how best to visit the Prasart Museum in Bangkok

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2019, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We unexpectedly are getting to go back to Bangkok next week. We have never visited the Prasart Museum so I think that we should be sure to do so. Before I attempt to make arrangements, may I ask for recommendations? How did you arrange for your driver? Are there better/ less better days of the week to go? Are there any guides who specialize in that collection? Any thoughts welcome.

We have seen the major Bangkok sights on 4 previous visits, but are looking to gain a deeper appreciation. I am not skilled at shopping...looking for cultural explorations, great meals, and some R&R.
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 07:59 AM

First, you need to make a reservation. Since they take a limited number of reservations and they provide a guide, you don't need to worry about which days have more or fewer visitors, nor do you need to engage your own guide. I'd ask your hotel to arrange a taxi to Prasart.

It's really a stunning collection - i think you will enjoy it!
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Kathie. I don't see a way to write to the Prasart online to request an appointment, so I will hope that by asking our BKK hotel to contact the museum on the first day we arrive later this week, we will hope to find an opening to make a booking.

We have never yet gone beyond the list of obvious attractions in Bangkok so I am eager to both go to the Prasart and make other discoveries that aren't on everyone's top 10 list. My idea of happiness includes visiting Angkor Wat day after day after day on our visit there years ago, and the summer that we spent in Kyoto it was heavenly to drift in and out of many temples and shrines. I think that you said one time that every time you go to Bangkok, you find another wat to visit. Is there an authoritative source of wat listings or do you use deeper research skills to identify new wats to visit on each of your trips?

Thank you!
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 08:23 AM

I remember that we called the Prasart to make reservations. I'm sure your hotel could do it for you.

Ah, fellow temple fanatics - I live it! I do not know of a comprehensive list of the wats in Bangkok. I'm sure you must have a copy of an old Nancy Chandler guide and map - she lists many wats. Often, we run across a new wat when I'm reading about something else and I make a note of it.

Enjoy your time in Bangkok - it has been way too long since we were last there!