COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Rajasthan - Delhi Agra in 16 days - what places to see and how to travel

Old Jan 13th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Me and my friend are travelling in Feb to do the Rajasthan, Delhi and Agra trip. But we only have around 16 days.

I'm trying to work out the best route and the best method of travelling, but am getting confused.

Should we hire out a private driver for the whole trip or just parts of the trip? And if its hiring out - how much should we expect to pay for the whole trip as an estimate? I've read roughly 250 per nite and 10 per km?

The places I have with the rough estimate of days are:

Delhi - 2 day
Jaisalmer - 2 days
Bikhaner - 1 day
Jodhpur - 2 days
Mount Abu - 1 day
Rathambore - 2 days
Udaipur - 3 days
Pushkar - 1 day
Jaipur - 2 days
Agra - 1 day

The above is after cutting out so much.

But i have a problem of where to begin. As we would like to be in Jaipur for the elephant festival (feb 28th) and we are leaving uk on Feb 23rd.

Any tips and advice more than welcome!
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 08:31 PM

STOP... get a pen and cut out 1/2 of these places....

deli/agra/jaipur are the 4 musts.... to this i might add 1 or 2 places....period...

a car and deiver for 11 days cost me about $400... get the SUV for comfort and safety....

how many people are you? that will make a difference...

i would add 1 day at least for both delhi and jaipur

hook up with one of the agencies mentioned here to avoid problems...
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 08:40 PM

Hi Dee -- this is WAY too much -- I would cut out Mount Abu and Rathambore and Pushkar at least. Here's a possibility:

Delhi -2
Agra - 1
Jaipur - 3
Udaipur - 2
Ranakhpur - 1 (Jain temples are AMAZING -- and also see Fort Kumbalghar)
Jodhpur -2
Jaisalmer - 2
Bikaner -1
Mandawa -1 (much easier than driving to Bikaner in one day and the painted havelis in Shekawati were very interesting)
Delhi -1

This is still a lot, but much more doable than your itinerary. Take the train from Delhi to Agra and then have the driver pick you up in Agra to drive to Jaipur and the rest of the trip-- and this itinerary puts you there on the 28th. I think 3200 a day all inclusive for the car and driver is fair. By the way, I loved driving, because you see so much along the way that you don't when you fly. Plus, flying has become such a hassle.

See my trip report from last year for hotel suggestions -- you can click on my name and it should come up.

Keep us posted on your plans. Hope you have a great trip!
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 04:27 AM

I agree with travelaw - and you have to account for time to get from place to place - so you can't just add up the days in each place to fit within your overall days count. Basicaly 1/2 day to get from anywhere to anywhere at the minimum.

I actually think flying in India is relatively easy and in a few places you should consider it to save some time, especially if its an evening flight as your preference should be not to drive after dark excessively.

Mandawa and the Shekawati region are fascinating. Its a great recommendation.

I am not such a big fan of Jaipur - its good for a day to visit the fort and the markets, but unless you need to do major shopping, I wouldn't stay much longer.

Ranakpur and Kumbalghar are outstanding. And Jodhpur is my favorite city in the area.

You have no nature in your trip - which might be fine with you. But if you do want to get into the jungles at all, Ranthambore is a decent bet - no guarantee of tigers at that time, but its a pretty atmospheric place and you'll get a chance to hear birds and animals, rather than horns and stray dogs.

You could also go to Sariska for a foray into a jungle - all the tigers are unfortunately poached (though they have reintroduced 3), but its still a beautiful park and you could get lucky with other sightings.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 05:53 AM

I agree with staying longer in fewer places. Jaisalmer is way at the western end of Rajasthan. Although I've not been there, I'd eliminate that destination to get your geographical area more compact since you have so little time. We loved Jodhpur, Udaipur, Jaipur, not so much Agra or Delhi. Our driver charged 3150 rupees/day inclusive (high season charges).
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 11:17 PM

deli/agra/jaipur are the <red>4</red> musts?
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 05:36 PM

How does one find a car and driver for Del/Agra/Rajastan?
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys. Appreciate all the advice.

Jenny28, sounds like my kind of places and itinery. Where did u book the driver from? What agency?
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 01:07 PM

Dee_P, Jenny28 sounds like an agency rep - they'd all like you to believe that you can do these ridiculous itineraries (note the correct spelling). You will go to many places but you won't SEE anything as all you will be doing is driving from place to place - many of these places are 4-6 hours apart. It is just plain stupid to even consider trying to visit all of these places in such a short time.
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 01:08 PM

jenny28-

It seems like you must have spent about 4 or 5 hours in the car every day. You must really like being on the road!
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 02:42 AM

Sorry Jenny, this is a ridiculous itinerary.

'...4 to 5 hrs. You have to travel, in my opinion this is not too much...'

4-5 hours A DAY. Ludicrous. Laughable. PLUS sightseeing. Life is too short to break down the real travel times. I could demolish this itinerary with pure logic.

Udaipur to Pushkar to Bundi to Jaipur to Ranthambore to Agra? Wow, that's smart planning. [for the confused, look on a map]

Jenny - you've been taken for a serious ride. Dee_P, don't fall for this.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 09:47 AM

Drive thru tourism at its worst!!
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 01:57 AM

Hello
I think now dogster can you tell us in 16 days for Rajasthan and Agra what will be the best in your opinion,
And I have seen the road map of Rajasthan you can go easily form Udaipur > Puskar > Bundi > Ranthambore > Jaipur and Agra.
there is no problem.

Have a good time
Thanks to all
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 05:47 AM

I have information that jenny may be from Delhi Magic -- is that true jenny?
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 07:04 AM

Dunno about that, trav: Deepa who runs Delhi Magic is a highly respected commentator on Indian travel. Check this out:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/members...Deepa_Krishnan

As a matter of fact, I think she's a woman you'd relate to very strongly. Jenny isn't remotely in the same league.

And no, Jenny - I'm not gonna bite. It's pointless. You've been a member here for four days, in another four you'll probably disappear. I can't be bothered.

You're sounding like the worst of the worst Indian travel agents: all you see is 10 cents a mile. Of course it's in your interests to shlep tourists as many unnecessary miles as you can. Do you ever stop to think you are abusing your visitors, your heritage and your country by selling it short like this?
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 08:21 AM

lol. trav evens the score...
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 09:09 AM

So; dee-p is Deepa?

Talking to herself?? What a unique marketing scheme!
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Hey all,

No - i'm not that Deepa. I'm from Uk and very confused on method of travel.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 12:34 PM

Well Dee, I'm sure this post is confusing you even more.

Just so you can get a grip on what a normal car and driver might cost you, go here:

http://savaari.com/user/step1.php

I just did a dummy run on 16 days starting in Delhi: cheapest option is about US$600 - best will be a SUV at around $800. You could book that without even having to do an itinerary.

[yup, car and driver is the way to go, whatever your itinerary - you can choose between an established, India-wide company or opt for one of the mom and pop companies with a recco'd driver]

I note this: 'But I have a problem of where to begin. As we would like to be in Jaipur for the elephant festival (feb 28th) and we are leaving uk on Feb 23rd...'

So that solves your first five or six days.
Delhi 2
Agra 1
Jaipur 2/3
Good to be there the day before a festival to get your bearings.

Agra/Fatehpur Sikri/Jaipur 230 KMS DRIVING TIME: - 04 AND 1/2 HR.

Logically go to Pushkar next
Jaipur/Pushkar 145 KMS. DRIVING TIME: - APPRX. 03 HRS.

Then on to Jodhpur - approx 3 hours
That 8/9 days right there, minimum with reasonable driving times.

how does that seem so far?

You could drive 6 hours each way to Jaisalmer from Jodhpur but that's in effect two full days outta your schedule.

I'd lose that and head down towards Udaipur, stopping if you can make the time en route to get into some rural Rajasthan, Ranakpur etc.. There are some great heritage places, up and down budget and some homestays that might take your fancy. Look here for options in all your destinations:

http://www.mahindrahomestays.com/Pages/home.aspx

two other suggestions:

click on travelaws name and read her report on a similar trip last year.

And think about this: end your trip in Udaipur and fly back to Delhi. That'll be about 15 hours driving you won't have to do.

let me know how you feel so far.