6 days in Bangkok- advice on itinerary?

Feb 25th, 2016, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

6 days in Bangkok- advice on itinerary?

Hi all,
You've been so helpful with my many questions, but I'd like your feedback on my proposed itinerary for Bangkok. Maybe there are things that should be shuffled around because while it looks doable on a map, it may not be on the ground I plan on staying at the Shangri-La, checking in Saturday (probably mid-day, flying in from SIN) and flying out the following Saturday around 2am.

Day0: Arrive, check in. Possibly head to JJ market solo in the late afternoon and/or Jim Thomson Silk Outlet-- planning on buying enough to make curtains for a number of rooms.

Day 1: JJ market/possibly do a shopping 'tour' with a guide. (I did a 'shopping tour' in Delhi, and found it to be super helpful and it'll be nice to have someone along for the day) I have my Mom & Fiance sending me with jackets they'd like duplicates made of in tailor shops. Hoping that someone with me who speaks Thai will help! Also, I think I'll need help finding an alms bowl. Fiance is currently renovating our new house and I have the perfect spot for one, just need one to fill it!

Sorry, back on track:
Day 2: Grand Palace & Wat Po in the morning, Blue Elephant cooking class in the afternoon

Day 3: Cooking with Poo in the morning (yes, two cooking classes back to back , but just so happens that the two menus I like at both places are during these time frames!) Afternoon by the pool

Day 4ack to the Grand Palace- April 6th is the one day the Royal Pantheon is open, so thought it may be worth while to go back just for this- quicker visit. Maybe not? Then to the Jim Thompson House. Then MBK for lunch/shopping.

Day 5: National Museum & Wat Arun in the morning. Lunch in Chinatown/Wat Tramit and pool time

Day 6: Free morning, check out & leave bags at hotel, Sompong cooking school from 2:30-6:30. Grab my bags, and head to the airport

Anything you'd move around? Add? Also open to suggestions on dinner places. I was planning on going to Naam one night, but Kathie's report on the almost-inedible-hot food made me less inclined to do so. Currently planning on one night at Ciao at MO, because it's hard to get edible Italian food in Texas!
Feb 25th, 2016, 07:08 PM

My favorite activity in Bangkok was the Red Cross Snake Farm. They give a wonderful seminar every day, and there is also interesting "zoo." My older son had visited the year prior to my visit, and I went reluctantly, but I found it to be truly fascinating. I learned so much about venom at the seminar, and that all snakes are not created equal. At the end of the seminar, visitors can put a snake around their neck for a photo op.
Feb 26th, 2016, 02:25 AM

I would suggest Bangkok Food Tours one evening for their Chinatown tour. We've been to Bangkok many times and this was one of our favorite activities.
Feb 26th, 2016, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

CaliforniaLady- I really enjoy going on tours- factories, farms, etc- but I don't know that I'd be comfortable being around snakes (on purpose!) That does sound really interesting though, I will have to look into that more-- is there a barrier between you and the snakes? I think I saw 'An Idiot Abroad' episode with a snake farm in Thailand and the snakes were just out! Eeep!

FromDC- I will look into that I'll try to do it one of my first nights, to help get a feel of Chinatown - mostly to see if I could handle it on my own later in the week
Feb 26th, 2016, 05:53 AM

don't go to JJ on day 0.. needs full energy to do so, imo.

soi 93 sukhumvit for JT outlet. men on ground floor and floor 3?? are sooo very helpful.

JJ is not the place for custom tailoring, imo. there are tailor shops in Shangri la you might try and also along the street leading in to the hotel. beware of low prices and quick turn around--overnight.

there is an alley where you can buy alms, "monk" bowls, but I forget where it is--maybe near grand palace---look on line or in guide books..

Jim Thompson House is the place to have lunch... fab restaurant... make sure to have the pomelo salad--best in bkk.

not sure royal pantheon is worth a return visit... as I remember it was a largely empty building..

national museum disappoints most people... prasart museum is fab, but requires a reservation and a full half day plus a car and driver to take you there and back as it is 30 minutes outside of town.

restaurants

le beulieu for fixed price lunch
Feb 26th, 2016, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks rhkkmk! I should have been more clear, I wasn't planning on having anything tailored at JJ But good to know I should give it it's own day-I'll just be flying in from SIN, so should be all set by Sunday AM!

Prasart Museum- Kathie mentioned this to me, however I wasn't sure where I could fit it into the schedule. I'll have to look into whether or not skipping NM would give me time to do so.

Good to know about the bowls, I've tried looking them up, but a lot of guide books/articles have said 'they're terribly hard to find unless you know where you're going!' ha!

Really appreciate the Pantheon tip, I haven't been able to find much about it other than it's closed most of the year. Probably best I skip it, since I have heard the GP is packed that day!
Feb 26th, 2016, 09:00 AM

The monks bowl village is indeed hard to find. It took us quite a while. Worth it though! It is not too far from the Giant Swing which is in most guidebooks. This article on Travelfishtravelfish has some reasonably easy to follow directions.

http://www.travelfish.org/sight_prof...k/bangkok/1359

PS it is not really a village, more a couple of streets
Feb 26th, 2016, 09:52 AM

Hi Needmore,

Regarding the Red Cross Snake Farm, the snakes in the "zoo" are encased in glass, and for the show, you could just sit yourself in the last row. I know snakes seem like a total gross-out for us ladies, but it was quite fun and educational.
Feb 26th, 2016, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Crellston- super helpful! Thank you!
Feb 26th, 2016, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

CaliLady- Maybe the zoo, but I might have to peace out before the show! Eeep!
Feb 26th, 2016, 12:14 PM

Speaking theoretically here, any lady that got hit by lightning in Burma cannot possibly get bitten by a snake in Bangkok. No one has that much bad luck.

Enjoy your upcoming trip--I am thrilled that you have recovered enough to head back to Asia.
Feb 26th, 2016, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

I feel like I shouldn't tempt fate too much I actually leave for Singapore 9 months to the day since I was hit- so while I feel like it was a lifetime ago, it also feels like it just happened!!
Feb 26th, 2016, 02:27 PM

On one evening do the Calypso Cabaret- ladyboy show, very classy and entertaining. Check it out online for tickets and venue. Take the Anatara boat from Taskin sky train stop. It stops there before it gets to the hotel.
Feb 26th, 2016, 03:11 PM

Warm Saturday morning greetings from a recently concluded Hong Kong business trip to the OP; glad you will holiday in a place I still consider to be one of the centres of the known universe, beloved Bangkok. (Though our sweet home of Singapore can have her moments.)

You have received good suggestions. Will also add the dining option of Chon Thai, located within a place I (we) adore for lodging and dining, The Siam. More info at: thesiamhotel dot com/ Given your stated lodging of the Shangri-La (which I've always enjoyed for work), you'll be in close proximity to The Siam's shuttle boat docking at the Saphan Taksin Pier. Special place (and a bit of a promotion as we are friends with some wondrous individuals who have been involved with The Siam from day one).

Noticed you will be flying into Bangkok from our home of Singapore. Any chance via my primary business / holiday travel carrier, Singapore Airlines? Will be flying her again this evening (SQ2) to SFO for work. Fine airline.

Enjoy your planning; happy for you. Warm Saturday wishes to you and all from Hong Kong,

robert

... Singapore Airlines, You're a Great Way to Fly ...
Feb 26th, 2016, 03:41 PM

the alley is tons of fun.. some make bowls right in the alleyway...bang, bang, bang.
we were taken to a cabinet near the alley entrance which was opened and revealed the bowls to choose from... lots of variations in color, etc. quite reasonable. make sure to buy a "stand" to display it on... tons of rosewood stands everywhere for sale.

restaurants: I got called away.

we love biscotti in the anantara siam (formerly four seasons), gaggan is the most unique experience. we love harmonique near your hotel--basic thai. the new mall, emporium grand (new building directly across sukhumvit from the original emporium mall is fab--lots of choices.

jt outlet has a decent lunch place.

liu in the Conrad for dim sum lunch---yum, yum.

face on a sukhumvit soi.
L'Opera on soi 39, sumhumvit, or is it soi 23?? fab old fashioned Italian.

AND OH SO MANY MORE...
Feb 29th, 2016, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Oksena- I'll be in Singapore for 4 weeks prior to Bangkok, but haven't yet booked flights from SIN to BKK--probably Singapore Airlines, if only to get AA miles/legs.

Rhkkmk-thanks for the restaurant tips, and the rosewood holder!! Looking forward to all of the yummy food choices, however, my wedding dress is not! Good thing I'll still have a few months to work off my 5 weeks of indulgence

Search this Thread