question for JamesA

Search

question for JamesA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 10:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question for JamesA

Used your suggestions for others and have tentative reservations at both Old Phuket Hotel and Woraburi Phuket Resort for 5 nights end of November. Have to make a choice before I lose them.

We're leaning towards Old Phuket Hotel because the rooms look more private, not looking across the pool at someone else's balcony, and we like the pool location. But you mentioned the Woraburi is on the beach and the Old Phuket Hotel isn't, and we do want to use the beach sometimes. Where would you sit if you go to the beach from OPH? Do they have chairs, etc. down there or do you have to rent chairs, lounges, etc. from another hotel?

Any suggestions for restaurants within walking distance or close by?

Got our reservation at Peace Resort for 5 nights and Centre Point Silom for our last 2 nights. This board has been so much help.

Had the same problems another writer did trying to contact Bangkok air in the U.S.for their 3 ticket special. The telephone numbers didn't work. Think I have given up. I'm running out of time.

I can book Bangkok air on the web for BKK to Samui and Samui to Phuket. Do you have any suggestions for which company to use to fly back from Phuket to BKK?

Thanks again

Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 01:42 AM

Both are across the road from the beach, so you walk out and across the beach raod and then across grass onto the wide beach.
The Wora Buri promotes itself as a higher class place than the Old Phuket so you have to weigh that up as a difference, depends on the rate, and whether you have gone for a jacuzzi place at the Old Phuket.
The pool at the Wora Buri is in the middle I believe between the room blocks, at the Old Phuket it's on the roof. The Wora Bura has a place you can sit on the main beach road for drinks/food but you don't need to stay there for that.
is there a price difference?

From Phuket to Bangkok you have a choice of 3 budget airlines, I rate Nok Air best, then Thai Air Asia and then One-2-Go.

Full service are bangkok Airways ( narrow body single aisle Boeing 717's ) and Thai ( all wide body 747-400, 777, Airbus 330 or 300 ). if you are on a tight budget go for the budget carriers but remember 15 kgs ( 30 pounds ) baggage allowance which they are rigid on, in my honest optionion I would go with Thai, however, if you are flying bangkok Airways from BKK to Samui, then to Phuket, then their 3 sector Discovery Pass Fare would suit you as you would be doing 3 sectors, so look into that on their website as I am sure it will save you a lot doing it all with bangkok Airways.

Beach chair loungers you rent 'on the beach', I can't tell you exact current price as Phuket prices jump up all the time, but I think it used to be B 100 for the day but I would not be surprised if that has jumped to B 150 ( USD1 = B 40 )
In that whole beach stretch there are 'no' hotels on the beach at all, just a very long and wide stretch of beach.

Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 03:24 AM

Tried to have another think about this, tricky, both good in particlar ways:

OP does well with rooftop pool
If yuo went for the jacuzzi you need to think how much that appeals to you

I think the rooms themselves at Wora Bura would be better than the OP but as you say everything paces eachother around the pool area.

I think the beach-road eats/drinks is nice atmosphere at the Wora Bura for a drink at sunset but again you don't need to be a guest to enjoy that, restaurants/bars don't come into the scenario as anyone can enjoy those.

I think the end result is that it comes down to the room and the pool, at the OP you 'do' get the view of the beach one way and the mountain view the other, so that is an overall plus however nice the WB pool is.

I doubt you will sepnd much time in your room except to sleep, both have TVs etc, but then 'if' ( and a big if ) you went for the jacuzzi room at the OP that certainly adds a bit of vacation glamour to be able to sit in the jacuzzi with a nice glass of wine or bubbly.

I think the decision comes to the pool and whether you went for the jacuzzi room or not, if they are the same price close call, if one is much cheaper than the other I would go on that deciding factor, I hope you don't say they are the same price !!
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 07:40 AM

granny---just call 800 info for the correct # for bkk air and you will be fine....
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 10:21 PM
Original Poster

We decided on Old Phuket Hotel. We just liked the looks of the hotel and pool. Took only a day to decide, but Sawadee got back to us and said delux rooms were not available, so I reserved the spa delux. It turns out to be slightly more than the Woraburi, so hope we're happy with this choice.

Thanks Bob, got the Bangkok Air number from a poster here.

Finally got through to Bangkok Air and made reservations for our three flights. To get their special though, I have to get a cashier's check and mail out one day mail. Hope we get the tickets back before we leave on the 5th.

Now that our reservations are made, I can finally look forward to our trip.

Old Oct 24th, 2005, 07:05 AM

you can use a money order as well from a convenience store...