Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Quick summary: Hua Hin/Chumphon/Baan Bophut Samui

Jul 6th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

I bow in humble embarresment to Bob and karen for their superb report, here is my pathetic one on 6 days down the coast, mix of work and relax.
Quick 4.5 hours drive Jomtien to Hua Hin, 2 nights, then 3 hours down to Chumphon, my wife went on the Lomprayah Catamaran to Samui ( 2 stops, Koh tao and Koh Phangan ), though great fun for travelers on the return she took the boat to Surat Thani and I picked her up from there, just over 2 hours south. We took the suggestion and she stayed at Baan Bophut which came up to the previous report, lovely room, she had called to tell them her arrival and she was collected, no charge! Lovely room through she said no good for kids and Peace Resort was better in that respect. On our way back 1 night in Hua Hin again and slow busy drive home after looking at some houses there.

Beds for the night:
Koh Samui ( just the wife there on business): Baan Bophut B 1,500 ( USD 36 ) a night, upgrade free to Seaview. Gives it a 3-star Boutique rating. Nice breakfast.

Chumphon: Chumphon Cabana B 1,550 ( USD 37 ) for own Bungalow, 2-star rating, have stayed before, cheap, friendly and very sensible meal prices, most dishes in the B 50-90 range. This is right on the beach, very natural, only a few other guests, one night staff cooked Lobster and Fish BBQ style on the beach, we sat on the beach with lots of beers and Thai music on a player, great simple fun! I was on my own for 2 nights so spent time reading and lazing, local Internet cafe 'High Speed' was about 20-22 kps at best!

Hua Hin: Ocean Breeze B 1,300 ( USD 31 ), have stayed before, superb place! Would normaly be 2-star boutique B & B but based on stylish/trendy service and lots of freebies I'll say 3-star plus. Only 6 rooms but all full, US and NZ guests. Love the indoor pool.

So we stuck within our normal budget of B 1,500 ( USD 36 ) and stayed well. Booked all with Huahin.20m as usual.

Jul 6th, 2005, 06:14 PM

james you are so reserved in your comments, but as usual there are right to the point...thank you
Jul 7th, 2005, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Sheer laziness on my part!

Although I have not been and my wife didn't stay she was doing some business with fabrics for the Colto Maltese on Samui, drapes and things, now this place is well known but was off my brain-cells for ages, and it has recalled the place, it really is quite 'extraordinary' place to stay, run by a very flambouyant Frenchman. The rooms/suites are very large and also very 'flambouyant' in style, totally opposite of you normal place, but this could really appeal to Fodorites who like something a little 'different'.
I guess it shows their care paying so much for just the right fabric for their drapes and cushions, no expense spared for the 'right' fabric, great attention to doing it right.

Not really family/kids place for us but I think it could well be very appealing indeed to those who enjoy something with a little 'joie de vivre' about it! From about USD 45 to 150

http://www.r24.org/phuket-luxury-hot...orto/pictures/

Jul 7th, 2005, 12:24 PM

James, I've tentatively booked Baan Bophut for three nights in August...would you recommend the place? How was the beach and location? Thanks!
Jul 7th, 2005, 06:12 PM

I'm staying at Baan Bophut now and using their free WiFi from my 2nd floor room. The beach here is much wider here than most other places in the village, is very clean and I'm watching the maintenance guy rake it now. The water quality is good and it's OK for swimming when the tide is not at it's lowest, as it is now, in the early morning. But in common with many other Samui beaches, while the water is clean, it's not very clear.

The tide is way out, revealing the mixture of sand and rock of the sea floor. The unusually low tide has brought out many of the local families to tease little squid, shellfish and crabs out of the rocks and small pools left behind by the tide.

My room is fine: simple and stylish with black silk blinds, backed by proper black-out fabric and trimmed with a vibrant blue border. The shower is powerful and not enclosed in a tub or shower tray.The rooms and in fact, the whole small resort is spotless.

The inclusive breafast consists of tropical fruits, yogourt, cereals and croissants with butter and preserves. It's a small extra charge for eggs or a fried breakfast.

Baan Bophut is located toward the eastern end of Bophut beach road, within 130m of the pier. It's a few minutes walk to the centre of the village.

The manager, Mod, is very helpful and the staff all seem polite and efficient, although the room cleaners, don't understand much English. Laundry is through the hotel or, next door at B30/kg.

I'm here for a week on a mixture of leisure and business, so give me a shout if you need up-to-date-info.
Jul 8th, 2005, 09:35 PM

Thanks JamesA, and also johnbey for comments. Helps to make informed choices! I particularly like your apology to Bob! You probably don't have the time to kill that he does! Have fun!
Jul 9th, 2005, 08:15 AM

Thanks for the info! it will be useful for my trip next year!

I looked up a map of Chumphon. I haven't read anything about it in my guide books. Can anyone tell me about the area? The cabanas look nice but I am afraid it may be a tad too quiet for us.

We are early 40's and although we don't want a big partying crowd we enjoy meeting other travelers and having a few cold ones.
Jul 10th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Here's another review from last week for Baan Bophut, this is not from a Fodorite so keeps a balance but bears out what Johnbey, my wife and other have said:

http://www.res24.com/review/posts.ht...huahin.20m.com

Euro: re Chumphon

Chumphon is one of those places of many that rarely get a mention as they are well off the normal tourist trail. It is very very quiet and remote, no shopping, only local places to eat, only drinking is on table around local shops or eateries. Nearest big town is 3 hours away, Chumphon town gets a flow of travellers as it's where you get the boats and high-speed Catamaran to Koh Tao Island.

Often people ask about really quiet out of the way places, Chumphon Cabana and the few resorts north of there at Bang Saphan are such, very very remote but OK for accommodation. Many who ask for 'remote' often don't mean it!

It is not a place I would suggest for a 2 week stay, what I would suggest it for is for those who want to beach hop along the coast perhaps on their way to or from Koh Tao or Koh Samui. For those who like to see smaller places where as much of local Thai life continues. The 'beach hop' route south of Bangkok goes something like this:

Bangkok to Hua Hin/Khao Takiab: 3 hrs

Hua Hin area to Pranburi/Dolphin Bay: 30 to 40 minutes ( National Park, birdwatching, wetslands, marshes, caves etc )

Dolphin Bay to Bang Saphan/Koh Talu(snorkeling) : 1 hr 30

Bang Saphan to Chumphon: 40 mins

Chumphon to Koh Tao on Catamaran: 1 hr 30, thencontinues to Koh Phangan and onwards short hop to Koh Samui.

Pranburi has places like Evason, Evason Hideaway, Aleenta, Purimuntra resorts, all top class. Dolphin Bay is relaxed, Dolphin Bay is popular, around USD 25-40, on the small offshore Island of Koh Talu ( 10 mins boat from Bang Saphan ) the resort is about USD 40-50, small island, just the resort and a few houses.

Although these areas are quiet the dual highway and rail track that runs down the coast make 'beach hoping' easy and gives a variety away from main tourist trails. No discos, no raves, but lobster on the beach by firelight with endless beers can make for a memorable evening!

Jul 10th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Euro, I know it's not so easy to find info on these places, but here lots of photos which should give you a nice ideas of these places, again, I emphasise, no Samui/Phuket shopping, nightlife, these are 'raw' but they also get busy with travellers who 'seek out' such places.

Chumphon Cabana photos:
http://www.r24.org/huahin.20m.com/ch...bana/pictures/

Koh Talu Island Resort:
http://www.r24.org/huahin.20m.com/hu...land/pictures/

Dolphin Bay Resort photos and map( have stayed a while back ):
http://www.r24.org/huahin.20m.com/hu...nbay/pictures/

Evason Hideaway Pool Villas(lux) at Pranburi:
http://www.r24.org/huahin.20m.com/hu...away/pictures/

There is also a 'normal' Evason there from about USD 85!

Suan Bankrut at Ban Saphan Beach near Koh Talu, this is beach huts and bungalows from about USD 30:
http://www.r24.org/huahin.20m.com/th...krut/pictures/

I think you will see some nice places to stop along that coast. if you check a map and go down from Hua hin towards the Koh Tao and Koh Samui area you will see the distances aren't that much, each resort would sort a car and driver between each place, rough ballpark from USD say 12-30 depending on distance.
Jul 11th, 2005, 04:39 AM

James! After Bangkok and Chiang Rai I think you have mapped our the rest of our trip! LOL.

Great info! Baan Bophut is already on my list of places to stay. It looks perfect!

I will check out the other links you have provided as well.

Thanks for the detailed info!

Cheers!

Tamara
Jul 11th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

If you plan to stop in Hua hin the Ocean Breeze is excellent

www.huahinwhatson.com/oceanbreeze.html
Jul 16th, 2005, 02:09 AM

FYI Baan Bophut Hotel has their own web site here: http://www.baanbophut.com
Oct 9th, 2005, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

ttt for calcrimson as this gives some information about those places along the coast between Hua Hin and Krabi. Just came back from 5 nights along same coast and will update on some other places ooon.