Prasart Museum Bangkok

Search

Prasart Museum Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prasart Museum Bangkok

has anyone been to the prasart estate? do you take a car and have it wait for you or just how have you done this trip?

is it open every day or just on weekends...i have seen differing reports..

is it worth the time to go there?

any imput would be appreciated..

how do you compare it to the jim thompson house?

thanks
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 05:31 AM

I was there in December and I LOVED it. Absolutely was worth the visit. You need to call ahead and make an appointment but that can be done when you get to bangkok. It is in the middle of nowhere (although only about a 25 minute drive) so you will definitely need a car and driver and have them wait. We were there almost three hours.

It is very different from Jim Thompson. First, the gardens are gorgeous. Also, rather than it being one home, Mr. Prasart has created a compound of different buildings reflecting different aspects of asian architecture to house wonderful antiques. You go around with a docent but not on a "tour" -- we were the only ones he took and he was wonderful. Them, we spent about 30 minutes having coffee with Mr. Prasart himself.

It is absolutely worth the trip. It will be a highlight.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 06:59 AM

One note I need to add since I know you have used Ratt. She will not take you there. Long story. She asked the docent if she could take a cutting from the garden. He said yes. mr. Prasart didn't know she had asked the docent and saw her with the cutting and was not happy. He said he always gives cuttings but wants people to ask firt. It became a big to do. Eventually resolved but Ratt was very upset by it and I am pretty sure she will not want to return.

There may have been more to it than that since they were talking in Thai but that's the story we got from both Ratt and Mr. prasart.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

i now remember that you said there was a problem with ratt...this exlains it...i will use the other bkk driver for this day then...

gloria...do you think that you can go there any day of the week??

when you called with whom did you speak? a secretary, the butler, or who?? how much ahead of time did you call? thanks...
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 10:40 AM

I answered this before but it's not showing up for some reason unless I hit post reply so I'll try again. Excuse me if it now appears twice.
I don't think it is open every day, but they keep changing that. Actually Ratt is the one who called for us but I think she did it a couple of days before we went. I'm sure the marriott concierge desk can take care of it for you. I had read that you needed to make an appointment long in advance but that seems to be true only if you are a group.

Old Feb 24th, 2005, 04:55 PM

I've always wanted to get to the Prasart, but I somehow run out of time. On one of my early trips to Bangkok, we tried to go but it was closed for the whole week. I'll be interested in your experience.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

kathie---why don't you come with us? i will let you know...i may write to him....
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 02:19 AM

There's a very good chance that after Bob goes here, there will be no more visitors allowed. If Ratt had a problem with a cutting, Bob's usual behaviour will set off an international incident. At least we'll have Gloria's description.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 05:02 AM

LOL!!

Mr. Prasart is an interesting man. He made his money as a real estate developer but he must have come from some money as he said he started collecting at the age of 12. He's a really nice looking, very outgoing man in his 50s or early 60s. He has a one room house on the grounds where he supposedly lives very simpley although I have to assume there's a mansion somewhere else. His goal is to keep the thai traditional crafts alive so he has trained and hired a lot of people to continue to do the old crafts. He himself has done some bencharong but his real passion is gardening. No children and I don't think he's ever been married. He seems to love to tell his story and his English is perfect. Our docent was a man who had lived in the village. Mr. Prasart knew his parents and him as a child and I think educated him and taught him about art etc so now he's a docent. His English is excellent and he is very knowledgeable about the collection which includes a lot of Chinese and Cambodian objects.

I think you'll have a good time. It was a very different experience from many others in Bangkok. I'd wanted to go for years and am sorry I waited so long.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

if i tell him i am from cambridge there will be no problem...everyone expects erratic bahavior from those pinkos....

i expect we won't be shown the crown jewels...
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

any additional comments?? anyone??