4-5 day Vietnam trip

Search

4-5 day Vietnam trip

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2019, 03:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4-5 day Vietnam trip

Hello, we are family of 3 including my 10 year daughter. We are based in SG. Looking to do a 4-5 day trip to Vietnam in the first half of April.

Need some inputs on the itinerary to include:
- Should we keep the trip to just Hanoi and Halong Bay?
- The other two locations we have heard about are Danang and Hoi An. Should we try adding this section in? SIN - Hanoi (incl Halong Bay) - Da Nang - SIN? Since we are not too far away, we can do a second trip to the Danang/Hoi An area too
- For either of the options, what would be a good itinerary? From what I read, Halong Bay seems to be a 2 day 1 night cruise experience. Is there a better way to experience the area?

Thanks
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 06:39 AM

Hanoi and Ha Long, or preferably the quieter Bai Tu Long Bay would be doable, just. It is a journey of several hours from Hanoi (although the new road has apparently reduced the time somewhat, how much, I am not sure but itbused to take at least 4 hours).

Basically most tours seem to leave Hanoi around 8-9 to meet the boat departure and have two half days of sailing before returning to the dock around midday for arrival back in Hanoi in te late pm.

Most people would want two nights there but with just 4-5 days, that would take a huge chunk out of your time in Hanoi.

If your primary concern is to keep,your daughter happy, I would consider flying into Da Nang and going directly to Hoi An where even with 4-5 days you could have a mixture of quaint town, beach and countryside. Maybe even fit in a trip to te Marble Mountains on the way to or from Da Nang. I would forget about Danang itself as there is little of interest there, unless your really like mile after mile of monstrous hotel developments.

My Son is a nice half day trip, as is a bike ride out to the beach through the countryside.

Some photos etc. Of our time in Hoi An on our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/category/vietnam/

I suppose you could split your time in Hoi An between the beach and town but to spare yourself the agonies of packing and unpacking, I would choose a nice hotel in or close to, the old town with a swimming pool.
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 06:06 PM

Hanoi, Halong Bay, Hoi An Ancient Town and Danang City are great places to travel when coming to Vietnam. I think you should not ignore these locations
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 11:04 AM

If you have 4 -5 days in Vietnam, I suggest you stick to 1 area as travelling in Vietnam is slow and takes up a big chunk of time. If you are going to be in Hanoi, you can do a trip to Ninh Binh which is 3 hours away by car, train or bus. You can do a Trang an boat ride, hike up Hang mua mountain for a panoramic view and visit Bich Dong Temple. Cycling is a good way to explore the countryside and villages as the roads are flat and has low traffic. Taxi is a cheap alternative. I stayed in Ninh Binh for 3 days and loved it. More details and photos on https://bigsmallmoment.wordpress.com
Halong Bay is 4-5 hours away from Hanoi and most people do a 2D/1N cruise. I did not go there so can't say much about the place.
Since you are planning to go back to Vietnam again, then you can do the Central area.
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 06:05 AM

Da Nang and Hoi An ancient town are two great tourist destinations when you come to central Vietnam. You will be wrong to ignore these two locations. I think this article will help you https://exploreonevietnam.com/things...oi-an-vietnam/
Old Feb 21st, 2019, 03:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your inputs. We are definitely going to be doing Hanoi + Halong Bay as one trip and Danang and Hoi An as another trip. Don't want to rush a 4-5 day holiday with two legs.

It is now with my wife and daughter to read up and decide which of these we are doing in April

tuivodanh, thanks for the Hoi An link. Very useful.

Jenny, you have some fun trips documented there

Crellston, I am betting the choice is going to be Danang and Hoi An for this trip.
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 04:52 AM

Hanoi, Halong Bay and maybe Ninh Binh fit in 5 days (Halong Bay private transfer to Ninh Binh).