Help on Adapter!

Old Dec 21st, 2008, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help on Adapter!

We are from the US and we are going to Thailand in February of 2009. We have some items that will require plugging in - hair dryer, phone, camera, etc. Is it easy to find an adapter that converts 110 to 220 or should we purchase one from the US before we travel. Also where can we purchase it in the US or in Thailand and how much does it cost. We really enjoy using this website. We have asked many questions about Thailand and have received numerous good replies. Thank you for you past help and for this question. Kapstreak.
Old Dec 21st, 2008, 09:59 AM

As a rule, you don't need converters for phones, computers, or cameras. You can just plug them directly into the wall socket, with the proper two round prong plugs. It's really easy.

As far as the hair dryer, I ruined one in Europe one time, trying to convert it to another current. I won't do that again! Most hotels have their own hair dryers so you need not bring one with you.

I bought a curling iron while in either Bangkok or somewhere in Europe so that I carry it with me when I travel, and don't have to worry about burning up my US one!

Carol
Old Dec 21st, 2008, 10:04 AM

You will need a converter and an adapter for everything but electronic equipment (phones, cameras) which generally runs on both 110 and 220. You will need an adapter though. While you could wait until you get to Thailand to buy, why waste valuable vacation time doing that? Magellan's has about as good a selection as any website I've seen. We usually don't bring hair dryers as most hotels have them in their rooms or will supply one on request - if you don't know if your hotel does, send them an e-mail.
Old Dec 21st, 2008, 10:07 AM

What you need is simply an adapter plug for your electronics (phone, camera, etc). Most hotels have them to lend out - some hotels even have US compatible plugs next to a desk. As Carol says, don't bring a hairdryer. Virtually all hotels have them in the room.

If you are bringing your phone, have you checked to see if it will work in Thailand?
Old Dec 21st, 2008, 05:07 PM

A converter and an adapter are <i>two entirely different things</i>. A converter is a piece of equipment that converts the electricity in say, your hairdryer, from one current to the other. These generally, in my experience, do not work very well, are heavy to lug around as a traveller, and are a waste of money. An “adapter” is the small plug which goes on the end of the plug of your hairdryer and “adapts” your plug to fit the wall socket of the Thai hotel.

Of course your hair dryer must first either be plugged into the converter, OR be dual voltage, for it to work.

Things like phones, DVD players, iPods, PC (i.e. electronic equipment) are almost always “dual voltage”, which means that they will work both in the US and in Thailand. Check your appliance or read the instructions or check the website of the maker. If anything there says that the model you have is &quot;120/240&quot; or &quot;110/230&quot; voltage, then the item is dual voltage and it will work in Thailand. (Note that on some appliance, like hair dryers, you may have to turn a switch or a key to change the voltage from 120 to 220/230. Look at the appliance.)

If it is not dual voltage, you will need to buy and bring a converter with you. However, I would personally just buy a new hair dryer that is dual voltage rather than buying a converter. Any appliance with generates heat generally does not work well with a converter. A converter simply cannot get up the energy necessary to sufficiently work well. It might work OK for the shaver, but not for the dryer. Also, it is very possible that your hotel will supply a hairdryer, so you may not need to bring one.

If the appliance is dual voltage, then all you need is the adaptor plug. You can buy one before you leave, or buy them in Thailand, you can often borrow them from your hotel, and some hotel mini-bars have them for sale. Some hotels in Thailand even have US-type wall sockets so you may not even need an adapter. There is a website called voltagevalet.com that in my experience is a fairly reliable source of information on the type of outlet configurations you are likely to find in virtually any country in the world. Another helpful site is http://www.escapeartist.com/global/W...wer_Guide.html