Search

Ratt: Help! Her other drivers/guides in Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2006, 01:43 AM
fzg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ratt: Help! Her other drivers/guides in Bangkok

I hope someone who has used Ratt/knows her business well can help - I have been emailing Ratt and she has tried to be helpful (apart from where she answered someone else's email in response to my email even though my message was attached - a bit odd but I suspect teething probs as discussed on the board).

She has proposed a guide (not a driver) by the name of Mrs Mint - does anyone know of this lady and can give us some guidance or let us know who we should be asking Ratt to provide?

Also, we have not visited Bangkok before and are there for 4 nights in April - do you think we should book the guide for one or two days? We are happy to explore ourselves but also I know its a horrid time of year to visit so we'll appreciate the A/C of the car and prob get around quicker than trying to do everything on our own. Therefore should we use Ratt Service for one or two days? Would we be able to see the principal things in one day and then use the next day to go on the SkyTrain to other sites? Or is it just much simpler to use Ratt Service for 2 days?

Any help and views very much appreciated!
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 02:04 AM

Someone posted last week who used Mrs. Mint and loved her. If you do a search under ratt or mint you should be able to find the post. Personally I would use her for two days. The ability to cool down in an air conditioned car and not have to worry about how to get from point a to b is well worth the money. You won't be sorry.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 02:41 AM
fzg
Original Poster

thank you glorialf for the prompt response! I did a search and there seems to some debate as to whether the name was Mint or Mink (jkgourmet used a lady named Mink) but Ratt clearly says "Mrs Mint" in her email to me and in her email to cyn777 - could it be a mix up?
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 03:32 AM

I think it was decided it was a mix up or a typo. Person was Mint.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 04:21 AM
fzg
Original Poster

thank you so much then!!
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 05:06 AM

I e-mailed Ratt at her yahoo address, she has not responded, how long does she take to respond to inquires. All posting have given her excellent reviews. Guess, I'll wait a few more days and then try her again.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 05:15 AM

Personally, I don't think anyone really needs a guide if they've done their research beforehand but everyone has different travel styles. Bangkok is a very easy place to travel within.

Mind you, I didn't have a driver either. I walked or took the bus and tuktuks almost everywhere I went within Bangkok (and took trains and buses to get outside of Bangkok).

Thailand is fabulous place, you'll have fun either way.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 05:20 AM

WE used Tony from Ratt. he was very good. I would suggest you get a driver for one day and explore on your own. That can be fun.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 05:23 AM

Take her for 2 days- its not that you need a guide- more importantly its having a driver with an air conditioned car, cold bottled water and towels that will make all the difference in the world- as I always say its not a question of need but of want! TRhat heat and humidity will drain you if you are schlepping between taxis, trains, boats etc. You will see more, get more done, have more energy by using Ratt's service- in the end its a no brainer.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 05:25 AM

You definitely don't need a guide but they can be helpful for frist timers and a driver is wonderful. I gather Mint does both. Plus you will be spending two days with a local person who can tell you more about the current government, ways of the people etc than you will ever learn in a guide book. I find connecting with locals is a huge part of travel and having a guide/driver is one way to do it. I've learned a huge amount from Ratt and Poon about things that are not written about in books.

Ratt usually responds within 48 hours. I would email her again and use both email address. The other one is [email protected]
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 05:34 AM

to use a guide/driver or not is really a personal choice...using one eliminates all the uncertainity of a new city....but it takes some of the fun of discovery travel out of your trip.....in april i should think having the a/c car at your beck and call would be attractive to most people....with only 4 days you need as much efficiency as you can muster to see things....

try to group things that are best done with a guide into two days and do the other things alone....i.e. do things like shopping alone, a klong tour alone, eating time alone....etc...with the guide do sightseeing at places like grand palace, etc
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 07:09 AM
fzg
Original Poster

thank you all so much for your help and guidance. I have emailed Ratt just to clarify that Mrs Mint's car has A/C (am sure it will) but also I am hoping that she mentions its the same car which jkgourmet used as then that would put my mind at rest about the "Mink/Mint" mix up as jkgourmet mentioned Mink used a Honda Accord (maybe everyone drive's one of those in Bangkok). I know it sounds a bit paranoid but, with such little time, we would like to be sure we're in the right hands. I would have no problem with this if I knew we were having Ratt (btw - we are using Ponheary in Siem Reap and v happy to go with everything she says) but I have just read mixed review on other drivers and guides.

I didnt actually ask for a guide but did ask Ratt for the name of the driver she could offer and she came back with Mrs Mint and mentioned she was a licensed guide and was being offered to us on a special promotion price - I was therefore a bit keen to find out a bit about her e.g. was she new and therefore learning the ropes etc.

Many thanks to you all once again for your kindness and any further tips very gratefully received!
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 09:43 AM

Mink...Mint...One thing to know about Thailand is that spelling is very seldom consistant. One word can easily end up being spelled many different ways.My own name ends up getting spelled many different ways when I'm in Bangkok.People mix up the letters...just as I do when I'm trying to use the "Thai" alphabet...one which is foreign to me. Happy Travels!
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 10:24 AM

Guen- at least with your name you never have to worry about having to buy a vowel.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 10:41 AM

fzg

If you're so inclined, ask Ponheary to take you out to one of the village schools and donate some school supplies. It will be the highlight of your trip.

Have a wonderful time!
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 10:51 AM
fzg
Original Poster

thank you all once again. I've been reading about buying pens for the school children but will check with Ponheary if there is anything else we could bring which may help them a little nearer the time.