A few Thailand questions

Old Feb 14th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few Thailand questions

Hello all My mom and I take an international trip every year and we have decided on Thailand for the fall. We are fortunate enough to be fairly flexible as far as dates and length of trip (as long as FF miles work out- I already have some on hold.) We would like to go sometime between early Sept to end of Oct for ~2 weeks, give or take some days.

This will be my 2nd trip to Thailand. I went in 02 as a college graduate backpacker style This will be a different trip.

The tix I have on hold are from Oct 1 (arriving the 2nd) to Oct 17th. WDYT? Good time to go? We are not as interested in the beaches- more BKK and north. However, that being said, 4 full days is about all we'll need in BKK, so where to split up the rest of the time? We're certainly not opposed to the beaches either- just not looking for a beach vacation.

We would like to keep the BKK hotel ~$100. I know that should be easy to do Any fav recs? I've noticed "Tong" is mentioned a lot- I look forward to finding out more about her!!

Finally, do you have a fav guide book to recommend? I always find the best travel advice on these boards, but my mom likes a book to read.

Thank you!!!!!
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 03:20 PM

Go to see the temples at Angkor wat in Cambodia. While this will add some cost to the trip, these temples are truly unique and at the rate hotels are being built, it will be overbuilt soon.

Another idea is to go to Mae Hong Son in Northern Thailand. many posters have exclaimed about the overland trip from Chiang mai through Pai.

Tong and/or her team members are great guides. My wife and I have gone to the fishing village, Floating Market, tiger Temple and Forest Orphanage with Tong. All were wonderful experiences. She is definitely worth the price.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 06:23 PM

any chance you could move your dates to late october.....say go over on the 15th or so?? it is very wet in september usually and that can continue into october....by mid-month it is usually gone....

hotel prices jump on nov 1 btw....

i would do some bkk at the beginning and at the end of the trip...

why not explore northern thailand in between....fly to chiang rai and do the northern triangle area (rent a car as driving there is very easy---budget car rentals)....drive from there down to chiang mai and dump the car....look at yang come village as a place to stay---i may have spelled it incorrectly...there is another fodors favorite in CM, but someone else will have to supply the name....

you might look at a serviced apartment for your bkk stay....the centre point group has tons of places all over bkk....gives you both more privacy and a bigger place....CP silom is a favorite...

look at these hotel sites:

www.huahin.20m.com
www.asiarooms.com

books: fodors, impact guides, frommers
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!! I actually visited Cambodia and Angkor Wat on my first visit to SE Asia. I just wasn't sure we could fit that in in ~14 full days...
We are not opposed at all to renting a car (assuming I can get an automatic) I've driven all over Germany, Switz. , France, & Austria- I love renting cars and driving
Finally, I need to call about FF miles... would middle of Oct to end of Oct be better? i bet I can get flights!!!!
Again, Thanks for any and all input
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 07:37 PM

call now for FF!!!! call up to 331 days in advance...

sometimes automatics cost a lot more, but not always...
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 06:40 AM

October will be nearer the end of the rainy season. Weather link:

http://www.guidetothailand.com/thail...on/weather.htm

Most of the time the rain doesn't fall for long, probably an hour or so and it stops. After November the hotel prices do increase a little for high season.

I don't mind the rainy season, when it rains you can go into a restaurant or movie or do some mall shopping. Often the rain falls at night anyway. At a $100 per night you are really in "luxury" level pricing! A room in the $50 range is pretty good!

Perhaps you ought to put Chiang Mai on your trip. Women tourists seem to like that part of Thailand. From Chiang Mai you can visit the Long Neck Villages, Golden Triangle area and other rural and cultural attractions.

In Bangkok or Chiang Mai you can stop in at a travel agency and check out their list of available tours and choose one or two. The tour companies pick you up at your hotel and return you there at the end of the tour. You can go with a more expensive private company if you want to - your choice!

I like taking the overnight sleeper train to Chiang Mai. You can fly if you want, there are many local flights to that area.

You mention that you might consider driving in Thailand - you do remember that they drive on the "other" side of the road than what you have experienced in Europe - right?

When a foreigner (Farang) is involved in an accident - your fault or not - the Farang is often the person who ends up paying the bill! Foreigners have the "deep pockets" and considered rich ($100 per night hotel and Tong) so make them pay! Sometimes your passport is confiscated until the damages are paid for. Yes, your insurance company can probably figure things out, but you do take a chance when you drive yourself! Better to get a driver and private car and leave the driving to a local. Just an opinion!

Good luck.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Was able to change our flights- I now have on hold 1 tickets (first class!!!) arriving bkk at 9pm on Oct 17 and leaving Nov 1 at 10pm.

I feel a little bit better going the last half of Oct. So that's basically a 15 full day trip

Do you think we should try and make it to Siem Reap? Or stick with Thailand only.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 02:16 PM

You should have better weather at that time!

Whether to go to Siem Reap depends on your interest. You were there previously, did you feel you barely skimmed the surface or did you feel satisfied at the end of your time there?

Three locations would be ideal for your stay. You could certainly spend it all in Thailand or you could add a side trip to Cambodia or Laos.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 02:38 PM

If you were amazed by the temples last time, go again. If not, you might consider Luang Prabang, Laos. We went there and were charmed. It was accessible, interesting and relaxing. A very nice place for strolling and browsing. Easy to combine with BKK and the beach.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 05:36 PM

andy's idea of luang prabang is a good one....this way everything would be new for both of you.....hotels are hard to get there so do it now...all levels available in LP