Power Adapters - Thailand & Cambodia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will we need power adapters/convertors for our US electronics (laptop, phone, etc.) in Thailand (as well as Siem Reap)?

I keep hearing conflicting reports: some say most hotels have the standard 3-pronged American outlets and others say you need an adapter.

If we need an adapter, can someone please let me know which one? Thanks!
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 11:35 AM

90% of the time you won't need them. 10% of the time, you use the same ones as in Europe.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 04:24 PM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
It depends on where you stay. We experienced the opposite of offwego - most of our hotels had European-style plugs. And if your appliances are not dual-voltage, then yes, you'll need a converter.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 05:21 PM

American style THREE pronged outlets are very rare, as are polarized outlets (one flat prong bigger than the other). Most outlets will take flat or round two pronged plugs. If your appliances have these, and are dual voltage, then there's usually no problem.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

The appliances in question are US-based. My laptop has a three pronged (two flat, one round grounder) plug and my phone has a standard flat two-pronged.

Are these in need of converters? I'm assuming the laptop will need a 3-to-2 prong converter, but will it need a US 3 prong to European 2 prong?

All these prongs are giving me a headach! Can anyone recommend a converter plug/adapter that is fairly comprehensive and cheap?
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:08 PM

A converter is not typically needed for things like laptops and cell phones, but you may need an adaptor to plug it in. Most places you stay will have one you can borrow.

Let me ask: do you really need to take your laptop and cell phone? Isn't this a vacation??
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:11 PM

you are mixing up converters and adapters....converters change the electricity from one voltage to another and adapters allow you to plug something in in different style holes....

most modern appliances, like cameras, shavers, and maybe your laptop have automotic converters built-in...you will have to read your instruction booklet or call the manufacturer and ask...pluging in a 110 apoliance into 220 will end your use of that applicance probably....BAMB!!!!

you should definately have adapters with you....although depending on the hotel they may be able to supply you with one....the polarized plugs which michael refers to are a real pain and most usa applicance use them now....i just take one of those little gray adapters that you might use with a power tool that convets 3 prongs to just two regular prongs--flat...
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 07:25 PM

wow I must have been lucky. In two trips in three countries, I only needed an adapter once: at Ponheary's guesthouse in Siem Reap.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Original Poster

Kathie,

I appreciate your good intentions an concerns--no need to worry: I need my laptop as I am planning on blogging my entire trip as we take it. This isn't work-related.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 12:25 AM

Here's a good source for converters and adapters.

http://www.eaglecreek.com/accessorie...ters_adapters/
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 07:24 AM

On the Cathay Pacific website www.Cathaypacific.com they have a brief description of each of their destination cities. At the bottom of these pages there is a drawing of the plugs used and a short explanation if necessary. You can easily buy adapter sets in BKK on the street or in shops all over town.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Les

This site should answer all your power questions:
http://kropla.com/electric.htm
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 04:56 PM

You can buy a small kit with converters and adapters at many US stores -- Radio Shack and even Target! I always take the converter and the adapters for whatever countries we are visiting -- the sites listed in other posts are great for figuring out what you need. It only adds a few ounces to your luggage.

I'm debating about bringing my laptop -- we usually bring a portable DVD player for our daughter, although on our most recent trip (China) she really didn't use it much). I figure the laptop is not much heavier and I can use it to research our next destination.

I'm doing my "practice pack" next week, so I'll see what works.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 04:31 AM
sandi

Unless I definitely know what outlets I'll be using in any country, I bring the entire kit - converter and various adapter plugs. It does't weigh much, nor take up any space in luggage... can fit inside a pair of shoes. Then once I'm in-country, I'm prepared for just about anything. If all fails, most hotels can accommodate you with the proper adapter plug.