bowed) to us in thanks at every village with NO urgings from their parents. quite amazing. If you book Saron, please tell him that Jan and her daughter Hannah who were therein Feb send regards. hannah spoke Thai. good luck
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 08:04 PM

We hired Saron Soeun as our guide in September 2004. We spent 4 lovely days with him. I smile at the one post regarding him helping Keldar down those steep steps. He also had to run up to help me down. I'm afraid of heights and he walked me down gently. Saron was very helpful with recommendations to restaurants. Every restaurant he recommended was right on the money. I really enjoyed the Khmer Kitchen and Red Piano. Saron made sure he took us to the temples at times when they would be most quiet. We had great opportunities for wonderful photos because there were so few people. Those were special moments walking thru the temples with so few people around. I think he thought of everything. We stopped along the countryside on our way back from Banteay Srey and took wonderful pictures amongst the villagers and water buffalo. He even took us to a small hut to meet the family and look at their home and how they lived. Of course we tipped them generously for allowing our visit. They are such gentle people. Everyone in town speaks English we didn't have a problem anywhere. I also enjoyed the relaxing trip on Tonle Sap Lake. Amazing trip and amazing experience. Don't miss it. I recommended him on this post as soon as I returned and am so glad so many others have used his services and found him to be a great guide. He is a genuinely nice person and was quite impressed at how he is helping his countrymen by teaching them about caring for the environment and sanitary way of life. He always had plenty of cold water on hand for us and umbrellas to keep us out of the sun. I found him to be one of the better guides we've used on our travels as far as making sure his tourists had everything they needed and were comfortable. You'll have a wonderful time with him. Please say hi to him from Wanda.

We stayed at Angkor Village and loved it.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 04:01 AM

Saron was our guide earlier this week. We contacted him based on the recommendations on this board and we were not disappointed. He was terrific and I would recommend him highly. And we also really liked the driver he used. Sounds like we did many of the same things as the others, trip to Tonle Sap, handing out school supplies, etc. And I love the T-shirt from the environmental center.
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 05:19 AM

I just returned and used Mr. X, who was fantastic. He is english speaking, considerate, and very accomodating. He will arrange an air conditioned car/driver, and make your trip enjoyable.

His email is [email protected] or phone (855) 12 94 13 81

Good luck!