Reload this Page >

Question for Kathie & other Seattle folks

Old Jul 14th, 2006, 09:14 AM
jeh
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - Thanks to you and a lot of other Fodorites, my husband and I have had 2 very enjoyable trips to Thailand. We also like to shop for crafts while we're traveling which comes to the point of this post. We're going to be in Seattle for a few days next week and are interested in finding some nice Asian craft and silk stores, including finding some mudmee silk. Any suggestions?

Kathie - I did check the Seattle site to see if you respond on that forum and didn't find your name recently. I hope this isn't too inapropriate but I found your suggestions for craft shopping in Thailand and Vietnam very helpful.

Thanks.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 10:34 AM

You're right, I don't manage to get to that forum often. I like to hang out here in Asia.

You know, there are lots of crafts stores in Seattle, but I rarely buy anything here, as I always buy on my Asian trips. I don't have any suggestions off the top of my head, but I'll think about it and post if I think of any suggestions.

Glad you enjoyed my shopping suggestions in Thailand!
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 10:40 AM

Maybe get an umbrella there!
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 10:43 AM

an "oriental" umbrella, bill, as in the big O
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 10:52 AM

Or you can always do the Salmon thing!
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 11:08 AM

I'd start in the international district. I'm not sure the fabrics here are anything spectacular (Vancouver BC would have more selection). But I did have my cheong sam (chinese dress for wedding) made at a little shop on Jackson Street (at the intersection of Maynard).

Uwajimaya is a Japanese grocery and knick-knacks store. They carry many ceramics and decorative housewares. I believe their old site (blue tile roof building directly to the north of the current building) houses an Asian imports store. Haven't been in, so don't know what they carry.

Also, not sure of your exact dates of travel, but July 28-30 is the Bellevue Arts and Crafts fair. It's a huge fair of local artists. Bellevue is on the eastside of Lake Washington from Seattle proper, a 10 minute drive w/o traffic.

If you're not in town then, Pike Place Market is full of booths from local artisans/vendors. Not necessarily Asian crafts, but not necessarily not Asian. Did that make sense at all?

Honestly though, if you're looking for Asian arts and crafts, I can't imagine that you'll find much in Seattle that can compare.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 03:53 PM

lovesadventure has some good ideas. Although the description of Bellevue being 10 mintes away without traffic gave me a chuckle!

The international district is a good idea, though you will find prices much higher (of course) than Asia and the selection to be limited. Uwajimaya is fun just to look. We often buy hard to find fruits and veggies there as well as spices and sauces we can't find elsewhere. Eileen's of China moved in to the old Uwajimaya building. They have an interesting assortment of mostly Chinese items. If you are interested in anything, bargain hard. I bought a 4 foot tall marble Quan Yin there years ago for my garden.

There are many craft stalls at the Pike Place Market, though the crafts won't be Asian. Sometimes some of the Hmong women bring in their embroidery. The Market is something you should experience in any case.

The Bellevue Arts and Crafts Fair has lovely (very high end) crafts if you are in town then. It's always packed with people. I have to admit that I haven't been there for years. I get to Bangkok more often than I get to Bellevue!
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 03:56 PM

Have a great time in Seattle. Let me know if you need restaurant recommendations.

Oh, and repeat after me "It rained the whole time we were there."
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 04:31 PM

Kathie, my husband commutes Bellevue to downtown Seattle daily. If traffic is heavy, it takes him 17 minutes (that's the longest he's timed in the past 2 years). And that's on 520. But he does drive pretty fast

And I am jealous that you get to Asia more often than the other side of the pond.

Jeh, there are more fodorites that might be be able to advise on Asian crafts in Seattle on the US board.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 04:46 PM

Oh, Lovesadventure, I see, he has a reverse commute. That makes it much easier.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 06:30 PM
jeh
Original Poster

Hi Kathie and lovesadventure. Thanks for the information. We have been to Pike Place Market and love it - I wish I could take the entire flower market home. I didn't know about the international market but will take a look. We'll be in town July 22-25 so unfortunately will miss the Bellevue Craft Fair.

Would appreciate any ideas for restaurants. We have been to Etta's and really like it so hopefully we won't be disappointed. But for the other 2 nights, we're pretty open.

Now about the rain - it's always been beautiful when we've visited (usually summer or fall) . But we will bring umbrellas!

jeh
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 08:07 PM

Preferences for types of restaurants?

By the way, as a charter member of the "Lesser Seattleites" I require all visitors to say "It rained the whole time we were there."

By the way, a piece of trivia: At the 1962 Wold's Fair here in Seattle, they had guides for visiting dignitaries. Pat of what they were taught to say was "The weather is lovely today, but it really rains all the time here." The idea was to discourage too many people from moving to Seattle. Obviously, it hasn't worked. Nonetheless, we still try to educate visitors about what to say to the people back home.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 02:58 PM
jeh
Original Poster

Hi Kathie - I know what you mean about discouraging people to move to an area. I've lived in Bend, OR for the past 6 years - maybe we need bumper stickers with the saying that a former governor coined - "You're welcome to visit but please don't stay."

Anyway, back to restaurants - I think we would like to do some ethnic restaurants - we really don't have many in this area. But we're flexible - any restaurants you particularly like?

Thanks - jeh
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 04:00 PM

Perhaps my favorite ethnic restaurant is Kabul. It's in the Wallingford area. By the way, they have a very low corkage fee, $10, so I often bring a bottle of something from my cellar.

I feel compelled to give you a Thai restaurant recommendation. I used to list Typhoon (located just below the Market) as my fave, but the service has been bad the last two times I was there. I like Orrapin, located atop Queen Anne Hill, but there are zillions of Thai places to try.

I've never had very good luck at Etta's. I prefer Flying Fish for excellent and inventive seafood. Craving oysters? try Shuckers. We often make a meal of their house smoked oysters and oysters Rockefeller with a bottle of Champagne.

A different (and pricier) ethnic restaurant is Brasa, a restaurant with Portuguese food as well as more traditional fare.

There are lots of opptions for Chinese food in the International District. There is an excellent Vietnamese place on First Hill called Lemongrass.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 03:16 PM
jeh
Original Poster

Thanks Kathie for all your help. Clearly, not enough days in Seattle

jeh
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 03:47 PM

Enjoy your time in Seattle!
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 08:47 AM

My vote for best Thai in Seattle (area) is Chantanee in Bellevue. Kathie, I'd be interested in what you think of the restaurant, so if you ever make it over (practically to Montana) let me know.

I also like Djan, which is off of 45th, just west of I-5. And Bambuza which is right near the Paramount Theater downtown.

The international district has Seven Stars or House of Hong for some good dim sum (although the cleanliness of the ID restaurants sometimes leaves something to be desired). Our favorite Hong Kong cafe style place down there is Hing Loon.

I've never been much of Tom Douglas fan , but have had better luck/ordering at both the Dahlia Lounge and Lola than Etta. I love the Waterfront Grill on Pier 70. It's more special occasion dining but the food and service has always been impeccable. They're happy hour is terrific, and you can sit out on the end of the pier with spectacular sunset view.

I love to eat, so let me know if there's any more food input I can help provide!

Oh, and the ID isn't really a market. There are stores and restaurants, but it's very much a city environment rather than a marketplace.

Enjoy your stay!
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:31 PM
jeh
Original Poster

Thanks lovesadventure - it's clear we are going to be eating our way through Seattle.