Rajasthan & Gujarat itinerary 4 weeks in October

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, would really appreciate comments from more experienced India travelers on this itinerary, this is our first trip
The plan is to hire a Tempo with same driver for entire trip and have accommodation already booked
There are 4 of us (women) with a diverse range of interests including art & craft, wildlife, environment, gardens, old world, spiritual sites, culture, architecture, food, shopping and so on and on and on…

28/9 – Arrive in Delhi
1/10 – Catch train to Agra, stay 1 night
2/10 – Drive to Jaipur via Fatephur Sikri, stay in Jaipur 4 nights
6/10 - Drive to Pushkar via Ajmer, stay in Pushkar 3 nights
9/10 - Drive to Jodhpur, stay 3 nights (Marwar Festival)
12/10 - Drive to Udaipur, stay 4 nights
16/10 – Drive to Ahmedabad, stay 2 nights (Calico Museum)
18/10 – Drive to Dasada, stay 2 nights (Little Rann)
20/10 – Drive to Hodka via Modhera & Patan, stay 3 nights (not sure yet if this is the right route… May have to go to Bhuj via Ahmedabad and Hodka via Bhuj?)
23/10 – Drive to Bhuj, stay 2 nights (Great Rann)
25/10 - Fly to Mumbai
29/10 – Depart

Having some reservations about doing the distance in the time we have and the amount of driving involved? Would it be best to have one driver for the entire trip or one driver Rajasthan, one driver Gujarat?
Thanks in advance for your comments
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 06:10 AM

is the amount of time in pushcar too much?? what is there to do there after seeing the camels??

i prefer one driver if that can be arranged....make sure you hire one with a large SUV.

it is a lot of driving, but this is how you best see the country.
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

I have no idea.... things of interest would be the lake, the ghats (apparantly there is evening prayer at Varah Ghat with "huge lamps and chimes of bell. Attend it, it is mesmerizing", Savitri & Brahma temples, markets and apparantly rose gardens... apparantly it's a big area for rose growing and oil distillation... and camels...

Do you think a Tempo Traveller wouldn't be suitable? Our travel agent has given us a price of AUD$200 / day, all inclusive including getting driver back to Delhi. Does that souond like a lot?
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 07:09 AM

It's double what you should be paying.
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 11:13 AM

You don't say when your flight arrives ind Delhi. You will be frazzled. When are the trains to Agra?

The camel fair in Pushkar is in late October and early Nov. Is it worth it if you don't see the Camel Fair?

I've not been to Gujarat, but Dogster has. I agree with his assessment of your daily rate. It's over 9000 rupees/day. We paid Ramesh Meena about 3100 rupees/day (all inclusive) at high season (late Nov.-Dec.) for two people.
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 12:37 PM

yes dogster and indianapearl the price is too much for Tempo Traveller
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 12:48 PM

i know it was three years ago but we paid our agent $411 for a car and driver for 11 days...

recently i had a quote of a car (large SUV) and driver, from a private driver, for 20 days of $1000. seems to me that is $50 per day...
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I did think it sounded expensive, given that I got a quote from a company in Gujarat of approx. $100 day, though this was for an Innova not a Tempo.

Indianapearl, we arrive in Delhi at lunchtime, so probably late afternoon by the time we get out of the airport and get to the hotel. We have 3 nights in Delhi (2 full days), then we get the Shatabdi Express to Agra, which leaves at 8.30am. Unfortunately we have restrictions on dates so we are going to miss the camel fair, but at least we will make the Marwar Festival at Jodhpur.

Sounds like Pushkar might just be a good place for a short stopover? How does it compare to Varanasi?
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 09:01 PM

You may consider to stay Pushkar for one night, there is not much to do during the time of your visit. Most of the things can be done in one day. Instead you can spend two nights at Ranthambhore National park for Tigers. You can drive from Agra to Ranthambhore - Jaipur.
Old Apr 16th, 2011, 08:23 PM

I want to suggest you look around in this site:
http://www.gujarattourism.com/showpa...contentid=1252

This man is highly recommended by moi.
http://www.poshina.com/

If you respond, I will post a map of a stunnin route thru uj, comin via Mt. Abu and Poshina, stayin at heritae homes.

Rann Riders is completely horrible in every way. I don't think you should be trusting your Oz T.A.

Have you looked here?
http://www.indiaunbound.com.au/

great site, good guy. Trust him.

And, of course, chapter and verse on Doggy's travels to Gujarat here:
http://thedogster.wordpress.com/gujarat-home-page/
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

dogster your india stories make for some very good, but mildly disturbing reading

thanks for the gujarat links. unfortunately poshina is a bit expensive for my budget, but looks like an interesting place. the indiaunbound site is also excellent, but again more than the current budget.

did you have a bad experience at rann riders?
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 10:41 PM

In my opinion, you are spending too much time in Jaipur, Pushkar & Udaipur without seeing much of the rural countryside, the most colourful aspect of Rajasthan. I am not a votary of rushing through Rajasthan but an itinerary must be balanced & contain the best of a particular region. 03 nights in Jaipur are good.
I also differ with the expression at Varah Ghat.It is not well known for the evening 'aarti' and does not compare positively with the experience at Varanasi & Rishikesh! Two nights at the most are recommended.
You could stay at Ravla Narlai, some 20 miles before Ranakpur. The 'happiness factor' will be the highest here, for not only there is great ambiance, the food & service is good. The rooms are interesting & so are the walks in the countryside, prettier homesteads, farming techniques & rocks!
Undoubtedly, the itinerary needs improvement not only in Rajasthan but in Gujerat as well.
Happy travels!
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 12:39 AM
Original Poster

thanks vp. I am taking your comments on board re: the itinerary. hard part is that I am currently negotiating this with three other people, not such an easy task. the feedback on this forum is proving to be really helpful though. do you have any other suggestions for rural places to visit, not too far off the road to be travelled? thankyou everyone who has commented so far
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 04:15 PM

Hi carobb
We have just returned from India, having visited Pushkar in March. We had a driver Kanwat Singh (Rajput) who was recommended to us by a host we stayed with in Kota and he was brilliant, even picking us up at the train station (after our contract had concluded) at Jaipur when the train was cancelled and ensuring that we got on the last bus to Delhi at no cost. Kan Singh is a jovial character and absolutely trustworthy. He has two cars (indica and ambassador) so he can accommodate people who may be travelling in the same direction but who have different interests, or who need to visit different towns but meet up again later.
You will definately need some rest time when you get to Delhi so it is good you are spending at least two days there. The train station in Delhi will be chaotic (it always is). Your carriage (marked on your ticket with your seat number) will have your names posted on a piece of paper on the outside. The ticket inspector will come around when the train leaves the station to check your tickets. If you have wheelies you do not need to take a porter or else if you are unsure how to find your train (platforms are not logically marked sometimes) hire just one to carry your biggest bag and just follow him with the rest. Indians treat the porters badly and as tourists we should not follow the rabble. These are poor people who have short lives and great injuries to backs and necks due to the loads the Indians require them to carry. NB there are no lifts at the stations only loads of stairs. Toilets in the trains are not as clean as we would like them to be and generally do not have toilet paper, so carry your own as well as disposable toilet seat covers.
Jaipur will take at least 2 - 3 days. A must do is a hot air balloon ride with Skywaltz [email protected]. We did this last month and it was just great even though we did not fly over the fort (as I particularly wanted) due to the particular air current for the day, but over the agricultural land - this gives you a great view and idea of village life. You can also do a ride with skywaltz in Udaipur (if they have been able to overcome the army regulations). If you use Kan Singh he will take you to Sanganeer to a paper factory - while the process is somewhat interesting you will certainly find the showroom exciting. From Jaipur I would drive to Jhodpur and then on to Pushkar, Ajmer, Ranakpur and Udaipur. In Pushkar you only need 2 days (one overnight) depending on the time of day you arrive. Cars cannot enter Pushkar itself (the lanes are only narrow enough for scooters, cycle rickshaws, cows and goats. Hotels that have parking are generally outside Pushkar - a dusty and hot walk of up to 1/2 hour. I would recommend Inn Dia or since some of your group have an interest in textiles, then I would certainly recommend getting in touch with Fiona who is to open up her home as Our Pukka Place. She runs tours around fabric stamping and weaving and also cooking classes. She recently ran a hotel in Pushkar but did not renew the lease on that when she decided to renovate and expand her home to cater for guests. She will be open for business about the time you are planning, so I thoroughly recommend that you get in touch with her at www.our-pukka-place.com She has a camel who will take you to market in the camel cart. She will also take you to Kishanagar another cloth weaving/stamping town and can also arrange for you to visit Tilonia - the only village that is run on solar energy and has a womens only school and college. It is an interesting place and with your varied interests you are sure to be thrilled. You can read our experience of Pushkar on TA and also get in touch with me if you want Kan Singh's address and also an English speaking (Accountant turned) driver in Delhi who has both a taxi van and a private car. We have used him extensively during our many trips to Delhi. My contact details [email protected].
In Pushkar eat at a rooftop restaurant - you will have to climb narrow stairs to about 4 levels - Rainbow and Out of the Blue are ones that I recommend (remember the mosquito repellant). If you are looking for gemstones, visit Ashok Nagpal at Lovely Crafts opposite the temple. No point going by numbers - there are none displayed. The market is just one long lane running semicircularly around the lake with a few lanes running off it.
Remember that September and October will be hot, so sunscreen hats and water. Happy to send you my pre travel notes.
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 04:20 PM

BTW
Kan Singh charges around AUD$70/day plus any tolls and parking costs.
Fiona is an Australian and so are we.
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 04:28 PM

Yes, you can drive from Agra via Ranthambore - contact Ravinder Singh at Ranthambore Regent, to Jaipur. You will need to book your jeep or gypsy truck (large open air and cramped) well before hand. We have known Ravinder for many years and he is very good at organising the tiger treks (tiger sighting not guaranteed ofcourse but I understand that there have been recent sighting of tigers in Ranthambore).
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Hi Rasputin1, thanks so much for the information you have passed along. Wanted to read about your Pushkar experience but not sure where to find the info?
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 04:04 PM

Hi Carobb
Hope you got my e-mail. My short Pushkar review is on TA. Happy to provide any other information you want.
Can send you Ravinder Singh (Ranthambore) personal e-mail if you require. We certainly enjoyed our stay in Ranthambore and the staff at the RR were great. We took photographs of them and sent them back to them both in hard copy and on the internet and they were thrilled. Ravinder invited us to visit with him in his village this time, but we declined as we wanted to do a loop taking in Kota, Bundi, Tonk and Sanganeer and Ranthambore would have added another 2 days. Next time perhaps.