Reload this Page >

Advice on itinerary Golden triangle/Northern Thailand etc

Old Mar 25th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

I would really appreciate some advice on my itinerary in Thailand.

I am arriving in BKK on 8th December 2005. I need to be back in BKK on 18th December.(I am fortunate enough to be spending Christmas there with my kids ).

After reading many posts here I have decided I would love to visit the Anantara hotel in the Golden triangle for 4 or 5 nights. Apart from that would love to hear of any ideas.
I dont mind travelling out of the country or touring part of Northern Thailand.

What would you suggest?

I have lived in Asia but only really seen it from a businessmans point of view.

Thanks in advance.

Old Mar 25th, 2005, 06:24 PM

december is a fabulous time in thailand...the one negetive is that prices and availability are more difficult around christmas...book early...and hope for decent prices...

4 or 5 nites at anantara may be too many...we spent 3 and that was perfect...there is not a great deal to do there and you are limited if you do not have a car....if you have a car, and i strongly suggest you rent one at the chiang rai airport, then the options expand much more...

the opium museum right across the street from the hotel is fantastic and worthy of about 3 hours or more..

the princess mother's estate, doi tung, about a 45 minute drive, is worthy of 1/2 day or more....

visits to myanmar and laos are also possible but do not really constitute a true picture of either country...they are only set up for smuggling and for tourists...we did neither visit as we have been or plan to visit both countries seperately...

chiang saen is not much of a town, but the market is interesting...a few local sites...

the cooking classes at the anantara are very good and cheaper than in bkk....even non cooks will have fun...the chef is a hoot...

the spa at the hotel is quite excellent i am told if that interests you....

the food is good at the hotel but not cheap...the pool is lovely and you can spend hours in it...the view is lovely as well...i am not a sitter so i need things to do...

the elephant camp can consume some of your time as well....

chiang rai--one hour south via car, holds some interest...we did not explore it...

i would plan to spend at least 2 days in bkk after arrival---assume you are coming from n. america...that will allow you to adjust to the jet lague and extreme heat....pick a hotel on the river, like the marriott resort and spa and vege out ....pick a hotel with a nice pool...many of us prefer the river locations...

www.huahin.20m.com is a good hotel site

other alternatives are angkor wat in cambodia or yangon in myanmar..both are a 1 hour flt from bkk...

dining in bkk is some of the best in the world
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

thanks very much rhkkmk.

I am actually flying in from London. I have been to BKK many times but always on business although i have have spent a few spare days sightseeing. I love BKK>
My kids are flying in from Sydney and London to meet up for a 10 day stay in BKK on the 18th.

Ok as for the itinerary.

If i stay in bkk o/n on the 8th and fly to Chang rai on the 9th or 10th it gives me at least 8 days.

I appreciate the info on the various sites / things to do around the area. I most certainly will do the recommended visits.
If i stay 3 days at the Anantara would you suggest going to Cambodia by plane or Burma or driving around northern thailand.

I am travelling with my wife and we are really excited about the trip.

Thanks
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 05:23 AM
CFW

We are interested in doing the same sort of thing on our next trip to Thailand, since we didn't have time for Anantara last trip. Our thought was to also spend some time in Chiang Mai area & then fly from CM to Luang Prabang, Laos & then fly from LP to Bangkok. Others on this site have recommended a boat trip on the river from Golden Triangle to Luang Prabang. There are no direct flights from Chiang Rai to LP that I am aware of. If anyone knows of any, please let us know.
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 06:50 AM

from chiang rai i do not think there are any international destinations, but i may be wrong....from chiang mai, which is a 4 hour drive from CR or a short flight, you are able to go to Luang Prabang, laos on bangkok air...i think there may also be a connection to Xian, china....otherwise i think you have to return to bkk for flights..

i am not sure of chat CR holds for touring but i find it hard to believe that you could spend more than one full day there...so 3-4 days in the north would be fine....now you could add chiang mai and then double your days...there are quite a few things to do around CM....i have to add that i have not particularily liked it in the past...shopping is good, although bkk offers more and there are a few notable sites...
i think you need to define what you want to accomplish out of a stay in the north and then that will guide you on time management...
many like the hill tribes but we have found them too commercial ...i will add that we have only visited those that are readily accessible to normal roads...i guess there are those that are very remote and perhaps they are more interesting and less commercialized...

a 3 day stop in LP might be a nice addtion to your trip...

in any case you will be delighted with the costs you encounter after the costs you are used to in UK...