Search

Question: base for HoiAn, Hue & Danag area

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question: base for HoiAn, Hue & Danag area

Hello again,
We're in the final days of planning for our trip to VN in mid-March. We have 2 weeks. Rather than move every 2 days, we were thinking of spending 5 or 6 days in the HoiAn, Hue, Danang area. We would stay at one place and do day-trips (or maybe one overnight trip).

We are a family of 4 who'd like to swim, bicycle, try a cooking school, take in some culture and eat ... Perhaps adding in Hue is too much? Our children are 11 & 13.

Any advice on a good base place to stay would be very welcome. We are lucky to have a reasonably comfortable budget.

dcm
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 01:52 PM

The problem isn't that they're far apart (as the crow flies), the problem is it takes awhile to get between Hue and HoiAn by car because you have to go over the mountains.

Danang is a biggish and not particularly interesting or attractive city -- I would fly into or out of Danang for HoiAn, but i wouldn't spend my time there otherwise.

I'd spend 3-4 nights in HoiAn (charming town, great beaches, great restaurants, countryside tours, etc.), and if you're interested in more history, at least an overnight in Hue (sightseeing parts of the two days surrounding the one night). Hue was very very interesting -- unlike Hanoi, it's not someplace you go because it's such a beautiful place or a place 'to be', but it does have many fascinating sights to see.
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 02:50 PM

hanoi and hoi an were my favorites in vn, but they are a flight apart.... vn air is reasonable however... hanoi might be too much city for the kids
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 12:16 AM

I totally agree with sf's comments re Danang. It is not a particularly inspiring place to stay but it is a convenient transit point for hue and Hoi An if flying from elswhere in the country. We spent one night there before getting the train to Hue. The train journey is rated as one of the most spectacular in the world. It takes around 4 hours as it winds through the Marble Mountains and along China Beach. A cheap way to travel and a great adventure for the kids.

If you prefer to drive then you have two choices. Through the tunnel (the quickest) or over the Hai Van pass which has great views (weather permitting.

I think the children might prefer Hoi An which is very quaint and has a lot to see in a small area. There is also easy access to the beach and some great cycle rides out into the countryside. It is very easy to arrange bike hire in the town. It is a small place and you could see most of the sights in a couple of days if you wish. It is however overun with other tourist (for good reason!)

I prefer Hue which is much bigger and, argaubly is more interesting from an historical perspective and has more to see. The citadel and tombs are fascinating and again, bicycles are agreat way to get around. Hue also has some of the best food in Vietnam.
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 01:20 AM

You can spend 4- 5 days on travelling in Hue and Hoian. 2 days in Hue and 2-3 days in Hoian.
Hue is Vietnam’s last feudal capital, therefore, this is very suitable place for your discovering of culture. Here you can visit the citadel, royal tomb, having boat trip in Perfume River and visit Thien Mu Pagoda.
From Hue to Hoian, you can take the open bus to see beautiful scenic road.
In Hoian, you can ride bicycle, join a cooking class or swim in Cua Dai Beach.

About the hotel, some suggestions with different hotel class depending on your budget :
In Hue : Festival, Huong Giang and La Residence
In Hoian : Lotus, Hoian Riverside and Golden Sand Resort

Wish you a nice trip
TrangNguyenHuyen-Jewel
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 06:07 AM

IF YOU WANT TO HAVE CLOTHES COPIED, THE BEST TAYLORS ARE AT YALY. I HAVE TRIED EVERY SHOP, BUT THEY DO THE BEST JOB! YOU NEED TO GO BACK SOMETIMES 2 OR 3 TIMES FOR FITTINGS SO I WOULD ALLOW 4-5 DAYS IN THE CHARMING CITY! EAT AT A PLACE CALLED 'FISH N CHIPS N STUFF' A TERRIBLE NAME FOR AN AMAZING LITTLE PLACE WITH THE TASTIEST FOOD IN TOWN! I ALSO HAVE SHOES MADE HERE! SOME OF THE EXTRA FABRIC FROM THE BLOUSES I HAVE MADE I TAKE TO THE SHOE AREA NEAR THE MAIN MARKET. THE ONLY COUNTRY THAT USES DOLLARS & THE EXCHANGE RATE IS VERY GOOD!! GO!
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 06:49 AM

No need to shout, Rose. And the currency in VN is the dong, not the dollar.
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 09:45 AM

I loved Hoi An. It was so relaxing and just the thing for the middle of our trip. Hue was interesting for a day. Danang didn't seem like much. In Hoi An, we stayed outside of the main town at the Hoi An Beach Resort and LOVED it. The shuttle back and forth was very convenient, and being able to walk across the street to the beach was great. If you stay there, the best rooms are the Riverside Villas since the place is right on the river and across the street from the beach.

I got some great clothes made at Blue. Yaly seemed a bit more upscale. But I think the key is who does your design and fitting. I love the dresses I had made at Blue and would highly recommend it to anyone.