Reload this Page >

Recommendations for India

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 04:58 AM
Jamie

Hi,<BR><BR>I'm traveling to India and Nepal for six weeks at the beginning of April 02'. Flying in to Dehli and out of Mumbai. Does anyone have any ideas for itinaires, places to go and see? and travel in between these places, would like to take in Goa as well. Any ideas and suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>Jamie

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 07:35 AM
Paul

Hi,<BR>It is really difficult to say. There is so much to see. You've got to get on to one of the sites and search for places or subjects that interest you and I'm sure you'll then be able to list out your areas of interest. Once you are done with that send your request to those tour operators listed and recommended by organizations and you'll find many reply and offering their services. <BR>Should you need more suggestions, plz do not hesitate to reply and I'll try to put you on a tour operator in Delhi.<BR>Good luck<BR>Paul

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 12:55 AM
Bibi

Hi Jamie<BR><BR>May I suggest you think in terms of 4 weeks in the North and Nepal and two weeks in the South. Goa is between both and could be easily taken in If you need more information drop a line <BR><BR>Bibi

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 08:33 AM
meg

Just got back to UK from India (10 days). Stayed in Delhi, did the usual sights. Train (Shabtadi Express) from Delhi to Agra to visit Fatephur Sikri, Agra Red Fort and Taj Mahal (2 hours each way, gives you 12 hours in Agra). Took overnight Ranikhet Express to Kathgodam and then taxi to Nainital (former hill station during the British Raj); Almora and Kausani (fantastic viess of Himalayas) All rdcommeded

Old Dec 30th, 2001, 07:39 PM
archie

Hi Jamie, <BR> Six weeks is a short time for India and Nepal unless you have a very scheduled tour planned and flights or trains booked. I would review travel guides, eg, by Lonely Planet of Let's Go .for ideas or check out travel brochures for highlights of Northern India..<BR> You should note that it will be getting very hot in Delhi, Rajasthan and Bombay (humidity) in April and May. Great for treaking in Nepal but in Agra, Jaipur, etc.. the temps can get over 100 degrees. Once in May I spent most of my time looking for shade..and a slight breeze..rivers were dry, pools as well..<BR>Enjoy your travels.. in India..remember it is a big country and travel takes time..a good rail system but..poor highways.

Old Dec 31st, 2001, 01:23 AM
tom

Jamie<BR>are you still making plans for your holiday or is it on hold at the moment?

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 12:53 PM
Ruby

Hi there,<BR><BR>Here are a few suggestions:<BR><BR>From Delhi- take the train to Agra and check out the Taj Mahal and the ghost town of Fatepur Sikri. <BR>From Mumbai-take a train (7 hours) or fly (20mins) to Aurangbad and and check out the UNESCO sites Ellorah and Ajanta caves. They are both well worth the travelling the distance.<BR>Goa-Make sure you check out Old Goa and the city of Panjim. The beaches, of course, are a given, but the other part of Goa is also really interesting. This can be done in a long day trip. Perhaps Old Goa first and then to Panjim for dinner.<BR>If you have time, I have heard great things about Kerala. We didnt' have the time to go, but hope to go back.

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 05:42 PM
andrea

Soooooo much to see & do in India! Have spent a total of 3 months there & have barely even scratched the surface.<BR><BR>Keep is mind, April is when it begins to get really hot. You may want to spend some time up north. I loved Dharmsala, aka, little Tibet. Home of the Dalai Lama. Very peaceful, lush area. Great place to hike.<BR><BR>Also, Pushkar is a great place to get your bearings. Right outside of Ajmer which is not far from Jaipur. Jaipur is pretty fabulous too. <BR><BR>Pokhara is a lovely lakeside area in Nepal & the starting point for many treks, which I highly recommend.<BR><BR>Drink only bottled water & cooked food. Have a great trip!

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 04:49 AM
Amit Kesari

Hi Jamie,<BR><BR>I strongly recommend you to have a look at:<BR><BR>http://www.world66.com/page.asp?loc=47<BR><BR>and check it yourself. I hope you will get much more information.<BR><BR>I am from Mumbai, If you need any help, email me.<BR><BR>Amit

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 06:39 AM
Utpal

Here is my two cents:<BR>1) Wonderful Kovalam beach at Kerla (Kerala)<BR>2) Darjeeling, the Himalayan mountain resort, with its wondeful Toy Train, now a Unesco World Heritage, in West Bengal.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 10:30 AM
heather

Our only experience is in South India so will restrict our comments to there. In Goa we have always stayed at the Sea Shell Inn in Candolim, immaculately clean rooms +fan and fridge for about 4-500 rupees, if I remember rightly - also the food is superb. If you can afford it (as opposed to local transport), it is well worth having a regular taxi driver - we would unreservedly recommend Avito Figueiro - his number is GA O1 V1385 and his "stand" is in front of the Canara Bank - using Avito is like having your own personal shopper and his English is superb. We saved huge amounts of momey through him. In Kerala, we would recommend the Backwaters Cruise, which was absolutely magical. We booked locally.<BR><BR>Please e-mail us if you want to know more.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 09:01 PM
utpal

Hey PILOT - the PAKI, why didn't you suggest visiting the wonderful land of Pakistan or Kidnapistan what ever you want to call. Get a life looser.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 10:35 PM
mall

hi pilot,<BR>have done that looking for for indians at my local mall so many times now. Dont see any. I think You are a liar.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 11:02 AM
ME

Hey pilot,<BR>Once you get the white hood of your head and are able to see past people's skin color, maybe you can appreciate people for who they are you bigot. <BR><BR>Im not sure I want to know what race or creed you are but your hatred for Indians shows how narrow minded you and your kin are. <BR><BR>To generalize that Indians work at Kmart and gas stations must be something your mother taught you. Besides, how much time DO you spend at a Kmart? I've seen plenty of white folk at gas stations, greased up and smelling like an old can of skoal. Or perhaps you're a Paki.....hey where's that Wall Street Journal reporter?

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 11:24 AM
ddd

really pilot there must be a better way to get rid of all your inner rage. I know 12 year olds don't always know how to deal with emotions but this is not appropriate behavior for any age. <BR><BR>Put down the beer let mom know when you will be home and then go home.

Old Feb 25th, 2002, 03:46 AM
chanty

I could recommend a site, which I've used myself called tulleeho.com which has some pretty decent info about drinking out in different cities of India.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 11:44 AM
stephaine

jamie, india is a wonderful country if you want to see sample itins go to smartours.net/ gate1.com both have terrific tours to india and nepal. this will give you an idea of what to see and the highlights and you can then plan your own trip accordingly. have a great tine enjoy!!!!!

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 03:47 PM
Millar

Do you know what. Trying to make definite travel plans ina coutry like india is both difficult and ulimately bound to fail. Many ofthe places that one goes to are at opposite ends of the spectrum. You either ike it and want to stay longer but have made plans, or you hate it and want to leave but are stuck until your train goes. Its best to visit the train stations aweek ahead of time and book as you go. You will inevitably meet people who have recently been to places and will give you advice and having the abilty to be flexible is a lot more fun. I say this as I got back recently from two months in India, we had booked several train tickets and were looking at getting uorselves to where we wanted to be in time. But one train got cancelled and it threw the whoe plan off. It was dissapointing but good things came out of t, we ended up going to epal on the spur of the moment for a month. So my advice is, have an idea and read up on what there is, then decide as you go and as you meet people there what the best route to take is.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 04:53 AM
Cathy

Jamie,<BR>I just got back from India and had a great time. Regardless of the weather, you will enjoy it! Although I am a true independent traveler, I did find the need to have a travel agent contact in Delhi due to all the uncertainties. Even if you want to do your own thing, it would be good to contact one who could offer advice and recommend even budget acommadations while you are traveling. My plans really changed after speaking to people there and finding the realities of how long it would take to get from one place to another. The man we used is in Delhi. His name is Durjay Sengupta and you can email him at [email protected]<BR>If you want more info on my trip, feel free to write me.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 07:21 AM
Igor

Marie, I would be grateful if you could send me your itenerary.<BR>Thanks,<BR>Igor