Rain in Kyoto and Kanazawa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2006, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just checked the weather forecast in these cities as we leave for Japan in 38 hours. Both places seem to have lots of rain in the forecast. Any suggestions of things to do if it's really pouring? Or perhaps it doesn't mean downpours, but just drizzle? I am bringing a raincoat and umbrella. Should I bring waterproof shoes, too? Hopefully you'll tell me I'm crazy. I had been hoping for more springlike weather by the end of March and early April.
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 02:56 PM

It's sunny today in Kanazawa with 90% chance of rain after 6:00 pm. (It's now 8:46 AM Wednesday). For the week, the forecast is for 40% chance of rain or less each day. What that generally means is that it won't rain...though sometimes on the 10% days it pours...go figure. Sometimes it's drizzle, sometimes it's downpours.

When my parents visited us at the same time, wow, now seven years ago, we had sunny days, snow, rain, cold and warm all in 3 weeks. One of our days in Kyoto was rainy and cold, but we were fine with frequent coffee/tea breaks, taxis, and umbrellas picked up at the station.

Don't bring your umbrella...takes up too much space and will likely be blown to bits the first time you use it if it is a travel umbrella. Instead, keep 500 yen coins handy, as at the first sprinkle of rain, umbrellas for sale pop up everywhere...you won't be caught without one for long.

A raincoat...I wear a waterproof, breathable (breatheable?) jacket by Norhtface that works well. I tried a regular raincoat and a poncho before, but they were too sticky...sweaty.

Shoes...best to have ones you don't care if they get wet. Waterproofing helps, but in some areas in heavy rain the water can't drain quickly enough and gets deep so you end up wading at times. This is not uncommon in Kanazawa in the lower lying areas.

Don't worry too much about the weather forecast. It's frequently wrong, and this time of year is highly variable. You'll likely encounter all the possibilities as my parents did when they were here.

In Kanazawa, people say that if you don't like the weather, just wait a while and it will change. They also say that you can forget your lunch but don't forget your umbrella (meaning it can rain at anytime)...but nowadays there are really umbrellas available for those of us who don't make a habbit of carrying one wherever we go.

You will enjoy your trip no matter what the weather is. If it rains, enjoy a coffee/tea/shopping/museum/nap
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 02:57 PM

When will you be in Kanazawa?
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 04:50 PM

I leave Saturday and was wondering the same thing.

It says 60% chance of rain Tuesday, Wed and Thursday in Osaka/Kyoto. It looks like Monday and Friday are clear (I fly home Friday evening).
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 05:11 PM

I'm not leaving for a week but just looked at forecasts for Kyoto on weather.com, accuweather.com and quikcast.com - they were all different! OY! Just be prepared for whatever....have a great trip everyone!!
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 05:13 PM

I just did the same thing - accuweather shows sun all of next week when weather.com shows rain.

Mara - have a great trip also!
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 06:40 AM
emd

In Kyoto we had a (pouring)rainy day. Luckily, I had printed out and taken a trip report from here in which the poster had rainy day recommendations. We went to the covered shopping streets at Teramachi-Dori and Shijo-DOri, including the covered food market street attached, called Nishiki. Then we had had our concierge make an an apointment for us to do a fabric stenciling workshop at Yuzen Kodai. There are many hands on craft opportunities that I have posted links to in the past, including food prep classes, traditional jewelry making, doll making, washi paper making, traditional sweet making, etc. Very fun cultural activities. We loved it. You could also do an afternoon tea ceremony.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 06:46 AM
emd

re waterproof shoes: Would you wear waterproof shoes if it was raining at home? You won't be wading in ankle deep water. You probably won't go hiking on a really rainy day. And you probably can jump or walk around puddles. I wouldn't wear blue suede shoes. But just wear what you'd wear at home in the rain.

I had a parka that "shed" water andwas lined w/fleece and it was great in the rain. And you can buy anumbrella there or take one.

Don't worry to much about the rain. You aren't crazy, you are just angsting. If it rains, you'll adjust and still have a great time.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, especially to KimJapan and emd. I am leaving the umbrella and have my gore tex shell, which I can wear with layers underneath. And I will just see a rainy day as an opportunity to relax a bit! I will be in Nagoya inless than 48 hours, seeing my daughter for the first time in 6 months. I don't need to be concerned with much else! Head to Kyoto on Sunday. Plan to be in Kanazawa on Saturday evening, April 1st till Tuesday, when we head to Shirakawago and Tayakama. Finally hit tokyo on April 7th. Hoping for cherry blossoms, not too much rain, and quality time with my daughter. Thanks again to all of you who help us on this site. I can't wait to be the helper myself!
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 07:41 PM
emd

That's the spirit, debwhite. Focus on what is important, and the rain just falls away...