Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Recommendations needed in Bangkok for a jeweller

Old Dec 12th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Bangkok for a few days at the end of the month and desperately need some recommendations for a good jeweller who will do some repair work on a ring for me. Specifically it is putting a diamond back in the setting for me. I am looking for a jeweller that has the equipment, supplies to do it in-shop vs. sending out to a factory for the repair work. Can anyone help?

I know that ideally it would be best to get it done at home but for this situation, that is not an option. Bangkok is the best choice. Also if they come highly recommended I would like to get a new coat of rhodium plating on the white gold as well.

Any ideas or suggestions most welcome. Many thanks!
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 08:45 PM

Many of us on this board (Kathie, hawaiiantraveler, Guenmai to name a few) have been very happy with SJ INTERNATIONAL. I've bought many items and had some repairs done and always been very satisfied. Ask to work with Lily, and tell them your friend Kathie from Seattle sent you. (Or Lucy or Linda from Hawaii) and your prices will drop about 50%

SJ International, 125/8 Sawankhalok Road, Dusit, Bangkok, phone 02-2342446, 02-2342447, 02-2411875 Call for pick-up. they'll send a car and not pressure you at all if you choose not to do business.
Old Dec 13th, 2010, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the rec. Very helpful! One more question, do you know if they did the repairs on-site for you?

I would like a back up in case SJ is closed or doesn't work out, can't repair it in time, etc.. This place is listed in my luxe guide, does anyone have any experience with this place?

Lambert Industries
4F/Silom Shanghai Bldg
807 Silom Rd.

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 13th, 2010, 06:43 AM

I had several pieces repaired at SJ. Very good workmanship and excellent prices. Everything is done on premises. I have not had my purchases appraised so can not vouch for the jewelry prices.

Have them pick you up, I tried to go by taxi and got hopelessly lost.
Old Dec 13th, 2010, 07:40 AM

I have used SJ several times (thanks Kathy) and worked with Lily, either having custom pieces designed and handmade, or buying items from the displays. Everthing was appraised back home for 4X or 6X more than I paid. They also re sized a ring for me at no charge (while I waited and watched) and restrung pearls with no charge for the labor, only charged for the new clasp. Also I had a very heavy intricate gold necklace that they copied exactly the links and added two inches to the length. Beautiful work and I have been very happy with their craftmanship and the prices. If you search the archives you will find some lengthy posts on Bangkok jewelers. I know that Bob (RHK) has a favorite jeweler he has used on many trips and I'm sure he will share the name here.
Sue
Old Dec 13th, 2010, 09:26 AM

SJ should be able to do the repairs for you quickly and easily. I've had custom-made items delivered to my hotel the day before I fly out. I've been shopping at SJ for over 20 years.
Old Dec 13th, 2010, 11:31 AM

BOB (RHKKMK) uses Thai Stone Jewelry at the Nana Hotel. They give him good prices and do beautiful work, as I've seen several of Karen's custom pieces. Unfortunately, it seems you have to be WITH Bob to get the same service and pricing!
Old Dec 13th, 2010, 02:51 PM

my folks send everything to the factory for repairs so it will not meet your specifications....

you might be best for find an artisan to do the work...one who has his/her own bench

the plating probably could only be done off site...
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

I would be remiss if I didn't give a big thanks for the excellent reco for SJ. I had a great experience with them...they did a fantastic job fixing my ring and I was beyond pleased. Highly recommend!!!
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 05:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad this surfaced, I was thinking of asking for the contact info for Kathie's jeweler. Not that I'm a shopper, lol, but I might be tempted by an emerald ring. Or should I wait to buy emeralds in South America?
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 09:32 AM

Best prices for emeralds is in Brazil or Columbia. But I bought emerald earrings at SJ years ago, and an emerald ring there a few years back and got good prices. It never hurts to look!
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 09:33 AM

oops - I hit post too soon.

I'm so glad you had a goos experience with them, Emily!