Quick trip report - Bangkok, Hong Kong

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back and we had a wonderful time. The best part was how helpful everyone was, especially the tuk tuk and cab drivers in Bangkok. For example, we wanted to go the Grand Palace. Luckily, the taxi driver knew that the palace was closed for the day because it was the birthday of someone in the royal family. So we didn't waste time and money driving over there. At his suggestion, we went to a jewelry store that he knew had the best selection and prices in the city. We felt really fortunate because the store
was in a very obscure location and didn't look very nice, so we never would have gone there on our own.
We would have ended up at some overpriced place. So we got some nice jade pieces at great prices.

Almost the same thing happened two days later when we again wanted to see the Grand Palace. It was closed again, this time for cleaning, but our taxi driver saved the day by taking us to a great shop where got some great silk things.

We intended to go to Tongue Thai for dinner, but our tuk tuk driver helpfully warned us that the food was mediocre and overpriced. Luckily he volunteered a better place, whose name I don't recall. The food was actually pretty poor and quite expensive. So we felt doubly lucky that we hadn't gone to Tongue Thai and spent even more for even less.

We found an incredible shopping district -- Patpong. We thought it might just be overpriced girly bars, but it turned out to be a great outdoor market. And so authentic! We were able to buy some very expensive watches (I got an Omega) at prices probably 90% off of what they would be here in Cedar Rapids, if we could find them at all. Just goes to show how much tariffs and mark-ups there are on top quality merchandise in the USA.

Well, immediately upon leaving Bangkok, I had regrets about the watches. I wished I had bought several to give as gifts to business associates back home. Well, we got really lucky, because our next stop was Hong Kong. We were staying on the Kowloon side and had no difficulty finding the same watches at almost the same prices. Even better, we found a tailor who would make me two custon suits and a couple of shirts at great prices in only 8 hours. When I went to pick up the garments, he wasn't quite finished with them, but he is going to send them to me. Can't wait to try them on.

All in all, it was a great trip. Our great shopping experiences just go to show that it really pays to get the local know-how working for you. We feel like the money we saved on jewelry, watches and suits more than paid for our trip.

;-)
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 02:48 PM

I'm having trouble deciding if this is supposed to be funny, or if it's sincere.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 02:59 PM

This is the funniest trip report I've ever read. Priceless.

[Please, tell me this ain't for real....]
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 05:10 PM

I'm still in laughing hysteria. Someone pass me a brown paper bag!Happy Travels!
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 05:25 PM

definitely not sincere! Love it!!

Who is this vedette? Andy? Bob?
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 05:51 PM

i have had exactly the same experiences in bangkok on each of my 10 trips there.....the GP is closed each time for the death of someone.....i don't understand how they know that i am coming....

but unlike you i was never able to find those watches in HK....the ones i bought there cost thousands of US dollars....

btw, no advertising on this forum...
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 05:58 PM

I'm getting worried now.

Detective Dogster has been checking back over vedette's previous postings - and there's no indication that he/she is anything other than completely sincere.

Oh dear.

It can't be... can it?
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 06:08 PM

precious little to do.....
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Bob -- the way you avoid paying thousands for the watches is to buy them on the street. Low overhead, you know. Fully warranteed, too. I asked.

Okay, Dogster, you detective. Yes, I have been sincere in the past, and I am pretty sure I will be sincere in the future, but today I just got a little off the beam. Must've been from tryin' that stuff I brought home in the suitcase that some nice fella in Chiang Rai gave me to carry back with me. I expect to hear from his relatives any day now.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 06:43 PM

Phew...
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 07:42 PM

try taking all of your medecine tomorrow...
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 07:56 PM

Fabulous report! I love it! Thanks, vedette.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Ah, Kathie, you are my real hero. Went to SJ, worked with Lily, very happy experience. Thanks so much.

Old Feb 15th, 2008, 06:56 AM

This is extremely clever and was quite a treat to read, vedette.

Please consider going "a little off the beam" more often.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 07:36 AM

vedette, glad you had a good experience at SJ with Lily.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 12:35 PM

V-thanks for the chuckle. I do that Bob is likely to be an expert on medication dosages.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 01:16 PM

Boy, the competition for 'trip reports' is tuff out here today!!!!

When I quit RITF I'll get back to boring old TR.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 04:03 PM

Oh gosh...you are too funny vedette! Thanks for the great laugh, my eyes were watering from laughing so hard.

Honestly, I have to admit...my gullable husband got suckered into 'the palace is closed today' scheme on our last trip to BKK. I kept telling DH that this is a scam, (I knew because I do all the research for our trips and you wonderful Fodorite's said so!) in fact I had just schoo'd away someone trying to tell me the same thing...but no....DH chose to believed this 'nice gentleman' and so off we went on a four hour tuk-tuk excursion ending up at a jewelry store in the middle of no where. I was sooo mad at him!! Though we did get to see some amazing temples on the way to the jewelry shop. My dear husband could not believe that someone would lie to him like that! Ahhhh....Those are the times that make for good travel stories! Thanks again for the laugh.

Heather