plug adapters for thailand

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Believe it or not this will be the first time I have ever brought an electrical item (I have drip dry hair) with me to thailand. I have a whole bunch of adapter plugs from trips to Europe in the 1970s but I have no idea which ones to use or if I should get something new. Or can I just get what I need when I get my sim card the day I arrive? Thanks
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 07:22 AM

Gloria- It may depend on where you are staying.
On this last trip I brought a plug adaptor and then did not need it in Thailand as the plugs at the hotel would fit both round (Thai) and straight (US) pins. Just plugged my laptop and chargers right into the wall as both are dual voltage.

Do a search online for "Thailand adaptor plug" and you should come up with a picture of one, See if what you already have matches. It can't hurt to bring it as they are lightweight and small.
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 08:32 AM

Gloria, every place I've ever stayed either has outlets that work for both Thai and US plugs or had adapters readily available for me to borrow.
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 12:46 PM

You have to check to see what voltage your electric device requires. If your device requires 110 V and you plug it into 220 you will know right away! It will fry or melt on you, if it doesn't catch fire first!

I have found outlets in bathrooms (Thailand) that have the same type "2 blade U.S. style" or "round pin" style outlets. Sometimes there is a little tag that says 220/230 and 110/115 volts - but the same size plug will fit into either! You have to be careful and look first!

Old Jan 1st, 2008, 03:28 PM

Most (but not all) outlets in Thailand will take two-prong round or flat plugs, but there are almost no three-prong outlets (this, in a country where lightening storms are a daily event in the rainy season). If your device has a three-prong plug, bring a two prong adapter.