Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

please,please help me with Shanghai/pudong

Jul 19th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Original Poster

...or at least decent. I posted on an earlier thread that we have a flight that arrives into Pudong at 15:00. We have a flight that leaves Pudong the next day at 8:30am. At first we thought we might stay at the airport and cab into the city and back to check it out...but that seems like a lot of driving after a long flight plus the airport hotel seems kind of $$$$$ and in the middle of nowhere....so now we are thinking of staying in the city. That way we can go for dinner and a walk and see a bit of the city. If we leave by 5:30-6:00am the next morning we should make it to the airport okay? I am looking for a hotel that is on the Pudong side that has easy airport access and is also easy to /walk/cab/subway to the bund area. Don't want to break the bank...$100 US would be okay. More if necessary. I have looked at the Oriental Riverside, Grand Hyatt...is there anything in that area that isn't quite so $$$$$$? Please help!
Jul 19th, 2005, 11:43 PM

have u found a hotel yet? u need one hotel near the bund and easy to getto the airport?(maybe have a taxi service?) contact me if you need (010)62534579 zoe. hope i can help
Jul 20th, 2005, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the offer. I am hoping I can rely on some long-time Fodor posters for some advice here.
Jul 20th, 2005, 03:30 PM

Anything toward the riverfront with views tends to be more expensive.

You could try the Courtyard Marriott. It's located in an area of Pudong that's further east than the Hyatt/Riverside (so no Bund views). It's a rather nondescript business hotel, but clean and comfortable. Weekend rates around $80 per night. Weekday rates tend to be higher as it fills up with business travelers. From here it's a bit too far to walk to the Bund, so you should take a cab or the metro. The Dong Fang Rd metro station is a short walk away (3 stops to Henan Rd where you can get off and walk to the Bund area). Here's what the hotel and surrounding area looks like -

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&x=0&y=-e8wzsg

Within the immediate area of the Courtyard, there are a whole bunch of other hotels. Some that come to mind are the Intercontinental, St. Regis, Holiday Inn, Purple Mountain. Again since these properties mostly cater to business travelers, weekdays rates are usually higher.

I think you should be OK if you leave your hotel by 6:00am.
Jul 20th, 2005, 05:56 PM

The Marriott rates very well with travellers however there is not a great variety of hotels on that side and of a budget price.That said the night view from it over to the Bund is really marvellous . You can catch the fast train from the airport to Pudong but you still need a taxi from there to your hotel whereever it is . The train moves at 400+ kilometres per hour and does the 45km journey in 8 minutes as against a car in light traffic taking 50 minutes to the city centre.It is quite an experience .But it took us just as long to find it , wait for the train , change to a taxi and get to our hotel near the Bund .If you are on the Bund side of the city / river you have places to go and shop by using the plentiful and cheap taxis ( Nanjing Lu for cashmere at No.1 Dept store ) and eat ( Xintiandi ) and walk as against Pudong side which is really geared to business and a few glitzy hotels like the Hyatt .You need a destination card or translation for taxi drivers to Mandarin as not many speak English .Hope this helps a little .
Jul 20th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Original Poster

If we had more time we would stay on the other side of the river. I just want to make our early flight the next morning easier to get to. We plan on doing a bit of late afternoon/ evening sightseeing and supper in the bund/najing road area.
Jul 21st, 2005, 01:45 AM

Corgie, I live in Shanghai so am not much use as far as hotels and their prices go. One suggestion would be to eat at M on the Bund - here you will have a nice view over the river. If you get a dinner view, you might be able to spend less on your hotel that doesn't have a view (you won't be in the room long enough to appreciate it anyway). There is a Sofitel on Nanjing Lu which is not far from People's Square and I'm just guessing that they might have a lower rate. You would be right there in the pedestrian only part of Nanjing Road where there are loads of shops, especially near Pearl City! You don't have much time, so if you did Nanjing Lu and a walk around People's Square and you can walk to the Bund and stroll along for a while. It's about as much as you'll be able to fit in during your few hours visit. The shops generally close at 10 pm.

Another alternative is to have a drink at the Peace Hotel on the corner of Nanjing Road and The Bund, go up to the rooftop, get your view from the Bund side, then get a cab to Paulaner Brauhaus, Binjang Da Dao, Fu Du Duan which is by the Pudong Shanghri-La Hotel phone 6888 3935). Here it is of course more relaxed, cheaper and you then get a view from the other side which is also interesting and you are level with the river. Maybe check out the price of the Shangri-La.

I guess I'm saying that as you are there a short time, research what it is that you just must see in those few hours and then hang around there and sleep there. You will have time to get to the airport as there won't be much traffic at that time of the morning, so half an hour from that part of town will be ample.

I live in Hongqiao, way out west and it takes us an hour to get to Pudong airport.

Hope that helps.
Vicki